Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am a new EV owner and love the Corsa E. The satnav has an update available so downloaded the 18gb update and went out and purchased a 32gb flash drive as per download instructions.

From the Vauxhall website:

Instructions to update your in vehicle navigation map:
Download Process (requires an excellent internet connection)

1. Use an empty USB stick with at least 32 GB memory
  2. Format with “FAT-32 Filesystem”
  3. Start the Download Process by clicking on the Download link below
  4. Save the Map-update file from the server on your Computer (PC) in a named folder
  5. Unzip the downloaded file using WinZip (recommended) into computer (PC) named folder
    • Route: WinZip » Settings » WinZip Option » expanded
    • Make sure, the Option “Conversion LF to CR/LF at TAR Archive” is not selected on WinZip before starting the Unzip process.
I don't have this option on a Mac to unselect LF to CR nor do I have a clue what it means.
  1. Copy the Unzip folders onto your USB stick
  2. The USB stick can now be used in your vehicle for the map update
  3. Follow the instructions on the radio display
Ok so I am in the car ignition on and input the flash drive.

Message reads 'no media' then goes to update screen of european map.

Starts to load then quickly says install failed?

I read on another thread about the car being in motion but that makes no sense to me personally.

Has anyone else had this problem and know of a solution. My Skoda does this all OTA and this is overly complicated.

Help welcome.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Maybe the USB stick is corrupted. I did all the same things. It started updating - but told me I could not drive or remove the USB stick. It went on for a while - and I could not wait anymore as I had to go to work - so I started the car and drove to work. It did not complain about the driving. When I half an hour later arrived at work it was not done so I had to turn it off.
Now the nav is not working and I have no idea how to get it working again. I later read that the update could last for an hour! There must be a way to make it start updating again from scratch.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,124 Posts
Yep. It doesn't work for a few of us. I've tried half a dozen times. Please moan at the dealer and Vauxhall as it's ridiculous that it doesn't work reliably. It doesn't even offer any kind of proper error either.

Once you start the update you must not turn it off until it's finished. That might take a trip to the dealer to sort out as it's probably corrupted the Maps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Morning guys, just an update that I got it working after many failed attempts.
First of all a quick reminder I was using a 32gb flash drive on an Apple Mac with wo zip for Mac. Winzip gave me no option as described in the official process on how to convert so I nearly gave up.

my last method was to plug the flash drive in. Delete the old Nav update and start again. Once downloaded I unzipped in the same way as previous BUT unzipped straight to the flash drive. I have no idea why that worked but it did and first time.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,124 Posts
I've also unzipped straight to the flash drive and that's not worked either. It creates a top folder and the items need to be in the root of the drive not a folder below.

I've also tried it with and without my phone connected, with 2 different flash drives, with winzip for mac and the normal archive utility. I've probably tried 8 or 9 different times now. All fail the the same way with the same message.

I've downloaded it more than once too.

Next attempt might be to unzip to the 32GB USB stick not the 64GB. I tried a bigger one as I wondered whether it was copying the entire old map onto the USB stick before it was copying the new one onto the car so it could go back if it made a mess. I'm now thinking it's not that clever!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I share your frustration as my Skoda does it all OTA whilst my old Passat required me to pat VW £180 for an SD card update that was four years old. It’s inconsistent by manufacturers that’s for sure.

One thing to do if capacity is a concern is to plug the flash drive in and empty your recycle bin as when you delete anything off the flash drive to the recycle bins it doesn’t actually delete it off the flash if you unplug it then empty the recycle bin. Personally I think it wouldn’t let you download again but may be worth a try.

If it does work then you will get in car options of which part of Europe you want to update. I chose just the U.K. which will speed the install update and less likely to encounter more errors. Failing that get to Vauxhall.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,124 Posts
I have fallen into the not emptying the recycle bin trap before so I always make sure it is emptied properly. Or even start with a completely new unused one.

I have done the download a few times now. Seems to keep letting me.

I have complained to Vauxhall and the dealer about the updates not working and not had any kind of indication when they're going to sort it out. It's rather annoying.

I think mine has allowed me to choose the maps once in all the times I tried it. Most of the time it fails before then.

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
47 Posts
Take it to Vauxhall and have a coffee whilst they sort it out
I did and they lied to me. They claimed that a firmware update fixed the issue, which it didn't. Buy a Toshiba 32Gb USB 3.0 stick. It arrives already formatted FAT32. Just copy the SWL folder and the .xml file into the root and try again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts