Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Have you taken out cosmetic car insurance?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

After ordering my 30 kWh Leaf on November 5th it was delivered to the dealer today. I know this because I went there today to conclude the paperwork. As part of the process I was encouraged to take out 'Motorline SMART Cover' (£300 for two years cover). I have not come across this type of insurance before. I declined on the basis that if I hand the car back in two year's time, I will pay for a mobile dent repair technician to come along to make good any minor scrapes. I am very sceptical about all such 'products' offered at the point of sale in the belief that they are often over-priced by the amount of sales commission.

Am I being too cynical?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hello Gary, The dealer gave me a lot of encouragement today to take out gap insurance through them but I declined. I need to do some more research on this to find out which provider gives the most cost-effective cover. I shall peruse existing messages on this forum. Which gap insurance provider did you use Gary?

My apologies Gary, I have just found your post answering the above question.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
I have always worked on the basis that I haven't needed to do that kind of work yet in 4 years of ownership and so I will save my money and spend it if and when it is needed.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Just taken total loss gap with 123 Gap for our x-trail which cost £105 for 3 years and will provide a new replacement in the event of a write off. Leaf is £135 because it's over £30K so sits in the next price bracket.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got ours from ala which is www.ala.co.uk

it was 120 for the 30kwh leaf (I played very safe with level of cover though so it might be cheaper if you are sensible with how much cover you need) and if you use an honestjohn code of HJ65 it will give you 10% off

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Not heard of that one. Wasn't pushed on me.

What did you do about gap insurance? I took it out, but not from Nissan because it can be found for a fraction of the price elsewhere.
Check your insurance policy carefully before you go spending unnecessarily. Some of the better policies from places such as Aviva or NFU include GAP insurance, in some cases for the first two years of ownership. Others such as Admiral, include nothing. The small price difference between Aviva and Admiral was more than compensated for by provision of GAP insurance. The wording may not mention GAP, but you're looking for wording along the lines of new for old replacement of new cars.
I have always worked on the basis that I haven't needed to do that kind of work yet in 4 years of ownership and so I will save my money and spend it if and when it is needed.
I might be wrong, but I thought you'd bought your LEAF outright? We just returned ours to RCI who send the Mannheim inspectors out to appraise the car before it gets accepted for return. A guy goes over it with a fine toothcomb for nearly an hour with various little flappy tools and sprays to see if if he can find anything that isn't "fair wear and tear". Some have been hit with heavy charges. Ours got a clean bill of health, but we ended up spending just under £200 at the local dingmaster place to make it right - mysterious bumper chip to repair, and machine polish some suncream marks and light scratches out.

I still think £300 is too much. We were unlucky with the bumper chips - they'd only recently appeared and none of us could recall hitting or scraping anything. Excluding the bumper repairs & partial respray tidying ours up would have cost £60-80. Oh, I nearly forgot - we also got super unlucky and the whole rear tailgate suffered multiple shallow dents from a wooden fence post that uprooted itself, flew 3m and landed on the LEAF. Still partially attached it continued to batter the tailgate until we managed to wrestle it down (in v high winds). Again sorted with £60 to Mike Schooling for fitting a new high level brake light (smashed) and £60 to a local independent dent repair wizard (the franchises wouldn't touch it - too many dents close together = too difficult). The general machine polish removed or lessened the light scratches to "fair wear" acceptable standards. Ok, not a good example as over its lifetime we spent just over £300 but I think we were v. unlucky.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
Yes. I did buy outright but the principle still applies... if you think it will cost you more than £300 (or whatever the premium is) to do it yourself then take the insurance. I have never needed to spend that much on small repairs when I came to sell so I take the risk myself. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts