Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Hi all, after first looking at an Ampera 4yrs who, I’ve finally taken the plunge, with a Volt, which needs a new nearside driveshaft assembly. Was quoted £1,040 by Bellingers (£150 more than what is presumably the same part for an Ampera). Thanks to Volt69 for starting this thread (and Red2 for the update)! I will now get on to Rockauto. Do any of you who have had this repair done have anything else worth adding o the matter?
Just tell your Indy if they are at all worried about the 400v EV system this is nothing to do with that. Just a mechanical job and if the disconnect the 12v battery it triggers a solonoid that isolated the battery pack so all those thick orange wires under the bonnet have no voltage in them. And it is a 1 1/2hr to 2 hr job max so agree the Labour before. If they want 4-5 hrs chose a better Indy. Mine did it in 1.5 hrs.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just a footnote on this, repair all done and car now driving great. Rockauto bill came to £77 inc shipping. Mechanic was £60 for a 90minute job. £10 spent on brekkie in the cafe while waiting for the work to be completed. So all in, it's cost me less than £150.Thanks again to those that set the ball rolling in this thread, and Donald for helping me with the service manual.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Great thread! I am in Spain and the main stealers are absolutely useless here and don't even want to know about the Ampera when it comes to selling parts. So I have to go to the only dealer in Barcelona, 2 hours away. Also if I had wanted to get the work done by them it would end up leaving the car with them for a week and be carless, as happened the one time I had to take it to them. (they said the Ampera wasn't meant for everyday and only to be used as a second car) I have just ordered from Rockauto. So this has been a money and time saver.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts