Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm unable to use the OLEV grant, I won't go into why. So, I'm going to buy the Tesla wall charger for £460 and have an electrician fit it.

So far I've had two quotes, one for £500 and one for £800. They both say that a Tesla charger is more expensive to fit because it needs a Type B RCD, which is included in their quotes.

Does £500 seem about right or should I try to look for cheaper? It's higher than I thought. I thought I'd only need to pay £200 - 300 to cover a fitters time and some cabling and components.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
If you want to save money, use the UMC. I had a commando socket installed. I went to screwfix and got the socket (£15) and had a local sparky install the RCD and cabling. I think it was around £75 all in. I've used mine for 3 years and no issues.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
If you want to save money, use the UMC. I had a commando socket installed. I went to screwfix and got the socket (£15) and had a local sparky install the RCD and cabling. I think it was around £75 all in. I've used mine for 3 years and no issues.
That now requires the same RCD type B protection, as the regs are for all outlets that may be used for EV charging.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I recently had a Rolec Smart EV charge point fitted with a 10m tethered cable, cost me £415 after OLEV grant.
£500 sounds reasonable?

·
Registered
887 Posts
I'm guessing the quote doesn't include the charger as thats £500+ on its own.

There's been talk in other places that the regs have changed to demand a specific RCD thats quite expensive as a part, and some chargers have it built in (or they circumvent the regs somehow) like the Rolec, but which the Tesla doesn't have.

But even a commando socket can cost £500 as thats what mine cost back in the day when Tesla paid for them, but I did need a 30M run of cable and a second distribution board in the garage, if I was paying I may have looked a bit more closely though

·
Registered
682 Posts
For what it's worth, I looked into getting a home charger installed at my parents place (they don't have an EV but I do enough trips to make it somewhat justified). The cheapest quote we got from an electrician was £400 (that didn't even include the charger which I'd be providing). It was a lot more than I thought so I ended up scrapping the whole idea. Incidentally, it wasn't going to be any cheaper even if me and my dad had run the main cabling (the biggest job) but left the cabling disconnected. The sparky would only have to then do the job at both ends to connect it up. Anyway, seems like it was mega over priced.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I'm unable to use the OLEV grant, I won't go into why. So, I'm going to buy the Tesla wall charger for £460 and have an electrician fit it.

So far I've had two quotes, one for £500 and one for £800. They both say that a Tesla charger is more expensive to fit because it needs a Type B RCD, which is included in their quotes.

Does £500 seem about right or should I try to look for cheaper? It's higher than I thought. I thought I'd only need to pay £200 - 300 to cover a fitters time and some cabling and components.
I just googled the cost of Type B RCD, the first price I came across was £114, unless you have no spare way in your consumer unit, can't imagine he wanted another £400 for labour!!

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I just googled the cost of Type B RCD, the first price I came across was £114, unless you have no spare way in your consumer unit, can't imagine he wanted another £400 for labour!!
Which Brand if type B RCD. Most are around £350. Possibly Chint would be around that price you quoted but no idea as to quality.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Which Brand if type B RCD. Most are around £350. Possibly Chint would be around that price you quoted but no idea as to quality.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts