Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my first EV last week (2016 Zoe) and now looking to get a home charger installed.
As I already have solar PVs I am thinking of getting a Zappi. I realise that I probably won't be able to do a full charge from the solar but I think a combination of solar and overnight economy rate would be a good way to go.
Does anyone have experience of getting a Zappi installed and specifically how much it might cost. I can see on the Myenergi website that the charger itself is around £500 but no mention of installation costs. I'm going to get some quotes from local installers but wondered if anyone could give guidance on what would be reasonable.
Appreciate that each install might be different but having a rough idea of what other people have paid might be helpful.
Thanks.

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
1,305 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
My olev approved "decent local sparky" wanted over £1200 off me to install a Zappi, Harvi and two CT clamps. Had an interesting exchange about how they arrived at that figure which seemed to come out as about 25% loaded for no reason. Obviously they didn't get the job. Would be cheaper to do it myself without the grant and buy direct from MyEnergi but still in no rush given the ongoing issues.

·
Registered
189 Posts
My olev approved "decent local sparky" wanted over £1200 off me to install a Zappi, Harvi and two CT clamps. Had an interesting exchange about how they arrived at that figure which seemed to come out as about 25% loaded for no reason. Obviously they didn't get the job. Would be cheaper to do it myself without the grant and buy direct from MyEnergi but still in no rush given the ongoing issues.
That is mental. The Harvi install takes 2 minutes, as it just sits in the electric cabinet. Which leaves the Zappi to be installed in the usual EVSE way. With grant, you shouldn't really be looking to spend more than around £500, depending on cable run. Your "decent local sparky" is a total chancer and I'd avoid him like the plague.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quick update.
I have asked for two quotes from Myenergi approved installers.
The first one is £505. Includes Zappi, Harvi and some additional cabling as required. That's a bit more than I was originally expecting so will wait and see what the other quote says.

·
Short term PHEV
560 Posts
£500 sounds like it is in the right ballpark after OLEV grant and by that I mean compared to other quotes I've seen where the installers are keeping a sizeable chunk of the grant as extra margin.
I negotiated our installer down to £300 for the Zappi install and I dare say he's still quids in. Harvi is £50 plus setup and with additional cabling I'd be estimating c£450.
Best ask him how many hours he expects to be there as you might have to go out, then you can work out what hes charging per hour plus maybe some admin time to order the goods, process the grant and travel time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
had mine installed last week in NL and tbh normally services inc trade labour costs are a little higher in NL than UK ( london excluded) and it took under 2 hours to install and the most expensive part was a 25 amp breaker ( about 140 euro alone ) and even including this and some other bits and bobs like the conduit cable came in at 310 euro .inc VAT well in NL its called Btw there is no way it should be north of 1k installed and taking off OLEV grant 500 pounds should be the absolute max even though that's still high

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone.
With the quotes I've had and the ongoing Zappi / Harvi issues discussed elsewhere on the forum I have decided to put installation on hold for now.
I'm lucky that I have two public chargers very close to home so I am going to continue with these for now and revisit it in a few months time.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks everyone.
With the quotes I've had and the ongoing Zappi / Harvi issues discussed elsewhere on the forum I have decided to put installation on hold for now.
I'm lucky that I have two public chargers very close to home so I am going to continue with these for now and revisit it in a few months time.
Please don't make that decision on the basis of anything I've posted, the Zappi really is excellent once it's configured/setup properly. Would you need a harvi or would it be possible to get a line into your fusebox/inverter?

Be aware that the OLEV grant is time-limited, I think it's three months from when you receive the vehicle but you'd want to check - potentially by delaying you could end up costing yourself £500 extra.

·
Registered
81 Posts
My quote was £650 installation with the OLEV hopefully taking care of the unit, but the distance from fuse box/meter to installation point is extensive (as well as expensive). I think that might include a Harvi so I am going to read up on some of the problems that posters here are experiencing.
Not sure that the OLEV is restricted to 3 months? I have had phev for 2 years and the installer didn’t foresee any problem with the Zappi being installed.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Not sure that the OLEV is restricted to 3 months? I have had phev for 2 years and the installer didn’t foresee any problem with the Zappi being installed.
No time limit as to when you use the OLEV grant, as long as you have the vehicle and are meant to be keeping it for at least 6 months (Though the 6 months only applies to a lease). If the vehicle's on order, as above you can use the grant up to 4 months ahead of the expected vehicle delivery date.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi

I got a 7.4kw zappi charger installed from Engie electrical when I changed my electricity over to their EV tariff. Total cost was £259. That also included a 32amp 2 way consumer unit and earth spike.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hi

I got a 7.4kw zappi charger installed from Engie electrical when I changed my electricity over to their EV tariff. Total cost was £259. That also included a 32amp 2 way consumer unit and earth spike.
That's a very good price. Sadly they don't seem to operate in my area.

I too am thinking about the Zappi, but the reported problems have really put me off seeing as it seems to be at least £100 more expensive than cheaper units.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
189 Posts
That's a very good price. Sadly they don't seem to operate in my area.

I too am thinking about the Zappi, but the reported problems have really put me off seeing as it seems to be at least £100 more expensive than cheaper units.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
It all very much depends on your required setup. It you only need a Zappi, and you can run a cable to the meter cabinet to measure grid movement, then that should work fine. The majority of the current issues only kick in if you need to use a Harvi to measure grid use.

·
Registered
506 Posts
It all very much depends on your required setup. It you only need a Zappi, and you can run a cable to the meter cabinet to measure grid movement, then that should work fine. The majority of the current issues only kick in if you need to use a Harvi to measure grid use.
I think I probably would need to use Harvi - I have a new build house with the fuse box in the middle of the house, the incoming electric on one corner, and the garage on the opposite side. Developers should really be forced to install chargers (and batteries) in addition to solar IMHO.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
About this Discussion
35 Replies
23 Participants
kevuwk
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing