Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
I think I probably would need to use Harvi - I have a new build house with the fuse box in the middle of the house, the incoming electric on one corner, and the garage on the opposite side. Developers should really be forced to install chargers (and batteries) in addition to solar IMHO.
Sounds just like my house. A right PITA. Sparky had to run a cable under the floorboards from the consumer unit from the middle of the house to the garage, and the Harvi sits in the meter cupboard on the opposite side.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Sounds just like my house. A right PITA. Sparky had to run a cable under the floorboards from the consumer unit from the middle of the house to the garage, and the Harvi sits in the meter cupboard on the opposite side.
I have a solid floor downstairs. Unless you mean he ran it in the ceiling void between the ground and first floors? Which I don't think we can do as the stairs are in the way.

The most frustrating thing is the few installers I have asked, have asked for photos of the house and meter cupboard etc along with a plan and my proposed route for the cabling; I don't know. They're supposed to be the professionals. That's what I'm paying for; their expertise.

Mini rant over.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have a solid floor downstairs. Unless you mean he ran it in the ceiling void between the ground and first floors? Which I don't think we can do as the stairs are in the way.

The most frustrating thing is the few installers I have asked, have asked for photos of the house and meter cupboard etc along with a plan and my proposed route for the cabling; I don't know. They're supposed to be the professionals. That's what I'm paying for; their expertise.

Mini rant over.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Our ground floor is concrete, so no chance going through that. The cable runs up into the ceiling between ground and first floor, then across to the garage between the floors. The end result is tidy, but it did require pulling up the carpets and cutting out holes in the floorboards.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I really want to install a Zappi (& Harvi).
I'm in a new build (I built it myself) with a PV array.
I had a 6mm armoured cable connected from the consumer unit in the house to the place where I would like the charger to be installed - on a wall outside - whilst the house was being built - so the installer doesn't need to run a cable.
The only quote I've had is £495 without a Harvi.
I have to assume the installers don't pay RRP for the charger
I'm no electrician but nearly £500 for a max of 2 hours work is outrageous - of the 4 installers only 2 replied …… and only one quoted.
The quality of Zappi installers seems utterly appalling.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I really want to install a Zappi (& Harvi).
I'm in a new build (I built it myself) with a PV array.
I had a 6mm armoured cable connected from the consumer unit in the house to the place where I would like the charger to be installed - on a wall outside - whilst the house was being built - so the installer doesn't need to run a cable.
The only quote I've had is £495 without a Harvi.
I have to assume the installers don't pay RRP for the charger
I'm no electrician but nearly £500 for a max of 2 hours work is outrageous - of the 4 installers only 2 replied …… and only one quoted.
The quality of Zappi installers seems utterly appalling.
EVSE installation is a right little earner at the moment. Many installers will charge around £500 plus the grant. If it's an easy install they're taking home more than £500 for an hour's or so work.

·
Short term PHEV
560 Posts
It’s definitely not an hours work tho. To install a Zappi competently at a steady pace, setup and test, carry out all the necessary checks and documents on site, I’d put that at 2 hours at least. Add in travel time, initial survey, kit order, grant forms, billing and certification.

£300 after grant seems to be the going rate for a straightforward install at the moment.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, this is the quote I’ve just received from Jorro Ltd in Alloa....

£1399.00 Total installation cost inc VAT

- £500 OLEV Grant

= £899.00 installation cost (to be paid by customer)

Needless to say I won’t be using them. There appears to be a limited number of suppliers in Scotland to supply the Zappi unit and I’m waiting for company number 2 to get back to me with a price. Given that I can charge for free at many local charge stations it would take me years to claw back that substantial cost of installation.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have just had a quote... almost the same total. Again in Scotland. I'm in Fife
The job is a bit of a pita.. complex internal cable run, 3 ft thick stone walls in the house and then a 25m run, using armour cable to the charge point..

Have the Zappi isues been rectified? To me it looks like the best option for a smart charge point...

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I’m roughly the same as you but Edinburgh. Complex install, cable head/fuse and CU in different cupboards, 3ft thick stone walls, solid floor, 30m cable run, and including installing a duct under a garden path. Been quoted £1189 and £1549 from two outside-Edinburgh Zappi installers.
Haven’t made a decision yet, but will have to soon as getting fed-up driving to UoE bays just to get a charge.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Well, this is the quote I’ve just received from Jorro Ltd in Alloa....

£1399.00 Total installation cost inc VAT

- £500 OLEV Grant

= £899.00 installation cost (to be paid by customer)

Needless to say I won’t be using them. There appears to be a limited number of suppliers in Scotland to supply the Zappi unit and I’m waiting for company number 2 to get back to me with a price. Given that I can charge for free at many local charge stations it would take me years to claw back that substantial cost of installation.
What part of Scotland. I might be able to put you in touch with other Zappi installers!

·
Registered
599 Posts
What part of Scotland. I might be able to put you in touch with other Zappi installers!
I may also be interested. I have a Zappi in Dundee. Want to move it to new house near Inverness sometime in next few months (hopefully!)

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Just to add to this thread, I got a new EV in March and I looked at the cost of replacing an existing charger with a Zappi 2. The previous charger was installed in a new build without an OLEV grant. As it happened, the electrical sub-contractor made a complete dogs breakfast of the original installation and had to return to put in a dedicated 40 amp radial circuit with its own RCBO; earthing rod etc.

I sent two installers photos etc asking for a quote. The cheapest quote was £549. When I queried it I was told ‘latest regulations’. It‘s a racket.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Just to try and provide some balance, we do Zappi V2 installs for around £1200 less the grant and we don't make much money on them - so much so that we're going to stop offering them.

I sent two installers photos etc asking for a quote. The cheapest quote was £549. When I queried it I was told ‘latest regulations’. It‘s a racket.
I'd say that's a good price. I don't know why you claim it's a racket, that seems very unfair. I suspect they're not making a profit at that price.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just to try and provide some balance, we do Zappi V2 installs for around £1200 less the grant and we don't make much money on them - so much so that we're going to stop offering them.

I'd say that's a good price. I don't know why you claim it's a racket, that seems very unfair. I suspect they're not making a profit at that price.
Not trying to defend the poster but the Zappi 2 including hub is £780 untethered or £810 tethered direct from Myenergi. That means the electrian is charging £240-270 to remove the existing EVSE and install the Zappi on the existing cable. I recently paid £594 after the grant for a full Zappi 2 tethered install.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
About this Discussion
35 Replies
23 Participants
kevuwk
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing