Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just had my local mechanic replace the two rear coil springs after the driver's side one snapped the other day. The pair of replacement (third party) springs were about £36 +VAT each, I believe (plus about 45 minutes of his time to swap them both). Unfortunately the top rubber that sits between the spring and the mounting point was missing, so have had to order one from the local Nissan dealer - at about £65 +VAT

The car was with the main dealer recently to get the battery earth strap recall done and I noticed an odd noise at the rear of the car on the following day, so called them and popped in for them to take a look on the Saturday morning - they didn't notice the spring that was clearly on the way out, but I had also mentioned the parking brake binding on reversing and I was informed that one of the brake cables was split and letting in water - just checked the price for the cables (one each side) and been told that the left one is about £114 +VAT and the right one £98 +VAT. I was just going to replace them both assuming they wouldn't be too expensive (it's an October 2014 reg that I'm planning to keep for a few more years), but now wondering about just replacing the duff one! I've had a look and there's no third-party brake cables available from auto parts suppliers, so far as I can see.

Is it just me, or do the official parts prices seem a bit on the high side?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I never saw a "official" part to be cheap.
Last week I replaced all 4 wheel bearings for my Honda motorbike.
2 front ones cost under £10 by NSK, rear ones was £4.50 and £28 the other.
Honda sells the front set by £110, surprisingly, made by NSK.
I think £100 for a plastic bag saying "Honda" is ridiculous...
But all automakers are a bunch or rip-offs

·
Registered
438 Posts
It is world-wide. I had a Toyota Tarago in Aussie in the early 2000's and needed a new toggle switch for the console. Toyota price? A$84.50 Local electronics parts store price A$1.45.

·
Registered
438 Posts
multiple posts forum playing up tonight.

·
Registered
438 Posts
multiple posts forum playing up tonight.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
The quid pro quo is supposed to be that franchised dealers hold or at least retain access to all parts for at least 10 years. However, if that was ever true it is no longer, just ask an Ampera owner.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts