Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Hope you don't mind me poking my nose in from my normal haunt of the Tesla section, having this car has made me a fan of all EV's, the Kona being no exception :)

I'd previously put together a calculator to work out how much it costs to charge various Tesla's, but have recently made an all EV version. With the calc you choose your car (39 or 64 kWh), starting %, finishing % and also your home usage if you know it - by default that goes to 9kWh, as supposedly the UK average is between 8-10kWh.

It then shows the cost to charge your car, your house and both combined. It features the most 'EV friendly' suppliers, but there is also a section to allow you to input a custom supplier in there to compare against, you could even put your current supplier in to see how they compare against some of the others.

Prices are all based on where I live (SG postcode), but gives you a good idea on the prices. The calculator also factors in charging loss and usable battery size.

Would love any feedback on it you have :)

Thanks,
Dave.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice calculator!
Actually I made one too, more aimed towards calculating DC fast charging but works with any charger:
www.ev-charge-cost.com
I have one of those I made in Google Sheets that I still need to port over, it's on the to-do list :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thanks for this - it has alerted me to EDF Go tariff, which might suit us better than Octopus Go, which we are currently on.
One thing which I can't see being taken into account in the calculator is the standing charge, which is quite a significant proportion for us, as our usage is very low. Is it in there somewhere?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for this - it has alerted me to EDF Go tariff, which might suit us better than Octopus Go, which we are currently on.
One thing which I can't see being taken into account in the calculator is the standing charge, which is quite a significant proportion for us, as our usage is very low. Is it in there somewhere?
Hi @yclaire standing charges are baked into the calculation already :)

I was surprised by how many people click through to EDF, depending on your energy usage it's definitely a compelling option.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Hi @yclaire standing charges are baked into the calculation already :)

I was surprised by how many people click through to EDF, depending on your energy usage it's definitely a compelling option.
We are in our second year with the EDF Go tariff. For our usage, 10 hours a night and the whole weekend at 7p/kWh with a PowerVault battery works great. In winter we charge the battery overnight and use it during the day when it's peak tariff, and in the summer we are practically off grid. :)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We are in our second year with the EDF Go tariff. For our usage, 10 hours a night and the whole weekend at 7p/kWh with a PowerVault battery works great. In winter we charge the battery overnight and use it during the day when it's peak tariff, and in the summer we are practically off grid. :)
Sounds great! - If there wasn't a whole bunch of other stuff to do in my house first I'd love to get some kind of battery storage and solar. I'd be in a lot of trouble though if I saved for that over a new kitchen first though :D

·
Registered
586 Posts
Sounds great! - If there wasn't a whole bunch of other stuff to do in my house first I'd love to get some kind of battery storage and solar. I'd be in a lot of trouble though if I saved for that over a new kitchen first though :D
Maybe you could hide the cost in the price of a new kitchen? An expensive kitchen, but made with quality materials! ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts