1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Bit of a back story here;

I'm an EV fan through and through.

I owned 24kWh LEAF from 2014 to 2019 and piled 85k miles on it. Great car and was used as a 2nd car. Range was an issue in the end only getting 50 miles in winter just wasn't enough.

Chopped it in for my dream car in August 2019 the Model 3. Again great car and had all plans making the most of the 200 mile range it can deliver. Turns out though lockdown its just been used again as my car to commute back and forth to work and as I have 2 very young children if we do stretch the range we just take my other half's diesel SUV because we just don't want to stop to recharge. So it's not getting the use it deserves.

After I've been offered an amazing price by www.motorway.co.uk dealer I've decided to sell it and not much of a loss from when I bought it in August 2019. I'm on the lookout for a replacement.

Still there isn't anything out there on the electric side of things that jump out at me. It needs to be practical to carry out the day to day things with a 9 month old and a 4 year old. It needs to tackle my 50 mile daily commute with ease and buffer outside of this. So 100 mile range in the harshest of weather's on the rare occasion. Also as it's going to be the 2nd run around car that munches the mileage on a daily basis I don't want to spend another £30k+ again.

The obvious choice really is the MG ZS EV. Went to look at it today and it was good, not overly fussed by the looks but felt very solid car and good quality interior to be fair. It has to he the exclusive model. But £21k for an ex demo 12 month old seems a bit steep to me. I'd be happy to pay around the 18k-19k mark. Biggest thing putting me off an MG mainly is the depreciation as there seems to be talk of face-lift models coming out soon which would plummet that £21k purchase in my opinion. The range is OK and it's fine for me, but for £21k I'd want a bit more range from an MG. The MG5 is another option but I'm really not fussed on the looks and again there is a face-lift around the corner which looks alot better. So will the residuals fall through the floor?

It then got me thinking what about a PHEV? I have a workplace charger luckily enough and have stumbled upon Kia Optima PHEV's. Looks a good spec. 2016/2017 models with low mileage and the remaining 7 year warranty for around the £12-14k mark. With having a work place charging all my 50 mile commute should be achievable on electric only. The petrol will always be there as backup.

I drive 15k miles a year. In theory a 90% of this mileage should be achieved on EV only power.

What do you think guys?

·
Registered
458 Posts
I don’t understand the model 3 - did you try charging? I guess with very little ones if they’re sleeping you might want to push on and not stop, but soon enough you’ll be needing to stop fairly regularly for pee stops, stretching legs etc and it’d probably be totally fine.

feels like a false economy to me?

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Why do people say what a magnificent car the REX is (I3 or similar) but slag off PHEV's - they are basically the same thing!

For what it's worth, whilst I like EV - I also like PHEV - if you can't afford a long range EV (which are 30k + then a good PHEV can be 10-15k and no range anxiety.

If it works for you - buy it!

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You’ll also need to look into how the heater on the Optima works. If it’s like the other Kia PHEV’s running the heater forces the engine to run. So, for maybe a third of the year the engine will be running daily on the morning commute even though the mileage was on paper doable in EV mode.
That's a thought I hadn't thought about that. Cheers.

·
Registered
414 Posts
As my sig shows, I’ve had both BEV and PHEV. And although it’s a very long time ago, I do get the point about the tiny children...

The Optima has twice as much EV mileage as my PiP did, but it still seems to be a bit over 30 miles, not 50? However, it seems to let you go up to 75mph before kicking in the ICE (though I doubt you get anything like 30 miles for that). Mine use to kick in at about 55.

Anyway, the point about the heater is a good one. I had a 30 mile commute (each way, but charging at work). In summer, I did the stop start bits at both ends on electric, then used the ICE for the motorway-type bit in between - that worked well. But in winter I either had to wrap up warm initially or have a quick blast of ICE to warm the car up and clear the windscreen.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don’t understand the model 3 - did you try charging? I guess with very little ones if they’re sleeping you might want to push on and not stop, but soon enough you’ll be needing to stop fairly regularly for pee stops, stretching legs etc and it’d probably be totally fine.

feels like a false economy to me?
Yes I have tried charging and it's great. But like you said with 2 little ones anything outside of the range of the car we just take the diesel SUV to save stopping. If it was just me and the other half we have no problem stopping for a charge.

That's why Im having a change of heart and means that I've had a very good price for my Model 3 I'm just going to swap it for an MG ZS which is a bit more hard wearing for 2 young kids (with out me nearly having a heart attack when the 4 year old is in the back of the Model 3 with a big ice cream 😂).

I just want a car that I don't pamper basically and am on edge with my young kids having their feet up on the door or whatever they do 😂 the MG ZS seems a good choice for my current needs for the next few years.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I suspect you could find a 2nd hand 30/40kwh leaf now for a much cheaper price. I think it's daft to drag an engine round all year for the one time you go on holiday.
I've had a 24kWh LEAF for 5 years. Don't fancy another one.

Ioniq is OK but that split rear windscreen is a big no no for me.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,744 Posts
Ioniq is OK but that split rear windscreen is a big no no for me.
Why? You drive looking forwards, don't you. And only glance backwards now and then. As well as checking the wing mirrors. So you mentally build up a picture of what's behind. Everyone who has driven an Ioniq for some time says that they don't even notice it after a while. And it certainly doesn't cause any problems over being suddenly surprised by something that the spoiler had hidden. Which is the fear over such comments as yours. Doesn't happen. Its yet another problem perceived rather than real. And it's a shame; because you will miss out on a great car due to this false fear.

·
Registered
Puma GTE > Suzuki Jimny > BMW Z4 > Cupra Leon ST
101 Posts
Hi all,

I owned 24kWh LEAF from 2014 to 2019 and piled 85k miles on it. Great car and was used as a 2nd car. Range was an issue in the end only getting 50 miles in winter just wasn't enough.

Chopped it in for my dream car in August 2019 the Model 3. Again great car and had all plans making the most of the 200 mile range it can deliver. Turns out though lockdown its just been used again as my car to commute back and forth to work and as I have 2 very young children if we do stretch the range we just take my other half's diesel SUV because we just don't want to stop to recharge. So it's not getting the use it deserves.

After I've been offered an amazing price by www.motorway.co.uk dealer I've decided to sell it and not much of a loss from when I bought it in August 2019. I'm on the lookout for a replacement.

Still there isn't anything out there on the electric side of things that jump out at me. It needs to be practical to carry out the day to day things with a 9 month old and a 4 year old. It needs to tackle my 50 mile daily commute with ease and buffer outside of this. So 100 mile range in the harshest of weather's on the rare occasion. Also as it's going to be the 2nd run around car that munches the mileage on a daily basis I don't want to spend another £30k+ again.

The obvious choice really is the MG ZS EV. Went to look at it today and it was good, not overly fussed by the looks but felt very solid car and good quality interior to be fair. It has to he the exclusive model. But £21k for an ex demo 12 month old seems a bit steep to me. I'd be happy to pay around the 18k-19k mark. Biggest thing putting me off an MG mainly is the depreciation as there seems to be talk of face-lift models coming out soon which would plummet that £21k purchase in my opinion. The range is OK and it's fine for me, but for £21k I'd want a bit more range from an MG. The MG5 is another option but I'm really not fussed on the looks and again there is a face-lift around the corner which looks alot better. So will the residuals fall through the floor?

It then got me thinking what about a PHEV? I have a workplace charger luckily enough and have stumbled upon Kia Optima PHEV's. Looks a good spec. 2016/2017 models with low mileage and the remaining 7 year warranty for around the £12-14k mark. With having a work place charging all my 50 mile commute should be achievable on electric only. The petrol will always be there as backup.

I drive 15k miles a year. In theory a 90% of this mileage should be achieved on EV only power.

What do you think guys?
Have you thought about a slightly used MG (something with 1 year old or something like this...) this one you would skip a good chunk of the depreciation...

As for the PHEV, I don’t know about the others, but my cupra Leon ST allow me to program it to defrost everything +climatize the car. If you do it while you are at work and at home while charging no range would be lost and the car would be nice and warm when you decide to go.
Electric driving is very nice but at the end of the day you have to chose something the wiöl fit your use and don’t mind what the others might say.

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, HS PHEV
2,895 Posts
Why do people say what a magnificent car the REX is (I3 or similar) but slag off PHEV's - they are basically the same thing!

For what it's worth, whilst I like EV - I also like PHEV - if you can't afford a long range EV (which are 30k + then a good PHEV can be 10-15k and no range anxiety.

I have (had) Outlander Phev (currently doing through insurance business) and it was great for daily 20 miles usage in EV mode.
Winter was a pain as engine would cut in if heating was on. I since invested in Phev box but alas that didn’t last long.

The newer Outlander do 30ish miles. Debating my next step while waiting for insurance to decide if it’s a write off or not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,823 Posts

Because they aren't the same thing? Rex does maybe 100-150 miles depending on model, there's pretty much no PHEV that does more than 30 miles pure electric, especially when heater is on, as said and soem them even have the engine kick in when you put your foot down, whereas a Rex will drive fully and only on electric. You also have to be very sure about plugging in every day. So I suspect most PHEVs get much less electric only range than could be achieved, by a huge margin, because of these factors, (outside those who buy them just asa tax dodge. )

For the OP I'm surprised they can do 200 miles with two small kids without at least one stop. My experience was every couple of hours, say 100 miles, unless at night when they are asleep in which case a 20 minute stop won't wake them up (say if you are driving 300 miles)

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Why? You drive looking forwards, don't you. And only glance backwards now and then. As well as checking the wing mirrors. So you mentally build up a picture of what's behind. Everyone who has driven an Ioniq for some time says that they don't even notice it after a while. And it certainly doesn't cause any problems over being suddenly surprised by something that the spoiler had hidden. Which is the fear over such comments as yours. Doesn't happen. Its yet another problem perceived rather than real. And it's a shame; because you will miss out on a great car due to this false fear.
I hada civic with split rear screen and could live with it but aftera while found it an irritation enough that it was a point against on new cars when looking to replace it. I very much doubt I'd buy another car like that. Others MMV :)

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
32,019 Posts
Hi all,

What do you think guys?
An Optima may be perfect if your commute is total 30 miles a day, or 30 miles there and you can charge at work.

If your commute is 60 miles away (which 85k in 5 years might suggest) then it might well end up burning/costing more fuel than a Euro 6 diesel and emitting more CO2 and particulates.

I've also been watching the prices of these for the last few months, as you say given the 2 years remaining warranty, and I could not justify the extra purchase price, the premium for the plug in would never be recouped over alternatives on which one can also get 2 year warranties.

What are the specifics? What is your commute mileage?

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
I can chuck my experience in the pot for consideration, FWIW. I owned a Prius PHEV for 5 years. My weekday commute was 16 miles each way and I could charge at both ends. In the summer, most of the commute was in EV mode, in winter only a small part of it was (mainly because of the heater relying on the engine). The amount of fuel I used was ludicrously small, I think the average fuel consumption over the ~65,000 miles I drove came to about 135mpg, and that included long holiday trips up to the North of Scotland and down to the South of France. In summer the car would easily do around 165mpg on my commute, often a lot more.

In environmental terms it clearly wasn't as good as a pure EV, but was probably better then the raw numbers might suggest. In towns, cities and urban areas it would almost always be in EV mode, so no worse there (where air quality tends to be a lot poorer) then a pure EV. The flip side was that it was always in ICE mode on motorways and other fast roads, however these sorts of roads don't tend to present the same sort of air pollution problems that urban roads do.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts