Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Could Outlander be causing Electrical Problems?

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  @MP 
#1 ·
I recently bought a used Outlander PHEV.

Charging using the 13A wall socket cable to charge.

Though twice now have noticed that after charging electrical items in the house which have been plugged in to the same ring main have stopped working.

I wondered whether this was coincidence or whether the surge of the Outlander taking a charge is causing the ring main to have an electrical issue which is in turn blowing the electrical items. So far a laptop and a internet router have died in two days and it seems to much of a coincidence.

Anyone experienced similar or have any ideas?

#4 ·
Get a cable taken from the consumer unit to a single socket for the EV. Ask the spark to use 4mm twin and earth with MK or other quality socket. EV's running 10a on a ring main is not a good idea.

I believe the OLEV funding applies once per car to a maximum of 2 cars. So whilst you could take the wall unit with you, you would need to pay for installation at the new premises.

#6 ·
How old is your Consumer Unit and does it have a single RCD or individual RCBOs? You may find the load tripping the ring causes some sort of spike. I generally use surge suppressing extension leads (or similar) on all small technology items and so far it seems to work.

#8 ·
Where did you get with this?

I had something similar not caused by the PHEV but by a 3.5kw oil filled radiator.

The radiator was fine but my earth was poor which meant high loads made the neutral voltage float, as I recall it (or was it the other way around?). When that load switches on or off it can create nasty transients that affect other appliances, and may describe your situation.

It's worth noting that external charge sockets and charge stations normally need a "local" earth to meet the latest standards. If you're charging regularly from the granny lead I'd definitely get it checked out by a qualified sparky.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.