Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
The best there is at what I do
10,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not round here! some of the roads are appalling bad and the only way you can drive down them is by weaving like a drunken sailor, the state of the roads has steadily got worse since the councils were made responsible for road maintenance, I suspect the money they were given wasn't ring fenced and now they are struggling to catch up.

Councils filling potholes 'every 19 seconds' - BBC News

Some of the repairs that are being done are so bad they need to be done again within weeks of being "repaired", just chucking a bit of asphalt in the hole and letting the traffic tamp it down just isn't good enough.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Leaf 40kWh Tekna - love it
1,527 Posts
The only way I got one filled the next day was to report it too the police. Yes, it was dangerous for motorcycles and being long and deep it could shred car tyres.

And this one had repeatedly had tarmac chucked into it over the previous 2 years. It isn't a matter of money. It's hopeless management, poor workmanship and complete lack of quality assurance and financial accountability.

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,750 Posts
JCB have invented this pothole filling machine and yet the road outside their own factory is a right mess. You'd think they would test it there.

Most councils have some half arsed private contractor do the work like Amey. They pay through the nose and the work isn't done. Most holes are back within a couple of weeks as they rarely do anything other than throw in some tarmac and jump up and down on it instead of cutting round the hole and sealing the edges. Roads aren't resurfaced properly either. They have that awful sticky fine gravel which just comes off the first day and ruins paintwork.

Over priced half arsed bodge jobs is what most contractors seem to do and councils let them.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Yeah I was thinking there must surely be a machine that can cut out a chunk surrounding the area and fill it in more properly? I guess still way more expensive than Gary from the council chucking a bucket of asphalt in it and jumping on it

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Remember the folks who fill potholes are the folks who lay airport runways. The only difference is how much the client pays!

·
Registered
980 Posts
Sod the potholes. In Derby the council seem intent on having roadworks on every major road in and out of the city.
With the good weather today it was absolute bedlam as motorists went out to drive their cars.
Me, I just went for a walk, seemed far better to be outside, in the sun, than sat in a car in a continuous traffic jam.
Lord only knows where the money has come from, alledgedly the council are skint.
However, looking on the bright side we've got 3 years of major infrastructure change starting soon on the A38. That'll be fun.

Got to say I agree about how poor pothole maintenance is these days. Around here they fill them in and within a week the arctics have pulled all the tarmac out again. All they do is tamp a bit of tarmac in, no mastic for the edges whatsoever then it's straight back to square one. The contractors must be on a right screw.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I was almost killed by a pot hole, Doing the right thing on my bike and a huge gash in the road nearly done for me. I got to the side of the road and reported it straight away. procedure is to send an engineer to assess the damage and measure it - to see if it needs repairing - only took them 10 days WTF. Then shoddy repair lasted about a week !!! It would have been cheaper and easier and quicker and safer just to send a decent repair crew out as the first response - and have them repair any potholes they see on the way there and back.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I was almost killed by a pot hole, Doing the right thing on my bike and a huge gash in the road nearly done for me. I got to the side of the road and reported it straight away. procedure is to send an engineer to assess the damage and measure it - to see if it needs repairing - only took them 10 days WTF. Then shoddy repair lasted about a week !!! It would have been cheaper and easier and quicker and safer just to send a decent repair crew out as the first response - and have them repair any potholes they see on the way there and back.
Far too logical for the council....

·
Registered
234 Posts
What about highways agency? Are they responsible for potholes on motorways, surely that isn't council responsibility. In which case the huge array of potholes in 2 of the soundbound lanes on Wrotham Hill M20 have been untouched since December

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,750 Posts
Highways England are even worse. They're leaving lots of holes everywhere. They have responsiblitlity for some arterial A roads as well. They have the appalling Balfour Beatty in charge of one near me (caused a death on that road by incompetent road work signage). That's why their roads are in such a state.

·
Registered
iD.3 Family, Stonewashed Blue, Heatpump, Ankoya Alloys.
236 Posts
Wow, it appears that no council anywhere can repair a pothole correctly and speedily. We use the pothole reporting tool for our council and get regularly updates about inspection visits and status of repairing the pothole.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Leaf 40kWh Tekna - love it
1,527 Posts
Reporting it to the police is not only the quickest way to get a pothole fixed, it is the right thing to do if it has the potential to do serious harm.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,499 Posts
Got to say I agree about how poor pothole maintenance is these days. Around here they fill them in and within a week the arctics have pulled all the tarmac out again. All they do is tamp a bit of tarmac in, no mastic for the edges whatsoever then it's straight back to square one. The contractors must be on a right screw.
They have moved to machines like this:

The process |

Experience of these repairs near to me is that they don't last. Living on the borders of three counties and with a couple of trunk roads (hence Highways England) it appears that they are all bad at it, but it all got worse when the responsibility was outsourced to contractors who do the contractual minimum and not all of the preventative work such as gulley maintenance.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts