Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I’m a journalist looking to make a piece for local TV in Kent & East Sussex about the various ways people with no driveways are charging their EVs.

I’m also interested to hear from those who have contacted their local council to request street chargers, drop kerbs, a change of use from front garden to driveway or other solution.

If anyone would like more information or is keen to be involved, please let me know.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
If you look at the fully charged videos there is one council scheme not far away that have used street lampposts to provide power to vehicles

·
Registered
49 Posts
I don't live in your area and am moving from a house to a flat. I have asked the council about on-street charging and have not had anything other than being passed around departments, waited for people to get back to me and nobody does. I'm pretty much consigned to selling my electric Leaf because of this.

I think street charging is a good idea but my experience is councils just don't want to know. They talk the talk but make it almost impossible in reality. Good luck with your article and hope you get some positive stories.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I’m nowhere your area either (North of Scotland) but have been fighting with my council for the past 12 months to drop our kerb; they’ve refused because I’m too close to a junction, I’ve appealed given that it’s the junction to quiet access road on a quiet residential street and that it hasn’t caused any problems doing it for my neighbours...

·
Registered
274 Posts
I don’t live in your area either, but have no off street parking and two 30Kwh Leafs.

Don’t find it an issue to use public charging luckily having public 3/7kw chargers near work for both cars...but I guess I’m in the minority here.

One charge does a week of commuting and we have no problem using other public (mainly rapid) chargers when we go out at weekends.

It can work and is getting easier as the number of public chargers continues to rise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’m nowhere your area either (North of Scotland) but have been fighting with my council for the past 12 months to drop our kerb; they’ve refused because I’m too close to a junction, I’ve appealed given that it’s the junction to quiet access road on a quiet residential street and that it hasn’t caused any problems doing it for my neighbours.

Thanks for replying. I know there are many others who have had similar problems. It sounds like and incredibly frustrating situation.....If anyone in Kent or Sussex relates to this, please do get in touch to share your experience. Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don’t live in your area either, but have no off street parking and two 30Kwh Leafs.

Don’t find it an issue to use public charging luckily having public 3/7kw chargers near work for both cars...but I guess I’m in the minority here.

One charge does a week of commuting and we have no problem using other public (mainly rapid) chargers when we go out at weekends.

It can work and is getting easier as the number of public chargers continues to rise.

Sounds like you’ve found the perfect solution. Enjoy your Leaf.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't live in your area and am moving from a house to a flat. I have asked the council about on-street charging and have not had anything other than being passed around departments, waited for people to get back to me and nobody does. I'm pretty much consigned to selling my electric Leaf because of this.

I think street charging is a good idea but my experience is councils just don't want to know. They talk the talk but make it almost impossible in reality. Good luck with your article and hope you get some positive stories.
Shame you aren’t in my area. This kind of disconnect between councils and their departments is proving to be an obstacle for a lot of people with EVs. Even where there is a commitment from the Local authority, it seems change is slow to come. Thanks for replying though, and good luck.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I think you need to ask is this really a worthwhile objective. The idea of individual charge points at home is no more logical than saying we need individual petrol pumps. Individual points does not spread the cost of the chargers over many users.
Those that cannot charge outside their own house have choices.
1) communal area for charging just like communal garage areas
2) charging at work (from solar PV of course! )
3) charging at car parks ( with the use of Instavolt rapid chargers )
4) At railway stations to further encourage use of trains
etc

As cars and infrastructure develop there will be a convenient way for most people but it will not include outside your front door chargers to any significant extent. ( councils commit to social services or ev charging points? Ehm )

Ken

·
Registered
49 Posts
But not all stations, car parks, railway stations, employers or even communal flats have charge points, even now, 7 years after the first mainstream electric car was released.

So for people with houses WITH drives then EV's are fine, but a quick look at all the millions of drive-less houses/flats in the UK shows an alternative way is needed. A charge point on the street is a quick fix (cheap fix?). Perhaps a requirement that flats MUST allow the fitting of charge points? That would sort me. Or that employers are obligated to install them too. That too would sort me. Presentl the only public charge points near me are overly expensive, slow and as of this week, all totally out of order.

Until then I'm resigned to selling my Leaf. ps, anyone want to buy it?

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
The lampost stuff iirc is approx £400 to be fitted. Yes it's about £150 for a cable to fit it that then tracks usage so it can be charged but I'm sure over a good term that cost becomes minimal and always the chance of handing the cable back if it's not battered forma partial refund...

·
Loadshedding
299 Posts
My daughter runs an EV in Newcastle without her own drive but uses work place charging and occasionally an on street unit outside her corner shop. On her commute she has several Rapids as well. Newcastle is well ahead of the game though compared to most places around London.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
I do wonder if this perceived need for lamp-post chargers, across-pavement channels to put the own extension cable in etc will one day be seen as a brief passing phase in EV evolution. My own EV (pictured left) does 45 miles electrically. It also does 100s petrolly. To refuel the latter, I drive to some remote facility, I don't expect to have my own petrol pump on my drive. If this had instead filled me up with special "magic" electrons giving me 100s of miles range, why should I feel disadvantaged? But with long-range EVs coming, surely this is the future? Those lucky enough to have space to fit their own super-slow-but-v-cheap electron pump can do so, others will simply fill up at the fast-but-cheaper-than-petrol electron pumps. The only question is when the total cost of ownership for this way of charging&motoring gets to be less than petrol motoring. Obviously this point comes sooner for those with home electron pumps available (like me), but I expect it to happen at some stage for everyone.

Reactions: EVme

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The lampost stuff iirc is approx £400 to be fitted. Yes it's about £150 for a cable to fit it that then tracks usage so it can be charged but I'm sure over a good term that cost becomes minimal and always the chance of handing the cable back if it's not battered forma partial refund...

Are people actually opting to pay for it privately, so they have the convenience ? I’ve read a lot about it but don’t know if anyone who has done it. It’s really interesting to hear of everyone’s differing experiences around the country. If anyone is in Kent or Sussex that would be really helpful too.
Do keep it coming everyone. It’s great stuff.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Are people actually opting to pay for it privately, so they have the convenience ? I’ve read a lot about it but don’t know if anyone who has done it. It’s really interesting to hear of everyone’s differing experiences around the country. If anyone is in Kent or Sussex that would be really helpful too.
Do keep it coming everyone. It’s great stuff.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I do wonder if this perceived need for lamp-post chargers, across-pavement channels to put the own extension cable in etc will one day be seen as a brief passing phase in EV evolution. My own EV (pictured left) does 45 miles electrically. It also does 100s petrolly. To refuel the latter, I drive to some remote facility, I don't expect to have my own petrol pump on my drive. If this had instead filled me up with special "magic" electrons giving me 100s of miles range, why should I feel disadvantaged? But with long-range EVs coming, surely this is the future? Those lucky enough to have space to fit their own super-slow-but-v-cheap electron pump can do so, others will simply fill up at the fast-but-cheaper-than-petrol electron pumps. The only question is when the total cost of ownership for this way of charging&motoring gets to be less than petrol motoring. Obviously this point comes sooner for those with home electron pumps available (like me), but I expect it to happen at some stage for everyone.
Yes. I agree. What we are experiencing is in its embryonic state. Part of the debate is how our various local authorities are reacting to the surge in popularity and are they reacting quickly enough?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
But not all stations, car parks, railway stations, employers or even communal flats have charge points, even now, 7 years after the first mainstream electric car was released.

So for people with houses WITH drives then EV's are fine, but a quick look at all the millions of drive-less houses/flats in the UK shows an alternative way is needed. A charge point on the street is a quick fix (cheap fix?). Perhaps a requirement that flats MUST allow the fitting of charge points? That would sort me. Or that employers are obligated to install them too. That too would sort me. Presentl the only public charge points near me are overly expensive, slow and as of this week, all totally out of order.

Until then I'm resigned to selling my Leaf. ps, anyone want to buy it?
Such a shame you can’t make it work. Thanks for getting in touch.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts