Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't usually watch this but started today and got drawn in - a load of fascinating topics including quite a long section on electric vehicles with Tom Heap. If anyone is interested it will probably be on iPlayer.

As part of that section, they visited someone in Cornwall, which as you probably know used to be famous for its tin mines. Well, apparently the area is also rich in lithium and there could well be a return to mining there - this time for lithium which in time could make us self sufficient for battery manufacture in the future. Interesting stuff.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
28,558 Posts
Lithium from geothermal waters?

hmmm ... I'd not be the one to dismiss the idea but it sounds like a low level of commercial success likelihood compared with simply processing sea water.

·
Registered
16,846 Posts
Lithium from geothermal waters?

hmmm ... I'd not be the one to dismiss the idea but it sounds like a low level of commercial success likelihood compared with simply processing sea water.
But what we really need to spawn the next gold rush is a nickel-cobalt mine that we can send our kids to work in.

I mean it’s not like they’ll be going to school for a while...

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
1,922 Posts
But what we really need to spawn the next gold rush is a nickel-cobalt mine that we can send our kids to work in.

Next week?!?

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
1,922 Posts
The lithium extraction piece on Counryfile was very encouraging.

A new industry and indigenous raw materials! Couldn't be better!!

I hope it works.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Well if there is lithium there in commercial quantities, shall we have a sweep on who ends up owning the rights & mining it?

·
Zoe Devotee
9,125 Posts
Next week?!?
Depends where you live.... mine have been back for 2 weeks already, this is week 3. Up in Scotland it was pragmatically decided to reduce the summer hols by 1 week to get kids back to School, the presumption is if we all survive this we can have an extra week next year.

Reactions: Neilew and cah197

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
And in a couple of years time one of the in-development new battery chemistries will take off and most of the lithium mines will go out of business. :ROFLMAO:

Don't invest more than you can afford to lose :geek:

·
28,558 Posts
Well if there is lithium there in commercial quantities, shall we have a sweep on who ends up owning the rights & mining it?
Prince Charles, no? I think he owns Cornwall.

·
Registered
7,041 Posts
There was an interesting comment in the programme about when, back in the day, they discovered a large amount of lithium in their tin mines and joked " If only we had a commercial use for it"

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,175 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
1,922 Posts
News from Scotland this morning may scupper that. I seriously hope not. :(
Well the schools in the Aberdeen area were closed again when they had the local shut down. Presumably about to reopen once more!

A taste of things to come?

·
28,558 Posts
Is this Scotland thing to do with lithium mining? What's happened?

·
Registered
158 Posts

Both my kids have been working in the snuff mines and the jam butty pit in Knotty Ash since lockdown started. There's definitely a demand for the latter.
Thanks Doddy!

·
Registered
494 Posts
I don't usually watch this but started today and got drawn in - a load of fascinating topics including quite a long section on electric vehicles with Tom Heap. If anyone is interested it will probably be on iPlayer.

As part of that section, they visited someone in Cornwall, which as you probably know used to be famous for its tin mines. Well, apparently the area is also rich in lithium and there could well be a return to mining there - this time for lithium which in time could make us self sufficient for battery manufacture in the future. Interesting stuff.
That's no good. Elon musk wants Nickel my man, Nickel. He will give a big contract from Tesla.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts