Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. As a total noob, I'd like to ask the following:
I know my driving profile pretty well. Is there a site where I can see what that translates to, in terms of recommended range for buying an EV?
Is there a way of telling, by examining my installation, whether this would be an easier or harder home charger installation?
IMG_20200524_123329.jpg IMG_20200524_123339.jpg IMG_20200524_123348.jpg IMG_20200524_123400.jpg

This is in my garage about 8 feet from where I think the box should sit on the front wall of the house (detached with driveway)

I'm wanting to get a first ever EV and would get one tomorrow if the right one was available and could be purchased, but know I'll need to wait many months.

Many thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Hi & welcome
Maybe this site will help with car choice EV Database
I'm not a sparky but your electrics seem similar to mine and my install was quite straight forward, I'm sure some of the sparks on here will help you out too.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,421 Posts
100A is good.
Why is your shower fuse crossed out? If you are not using it, that will solve your only problem with that unit: no free space.

(Not professional, so just a quick look.)

Reactions: Stevedoz

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi & welcome
Maybe this site will help with car choice EV Database
I'm not a sparky but your electrics seem similar to mine and my install was quite straight forward, I'm sure some of the sparks on here will help you out too.
Thank you....

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
100A is good.
Why is your shower fuse crossed out? If you are not using it, that will solve your only problem with that unit: no free space.

(Not professional, so just a quick look.)
No longer using it. The house had an electric shower when we moved in, but replaced with mains shower. Electrician sorted all that out.
Thanks

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,421 Posts
So that's good, as you should be able to hook up the charger to that fuse/rccb. The rest will be running the cable to a suitable place outside for your charger.

·
Registered
31 Posts
So, as per earlier answers, your socket install should be straightforward - big enough main fuse, pop a new circuit fuse in place of the former shower one. Just need to run the cable and drill through to your exterior wall.

Enjoy choosing your new electric car! You may be surprised regarding availability, there might be stock from cancelled orders, when the dealers reopen. I know someone who leases cars, says he has had a good few cancellations from furloughed workers/companies that have had to furlough workers.

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,029 Posts
There is a choice of nine Model 3s available on the Tesla Inventory website ready for immediate delivery and they would have enough range for most people’s needs.

·
Premium Member
11,071 Posts
No longer using it. The house had an electric shower when we moved in, but replaced with mains shower. Electrician sorted all that out.
Thanks
That's good as avoids including that large load, but you have plenty of supply.

Current regs don't allow an EV charging point to be connected to a house RCD (Type AC) like you have, so in most cases the supply from the meter is split and a separate small CU fitted for the charging point. Most installers include this (or an alternative solution) in their price, but once you send those photos they can advise.

If you are interested in why the link below is technical but explains...

A lot of people on here had charging points installed before the new regs which probably explains why they think you can wire up to your existing CU. Even if you changed the RCD I wouldn't recommend it, safer and less risk of nuisance trips to have a new, dedicated metal CU for the car. The shower would have used for a few minutes but a charging point is used for hours - it is very different load.

Reactions: Stevedoz and Ian R

·
Premium Member
11,071 Posts
There is a choice of nine Model 3s available on the Tesla Inventory website ready for immediate delivery and they would have enough range for most people’s needs.
Sort of, Tesla say a Model 3 is "inventory" once built so most new ones (not ex-demo, customer returns, etc) probably aren't in UK. A friend ordered an inventory car a few weeks ago and is expecting it "June". I think his is on a ship currently on way to UK.

With regard to other makes, at present there are some deals going on PCH, probably due to cancelled orders due to job insecurity etc. I am confident some will be cheaper than owning but you have no option at end to buy and you need to be sure if will work for duration as no easy/cheap way out.

For example site below have Peugeot e-2008 GT available from £266 a month and Zoe are even cheaper.

Reactions: E7EV

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, as per earlier answers, your socket install should be straightforward - big enough main fuse, pop a new circuit fuse in place of the former shower one. Just need to run the cable and drill through to your exterior wall.

Enjoy choosing your new electric car! You may be surprised regarding availability, there might be stock from cancelled orders, when the dealers reopen. I know someone who leases cars, says he has had a good few cancellations from furloughed workers/companies that have had to furlough workers.

Thanks. I do feel sad for those in this situation, but that's a different topic. If the showrooms open I'll be sure to try lots of options.

I don't think I could afford one, or be able to persuade my good lady in that direction, but cheers.

That's good as avoids including that large load, but you have plenty of supply.

Current regs don't allow an EV charging point to be connected to a house RCD (Type AC) like you have, so in most cases the supply from the meter is split and a separate small CU fitted for the charging point. Most installers include this (or an alternative solution) in their price, but once you send those photos they can advise.

If you are interested in why the link below is technical but explains...

A lot of people on here had charging points installed before the new regs which probably explains why they think you can wire up to your existing CU. Even if you changed the RCD I wouldn't recommend it, safer and less risk of nuisance trips to have a new, dedicated metal CU for the car.
Very helpful thanks. Hopefully the new regs won't add horrifically to the costs...
Cheers

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
It all looks good. A few general issues for clarification.
  • The fuse holder is rated for a 100 amp fuse but it may have a smaller one in. Only your DNO will know. Email them with your Meter Point Number and ask. If not 100 amps ask for an upgrade mentioning its for an EV which means that they have to do it for you unless they can justify otherwise
  • You don't appear to have a main switch. If the DNO come out ask them how much for fitting one.
  • You haven't mentioned the surface of your drive where the car is parked. Earthing is a discussion point under the latest amendment to the regs and you need to consider it.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Sort of, Tesla say a Model 3 is "inventory" once built so most new ones (not ex-demo, customer returns, etc) probably aren't in UK. A friend ordered an inventory car a few weeks ago and is expecting it "June". I think his is on a ship currently on way to UK.
Not totally true, and you can see when the car was built, the week it wa# shipped and the earliest it’s available if you use an inventory site like mine,

..but the OP didn’t ask for a Tesla, other cars and features exist and may well be better suited ( a comment aimed at the person who first bought up Tesla)

op..installation should be find but I believe the regs now can require a specific type of RCB so the shower one probably isn’t reusable although the slot on the board maybe. Your earthing may also need to change or be added to. The grant should help cover the bulk of the cost

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It all looks good. A few general issues for clarification.
  • The fuse holder is rated for a 100 amp fuse but it may have a smaller one in. Only your DNO will know. Email them with your Meter Point Number and ask. If not 100 amps ask for an upgrade mentioning its for an EV which means that they have to do it for you unless they can justify otherwise
  • You don't appear to have a main switch. If the DNO come out ask them how much for fitting one.
  • You haven't mentioned the surface of your drive where the car is parked. Earthing is a discussion point under the latest amendment to the regs and you need to consider it.
Thanks. I'll take this all on board. My driveway is brickweave...

Not totally true, and you can see when the car was built, the week it wa# shipped and the earliest it’s available if you use an inventory site like mine,

..but the OP didn’t ask for a Tesla, other cars and features exist and may well be better suited ( a comment aimed at the person who first bought up Tesla)

op..installation should be find but I believe the regs now can require a specific type of RCB so the shower one probably isn’t reusable although the slot on the board maybe. Your earthing may also need to change or be added to. The grant should help cover the bulk of the cost
Thanks for the points to consider....

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Is there any reason why you can't park the car in the garage and have the charge point installed in there? That would be preferable to having to handle the cable / plug in the car in the rain :)

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
My driveway is brickweave...
So providing a true Earth point is likely to be simple. Go that route with a so called TT Earth rather than some magic box that is simpler for the Sparky but doesn't work in all circumstances.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Is there any reason why you can't park the car in the garage and have the charge point installed in there? That would be preferable to having to handle the cable / plug in the car in the rain :)
Not really feasible I'm afraid. With family and an elderly relative at home, the garage is just a major storage area. It will need to be on the outer wall... Cheers

So providing a true Earth point is likely to be simple. Go that route with a so called TT Earth rather than some magic box that is simpler for the Sparky but doesn't work in all circumstances.
Thanks for the info....

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,029 Posts
Not really feasible I'm afraid. With family and an elderly relative at home, the garage is just a major storage area. It will need to be on the outer wall... Cheers
Some have put the charger just inside the garage and then have the cable come under the doors to where the vehicle is parked just in front. Keeps the charger and most of the cable dry and away from prying eyes.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Some have put the charger just inside the garage and then have the cable come under the doors to where the vehicle is parked just in front. Keeps the charger and most of the cable dry and away from prying eyes.
Actually that's a good point. I'd just need to open the garage when wanting to charge but at least the box would have a level of security. Cheers for that...

1 - 20 of 61 Posts