Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
iD.3 Family, Moonstone Grey. (On order)
202 Posts
I'm interested what battery expertise Coventry Council and Coventry airport have between them...
I'm not sure that is the point. Coventry itself, especially the university has the expertise and the council have the land and desire to see it through.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I do think in some ways it’ll be good for industry but sad at the same time, is there no other airfield around that’s actually closed? Coventry is still a busy place with flight training etc. They don’t seem to mention what’ll happen to the businesses that operate there.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,904 Posts
I'm sure that they have ordered a few packets of AA batteries for the Chief Execs bike lights over the years..... :devilish:

Reactions: TomH

·
Registered
507 Posts
I'm interested what battery expertise Coventry Council and Coventry airport have between them...
And how much money will exchange between hands to get the planning through. Sorry, I just don’t trust them. 💷

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,645 Posts
Whilst I’m generally against the closure of any active airfield, and there’s some interesting stuff going on at Coventry last time I looked, I suppose that a Gigafactory would bring more economic benefit than a flight training school.

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf Accenta 30kWh, 3.3kW, 2017
34 Posts
There's also a very small battery manufacture facility in the Unipart factory at Coventry called Hyperbat.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF 24kWh; Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
324 Posts
Probably the same amount as their venture into football with the Ricoh Arena. CCFC now have no home ground and play from Birmingham City as their "home" ground.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I'm not sure that is the point. Coventry itself, especially the university has the expertise and the council have the land and desire to see it through.
They have the academia. It's a bit jump to turning that into an industrial scale process and a viable business.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
REE Automotive opening an engineering centre just up the road as well...
"
REE Automotive (REE), a leader in e-Mobility, which recently announced its merger with 10X Capital Venture Acquisition Corp. (NASDAQ: VCVC), today announces the establishment of a new state-of-the-art Engineering Center of Excellence. The new Engineering Center will expedite REE's strategic plans to meet anticipated global demand for its breakthrough REEcorner and Electric Vehicle (EV) platform technology."
"
REE Automotive Opens New Engineering Center of Excellence in the UK (prnewswire.co.uk)

·
Registered
507 Posts
Whilst I’m generally against the closure of any active airfield, and there’s some interesting stuff going on at Coventry last time I looked, I suppose that a Gigafactory would bring more economic benefit than a flight training school.
In some ways I tend to agree, I just don’t like the way these fat cats tend to shove aside others that might be effected by their decisions. I’ve flown up to Coventry quite a few times and generally wouldn’t be able to name any other airfields in that area with the same facilities.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,923 Posts
Jaguar Land Rover have a close relationship with Coventry University. There is even a Jaguar building.
Weren't JLR supposed to be building something off the M54 near Wolverhampton. It was all over the local news before Christmas. TBH I think it was to be an Engine Plant. Complete lack of forward thinking if it was.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,504 Posts
Nissan were supposed to be building a new battery factory near their Sunderland plant but not heard anything for weeks. I expect they want someone else to build in , give them the land for free and with no business rates.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Nissan were supposed to be building a new battery factory near their Sunderland plant but not heard anything for weeks. I expect they want someone else to build in , give them the land for free and with no business rates.
I think it's just gone quiet because there's nothing else to add at present, rather like the proposal for a factory further up the coast at Blyth.

As for sacrificing an airfield, both Nissan (RAF Usworth) and Toyota (Burnaston) did that. Money talks and perhaps the long term jobs in a sector that the U.K. really does need to be a player in justifies it.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts