Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2012 iOn has been the trusty family runabout for over 2 years. Last week the granny charger flap didn't release. Deftly collaring a volunteer to pull the release knob, while I gently inserted under the charge flap the wooden stick from the ice cream I'd just eaten solved the immediate problem and the car got her recharge. It seems that a black springy-thing (apologies for lack of technicals) has fallen off from somewhere in the charge port. Furthermore, the black springy-thing appears to have failed on one face. Please could anyone let me know if there's an easy fix for this? Has anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
82 Posts
The charge flap is locked by a wedge-shaped black plastic bolt on the left, which is withdrawn by pulling the release lever in the car. This mechanism must be working in your car.
The hinge for the charge flap is on the right, and it is quite stiff, so that even when the bolt has been released, the flap has to be pushed outwards to force it slightly open. This is done by two plastic pins, mounted on springy plastic arms above and below the wedge-shaped bolt.
I assume that one or both of these pushy-out-pins has snapped off?
Replacing the original part is probably not possible. Initially, try oiling the hinge on the right, so the flap opens as freely as possible. If this does not solve the problem, I would suggest that you glue something springy onto the top of the circular black plastic lid of the charge socket. This could be a simple block of spongy rubber, or an actual steel compression spring of the correct length and strength, e.g.:
When you close the charge flap, this sponge or spring will be under compression, ready to force the flap open.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The charge flap is locked by a wedge-shaped black plastic bolt on the left, which is withdrawn by pulling the release lever in the car. This mechanism must be working in your car.
The hinge for the charge flap is on the right, and it is quite stiff, so that even when the bolt has been released, the flap has to be pushed outwards to force it slightly open. This is done by two plastic pins, mounted on springy plastic arms above and below the wedge-shaped bolt.
I assume that one or both of these pushy-out-pins has snapped off?
Replacing the original part is probably not possible. Initially, try oiling the hinge on the right, so the flap opens as freely as possible. If this does not solve the problem, I would suggest that you glue something springy onto the top of the circular black plastic lid of the charge socket. This could be a simple block of spongy rubber, or an actual steel compression spring of the correct length and strength, e.g.:
When you close the charge flap, this sponge or spring will be under compression, ready to force the flap open.
Many thanks for your suggestions. Much appreciated. Will have a go! Kind regards.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Good luck, I hope you can solve the problem.
If the spongy rubber pad does not work and you need more pressure to force the flap open, I can send you a suitable light compression spring. It is 30mm in diameter, 70mm open length ( could be cut shorter ), and 9mm fully compressed. It could be fixed to the plastic charge port lid, or to the outer steel flap, using epoxy adhesive or a hot-melt glue gun.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good luck, I hope you can solve the problem.
If the spongy rubber pad does not work and you need more pressure to force the flap open, I can send you a suitable light compression spring. It is 30mm in diameter, 70mm open length ( could be cut shorter ), and 9mm fully compressed. It could be fixed to the plastic charge port lid, or to the outer steel flap, using epoxy adhesive or a hot-melt glue gun.
Hi again Eddie. Many thanks for your update. By coincidence, Hubby has constructed a sort of sponge cake with a spring in it! Premilinary tests indicate it's a good'un. He's going to do something with adhesive, but we're currently having rain / thunder storms, so he's indoors. Nothing to do with football / tennis / Tour de France ....... so he tells me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts