Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

181 - 200 of 248 Posts

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
26,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
Not it isn't. Poverty is not the same thing as having little money. Poverty means having too little money to eat properly or afford adequate housing. If the state helps provide those things then you can have them even if you don't have much money.

This has nothing to do with clinical trials or correlation, it has to do with you failing to understand the basic difference between a government that looks after people and one that lets them die prematurely.

As an example look at the current situation with ventilators. Dyson was awarded the contract because Dyson donates money to the Tory Party. There are other manufacturers who have experience making them that it could have gone to. There is an EU scheme to place bulk urgent orders that the UK was invited to but declined. That's not a correlation, that's a direct cause and effect.

No, it is NOT the rich that suffer from lack of money when it comes to food. Really, I still can't fathom how you arrived at that conclusion.

·
Registered
999 Posts

No, it is NOT the rich that suffer from lack of money when it comes to food. Really, I still can't fathom how you arrived at that conclusion.
WW2 taught us that we cannot feed ourselves. At least there are no U-boats this time, but we have Trump.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I have no idea what this means, it's completely nonsensical and seems to be the opposite of what I've been telling you.

I think it's one of those arguments raging in your head again Donald so I'll leave you to it.

·
26,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
I have no idea what this means, it's completely nonsensical and seems to be the opposite of what I've been telling you.

I think it's one of those arguments raging in your head again Donald so I'll leave you to it.
Nah, it is you not realising the corollary of a couple of points you've made.

You seem to think you can express two competing ideas and people have to believe both at the same time.

I recognise you 'seem' to accept a connection between nutrition and poverty, and 'seem' to accept a connection between nutrition and life expectancy, but you are refusing to accept a link between poverty and life expectancy in which nutrition is the mediating factor.

I worry about using complicated words there, but reconsider these things together;-

It's up to you to prove your claim that being poor reduced life expectancy.
Please consider the ramifications of these two posts together.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Poverty may well relate not to some absolute level of income, but to relative levels of income.
A black guy living in poverty in some counties in Africa may well have much better health outcomes than a black guy with higher income living in the Bronx in the US. The book The Spirit Level explains it well.

·
26,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #189
Oh, OK, so now it has already happened in Hungary.

The Parliament has given Orban unlimited power, to rule by his decree, without an end date.

... and some of you think I was just scaremongering?

·
Leaf lover
3,971 Posts

The Parliament has given Orban unlimited power, to rule by his decree, without an end date.

Just some of us?
I tend to agree on most of your posts but we are in this lock down now and if there is any sense to it, it must be viewed as a temporary short term measure to buy time for the NHS to be as ready as it can be for when that the lock down is removed.
We cannot have a "until further notice" lock down because it would be stupid. As stupid as seeing this as anything other than an emergency measure.
Our government needs to set a date when only those who are likely to be dangerously affected need to isolate themselves and the rest just get back to getting on with their lives.

·
26,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #191
We cannot have a "until further notice" lock down because it would be stupid.
Fair enough, but a lock-down without an end point is a different thing to unlimited rule by degree by one man, without an end point.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Hungary was pretty bad even before though. As bad as the UK is (there was a story about the police getting overzealous on the BBC this morning) I don't think we are anywhere near Hungary.

·
Registered
124 Posts

I agree with your OP, but Hungary has never been the poster child for European democracy, to put it mildly.

That being said, if the EU does not call Orban within a couple of days and tells him to either stand down or get the hell out of the EU, then that would set a dangerous precedent. SInce we know that won't happen, I must concede we are now on a very slippery slope. Thank god that Spain currently has a leftish government, 'cause if the PP had been in charge, they would have relished the opportunity of tightening the screws and flushing some more civil rights down the drain. Their even more far right partners in grime from Vox are already calling for the army to depose the government and take control of the country. Bloody lot of franquist bastards....

·
26,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #194
Today is a day we can celebrate the successes in our struggles against dark forces that seek to strip us of our freedoms, our opinions, our right to protest, our right to free movement, and the demands by oppressive authorities to be beholden to their interfering and malicious ambitions by use of force.

It is also a day to celebrate the 75th anniversary of the end of WW2 in Europe.

·
26,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #196

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
For those that think having a democracy is protection enough for democracy should remember that the nazis got voted into power.
It was while they were in power legitimately that they turned Germany into a dictatorship.
(yes by bully boy tactics, but fairly legitimate for the time.)

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
When the economy gets bad the far right always gets more popular. People look for someone else to blame. The next few years we must be vigilant against the rise of fascism.

Farage is already breaking lockdown to stir it up.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
When the economy gets bad the far right always gets more popular. People look for someone else to blame. The next few years we must be vigilant against the rise of fascism.
It's already here.
Farage is already breaking lockdown to stir it up.
For some reason the lockdown doesn't apply to journalists. However the Police make their own rules as in all good racist states.
Should there be no discussion of the number of desperate people risking their lives crossing the channel?

181 - 200 of 248 Posts