Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a 2 day jaunt in the Zoe at the weekend and was quite impressed. 5 charges, 4 of which were problem-free. The only failed one was also the only one that wasn't free! All chargers were operated by Charge Place Scotland.

1. Inveraray: CPS Free 22kW post, had to reconnect a couple of times, otherwise fine.
2. Oban: CPS Free 22kW post, worked first time
3. Balfron: CPS Free 50kW unit, worked first time.
4. Robroyston: New BP Chargemaster 50kW unit. £0.30 per kWh, £1.50 minimum charge. I found the instructions baffling at first, but got to the stage of plugging in. Failed on safety check 3 times so switched to 5:
5. Robroyston: Free 7kW post. Worked first time.

I phoned in the 50kW Chargemaster unit and was told it had a comms failure and needed someone sent out. Looks like they're not doing free vend, unfortunately.

Overall a better experience than I'd been expecting.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Had a 2 day jaunt in the Zoe at the weekend and was quite impressed. 5 charges, 4 of which were problem-free. The only failed one was also the only one that wasn't free! All chargers were operated by Charge Place Scotland.

1. Inveraray: CPS Free 22kW post, had to reconnect a couple of times, otherwise fine.
2. Oban: CPS Free 22kW post, worked first time
3. Balfron: CPS Free 50kW unit, worked first time.
4. Robroyston: New BP Chargemaster 50kW unit. £0.30 per kWh, £1.50 minimum charge. I found the instructions baffling at first, but got to the stage of plugging in. Failed on safety check 3 times so switched to 5:
5. Robroyston: Free 7kW post. Worked first time.

I phoned in the 50kW Chargemaster unit and was told it had a comms failure and needed someone sent out. Looks like they're not doing free vend, unfortunately.

Overall a better experience than I'd been expecting.
3 years of EV Driving, a lot of that in an iMiev clone so lots of charging away from home. Only had about 3 or 4 problems getting a charge from a CPS networked charger. Maybe I had to queue for about 10 minutes on a couple of occasions. Brilliant work Transport Scotland

·
Registered
248 Posts
CPS has to be faultless especially in remote areas. Even calling a flatbed to somewhere like Glencoe is a big undertaking given the distance involved. While I agree it is a good network, when you're providing a crucial service to rural areas, it has to be. Sites like Glencoe and Arrochar urgently need even a basic 7kW charger (preferably on an open, plug-and-charge basis) as backup for faults and dodgy comms - you wouldn't want to be stuck there on a January night.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CPS has to be faultless especially in remote areas. Even calling a flatbed to somewhere like Glencoe is a big undertaking given the distance involved. While I agree it is a good network, when you're providing a crucial service to rural areas, it has to be. Sites like Glencoe and Arrochar urgently need even a basic 7kW charger (preferably on an open, plug-and-charge basis) as backup for faults and dodgy comms - you wouldn't want to be stuck there on a January night.
Yes, that's very true. I was just touristing through and only one of the charges was truly vital. I've read that the Arrochar rapid is dodgy and agree that the remoteness means the sites need to be well maintained. Hopefully the funding will be kept at a high enough level.

·
Registered
MY2020 Kia e-Niro 4, received 2 October
32 Posts
So as someone new to this (just waiting on my EST loan for an e-Niro being approved -- the suspense!), how do folks approach trips into the remoter parts of Scotland?

At face value, CPS look to have pretty good rapid charger coverage throughout the country. But reliability issues or charger contention with other EVs (or bays being ICE'd) is a worry at the back of my mind, though I'm not really sure how concerned I should be.

How many backup options do people allow for in trip planning? Is the CPS live status reliable? Do you also rely on Zap-Map or PlugShare reports to avoid issues? Do CPS help you out if you really are stranded at a broken charger?

Cheers,
Chris

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My experience is mostly in central belt, and only 8 weeks, but have only had a couple of failed charges and haven't been ICEd once. On longer journeys I would plan to charge early and often, but then I'm a cautious soul. In the trip in my OP, I didn't need the Inveraray charge but did it anyway and had Lochgilphead as a back up. Balfron wasn't a planned stop (wrong turning lol) but zap map saved the day. Zap map live status is good, only problem I've seen is that posts with cars plugged in but not charging do not show as in use.

·
Registered
248 Posts
In an e-Niro with 62kWh battery you should be absolutely fine in rural Scotland. In a car with 1/3 the battery of yours (Leaf 24kWh) I have travelled from Glasgow to Oban, Mallaig, various parts of Argyll, Perthshire and Fife, and never been stranded.

The trick is to recharge while you still have enough range left to have a couple of backup options. With a 200+ mile-range e-Niro this would comfortably allow 160 miles to be driven with 50 miles left in reserve for emergencies. You'll get the knack of it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts