Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this thread is for Scottish EV drivers that have been inconvenienced by incorrect data on the CPS-Swarco website or their App.

Examples of Incorrect Information would be indications that a Rapid charger has CCS and Chademo connectors available, but on arrival, the charger is found to be out of order, or does not provide a charge, even if a valid RFID card is used. Or Rapid chargers entirely missing from the CPS website. Or data as to the last charge date missing from the CPS website.

Note that if you post on this thread, you may be contacted by a Scottish based journalist who is investigating the problems that Scottish based EV drivers are facing with the (poor)service and (mis)information provided by SWARCO.

If possible, could EV drivers based in the East of Scotland add accounts of their experience. This part of Scotland is poorly served by charging networks other than CPS and hence very reliant on a working CPS network and accurate data on the CPS website and App.

thanks

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
3,968 Posts
As you know, already given a brief account of my experiences and hope others also post theirs.
I'd suggest being brief and to the point.

There are now 28 EV drivers posting on this reply on the 19th from CPS claiming all systems are working as expected. No further tweets from them since which speaks volumes.

There is also this recent post from a new member with a PHEV having problems at Fort William:

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As you know, already given a brief account of my experiences and hope others also post theirs.
I'd suggest being brief and to the point.

There are now 28 EV drivers posting on this reply on the 19th from CPS claiming all systems are working as expected. No further tweets from them since which speaks volumes.

There is also this recent post from a new member with a PHEV having problems at Fort William:
Bump, any BEV drivers having problems today on the CPS-SWARCO network.

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
3,968 Posts
Wow CPS must have solved all the problems and everyone has been able to get a charge first time.... (I don't think so!)

·
Registered
39 Posts
My experiences since The Day The Network Stood Still…
Barely got home: chargers in Dundee not working - access denied/not authorised (I can’t remember the wording). Perth hub - one rapid buggered, the other two intermittent and with queues.
Tried the app: authorisation error.
Tried the website: authorisation error.
Tried “forgot password” - “this email not recognised”
Ok. Tried “register new account” - “this email is already in use”
Next two days - no authorisation on rfid card.
a week of all good (barring app and site)
Thursday 19. No comms in Gourock, strathaven, Larkhall. All gone to pot.
saturday 21. Larkhall back on, but rapid still on red.

it’s obviously very difficult for CPS: BP left a total mess, but comms are the BIG issue here. Some folk are great on Twitter: posts on issues and relevant updates. Some, however post all is good - when it’s not; our phone lines are ready for you - 2hrs wait for some folk. A couple of snitty replies about 800 calls and no staff - WHICH IS DIFFICULT! Of course it is, but firstly, apologise - don’t get shirty (this wasn’t with me; they’ve been very good with me). Secondly, the Scottish infrastructure should be able to cope with 800 calls: there are 3,000,000 cars in Scotland; it’s not going to get easier.
I’ve been told for a few weeks now the tech team will be “getting the migration email to [me]” Now I know there’s a backlog, but tell me! when I’ve asked by email I’ve had no reply. When I asked by phone I got (I kid you not) “migration email? That’s a new one to me”

I DO think CPS are getting there, but the fault doesn’t lie with them; Transport Scotland and Michael Matheson are at the root of the issue. No oversight or control over BP’s management of the infrastructure or their farcically incompetent handover. No proper consultation with end users (an endemic situation in Scotland thus far). Where are the comments or statements from Transcot on the complete shutdown of one of the country’s major infrastructure networks? On a basic note: where are the road signs for “Electric A9” (Scotland’s best kept secret)? Yes, you can charge - if you know where they’ve hidden the chargers. Where are the rapids? Like ICE cars, many (most?) drivers want to stop, fill up and move on. Not spend 4 hours wandering round Pitlochry.
That’s me done noo.

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
3,968 Posts
Barely got home: chargers in Dundee not working - access denied/not authorised (I can’t remember the wording). Perth hub - one rapid buggered, the other two intermittent and with queues.

it’s obviously very difficult for CPS: BP left a total mess, but comms are the BIG issue here. Some folk are great on Twitter: posts on issues and relevant updates. Some, however post all is good - when it’s not; our phone lines are ready for you - 2hrs wait for some folk. A couple of snitty replies about 800 calls and no staff - WHICH IS DIFFICULT! Of course it is, but firstly, apologise - don’t get shirty (this wasn’t with me; they’ve been very good with me). Secondly, the Scottish infrastructure should be able to cope with 800 calls: there are 3,000,000 cars in Scotland; it’s not going to get easier.
I’ve been told for a few weeks now the tech team will be “getting the migration email to [me]” Now I know there’s a backlog, but tell me! when I’ve asked by email I’ve had no reply. When I asked by phone I got (I kid you not) “migration email? That’s a new one to me”

I DO think CPS are getting there, but the fault doesn’t lie with them; Transport Scotland and Michael Matheson are at the root of the issue. No oversight or control over BP’s management of the infrastructure or their farcically incompetent handover. No proper consultation with end users (an endemic situation in Scotland thus far). Where are the comments or statements from Transcot on the complete shutdown of one of the country’s major infrastructure networks? On a basic note: where are the road signs for “Electric A9” (Scotland’s best kept secret)? Yes, you can charge - if you know where they’ve hidden the chargers. Where are the rapids? Like ICE cars, many (most?) drivers want to stop, fill up and move on. Not spend 4 hours wandering round Pitlochry.
That’s me done noo.
Thanks for responding to my invitation to contribute on here.
We've all had the same experience and hopefully things are improving but as we EV drivers are a tiny minority, the media in general aren't interested.
Indiviually we have no influence over TS, Swarco or CPS but collectively we can shout much louder.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

That’s me done noo.
Are you ok to be contacted and maybe quoted by a journalist based on Scotland?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Whilst I agree that any issues should be brought to the attention of CPS/Swarco, please be aware that many journalists will gleefully rubbish EVs and, potentially, blow any problems out of proportion. Bad news sells papers/online clicks. Can I suggest circumspection in going straight to the media?

This advice comes from years of seeing well-meaning acts being utterly contorted in the public domain.

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
3,968 Posts
I've listed below some my issues since lockdown was eased and over about 7 250mile each way trips to mid Argyll.
I can't remember having had an uneventful journey from a charging perspective.

1) Abington rapid not working but managed to get to Larkhall Park & Ride. Charger worked but screen was hard to read. On the return journey it took 3 attempts to get a charge at Eurocentral on the M8.
2) Headed for Renfrew but charger couldn't contact the server, same at Erskine. This was on the 27th May, the day the whole network lost coms. After 20mins on the phone, the helpline started the charger otherwise I was expecting a night in the car. No problems on the return.
3)Whitburn & Harthill chargers were both down so had to double back to the BP Ultra rapids at the M8 MSA.
4) Inveraray charger not working.
5) Harthill not working again - had worked for 2 weeks.
6) App not working at Stirling Park & Ride.

Of all the chargers I've use, Lochgilphead has been the most reliable, thank goodness with Inveraray's being unreliable.
Having gotten used to my Leaf's onsumption, range anxiety isn't a problem, but charger anxiety is....

I meant to add that it was my plan to revisit some of the many places in Argyll I've missed since returning to England in 2019 but i am loathe to risk being stranded by the unreliable network and misleading Live Map.

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
3,968 Posts
Whilst I agree that any issues should be brought to the attention of CPS/Swarco, please be aware that many journalists will gleefully rubbish EVs and, potentially, blow any problems out of proportion. Bad news sells papers/online clicks. Can I suggest circumspection in going straight to the media?

This advice comes from years of seeing well-meaning acts being utterly contorted in the public domain.
Plenty of bad news about the state of the CPS network so should be very appealing to any journalist.

·
Registered
Leaf 24kWh
2,105 Posts
I have not made any long trips since the chageover, so limited experience.

The app has some odd notions about the type 2 chargers I usually use at work. I didn't have a working CPS RFID card for the last several months since my original one quit working, so had been using the CYC app.

After changeover that stopped working, as expected. I contacted the helpline the next time I was in work and needing to charge and they were unable to start a charging session remotely, but suggested I could likely use any other functional RFID card I might have to initiate a session - which is what I have been doing since then.

My new CPS card arrived in the post at the weekend, having been requested through the website a couple of weeks ago.

The only rapid I have had cause to use recently has been the Electric Highway one at Abington Services, where the (EH) app didn't work, but I was gratified to find that it was on "free vend", so I didn't need to risk the CPS rapid a mile or two away in the village.

Fortunately I don't do a lot of long trips (in my Leaf 24) but I might need to use rapids to go visit a friend on Friday this week, so we shall see how things are - hoping the Kinross rapid(s) are functional with the new RFID card!

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

The app has some odd notions about the type 2 chargers I usually use at work. I didn't have a working CPS RFID card for the last several months since my original one quit working, so had been using the CYC app.

After changeover that stopped working, as expected. I contacted the helpline the next time I was in work and needing to charge and they were unable to start a charging session remotely, but suggested I could likely use any other functional RFID card I might have to initiate a session - which is what I have been doing since then.

My new CPS card arrived in the post at the weekend, having been requested through the website a couple of weeks ago.

The only rapid I have had cause to use recently has been the Electric Highway one at Abington Services, where the (EH) app didn't work, but I was gratified to find that it was on "free vend", so I didn't need to risk the CPS rapid a mile or two away in the village.

Fortunately I don't do a lot of long trips (in my Leaf 24) but I might need to use rapids to go visit a friend on Friday this week, so we shall see how things are - hoping the Kinross rapid(s) are functional with the new RFID card!
Kinross Rapids are all chronically broken if you look at the ZapMap Entries. Overalll, charging in Perth and Kinross is fraught, between physical broken chargers and comms problems with the SWARCO, office preventing even chargers on so called free vend initiating the charging. Certainly don't rely heavily these chargers, you have been warned.

·
Registered
1 Posts
50732 Aviemore: CCS connection has been tied up at the back of the unit awaiting repair for well over a month now, just appears to need damaged plug fixed. Type 2 AC charge rate has been very low since the transition. Zapmap comments over the last couple of days now saying the Type 2 plug is damaged, folk are still carefully using it, but sounds risky with live exposed terminals. Reported via email and Twitter on several occasions with zero response. CPS app is currently showing these connections as available.
Sky Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Tree Art
Hood Motor vehicle Grey Tree Automotive lighting

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
3,968 Posts

There are more chargers 5miles down the road at Crawford should have problems in that area in future and they seem to be working.

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
50732 Aviemore: CCS connection has been tied up at the back of the unit awaiting repair for well over a month now, just appears to need damaged plug fixed. Type 2 AC charge rate has been very low since the transition. Zapmap comments over the last couple of days now saying the Type 2 plug is damaged, folk are still carefully using it, but sounds risky with live exposed terminals. Reported via email and Twitter on several occasions with zero response. CPS app is currently showing these connections as available.
View attachment 148970 View attachment 148971
So much for 48 hours response time for faults... :ROFLMAO:

Also is it just me or are CCS connectors a lot more fragile than Chademo ones? The CCS connectors always seem to crack/break/wear away on the corners of the plug, probably through repeated falls to the ground.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So much for 48 hours response time for faults... :ROFLMAO:

Also is it just me or are CCS connectors a lot more fragile than Chademo ones? The CCS connectors always seem to crack/break/wear away on the corners of the plug, probably through repeated falls to the ground.
That's not really a CPS issue. ( It's more a Phoenix Contacts problem and a consequence of the idiotic CCS standard)

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
That's not really a CPS issue. ( It's more a Phoenix Contacts problem and a consequence of the idiotic CCS standard)
Didn't say the broken connectors were CPS's fault, (well, they are for not replacing them in a reasonable amount of time I suppose) just making an observation that CCS connectors seem quite prone to damage and aren't very sturdy.

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
3,968 Posts
Didn't say the broken connectors were CPS's fault, (well, they are for not replacing them in a reasonable amount of time I suppose) just making an observation that CCS connectors seem quite prone to damage and aren't very sturdy.
I think part of the problem is where the charger started off as a chademo only (+AC) so there are not three plug receptacles, meaning one ends up on the ground when it drops off the hanger.

You can often deduce which chargers they are because they can only support one DC charge at a time and if you look at the live map, it shows both ccs and chademo are in use. The Harthill rapid is like this - always show both in use when I am the only vehicle connected.
It's sensible in some ways because it stops someone heading for the charger only to find they can't use it anway until the current vehicle has finished charging.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think part of the problem is where the charger started off as a chademo only (+AC) so there are not three plug receptacles, meaning one ends up on the ground when it drops off the hanger.

You can often deduce which chargers they are because they can only support one DC charge at a time and if you look at the live map, it shows both ccs and chademo are in use. The Harthill rapid is like this - always show both in use when I am the only vehicle connected.
It's sensible in some ways because it stops someone heading for the charger only to find they can't use it anway until the current vehicle has finished charging.
The Raptor 50s, manufactured by Circontrol but usually labelled Evolt were delivered and conceived years after CCS came into widespread use. They still only support a single DC session at a time. They have reasonably secure parking receptacles for the DC connectors they are intended to only be released when correct authentication is shown. None of this stops the CCS connectors showing early failures, cracked insulation, distorted casing. That is all part of the wonderful CCS system.

·
Registered
39 Posts

Absolutely, Michael.

However I’d suggest that NOT bringing this to the attention of the media will result in - as they say hee-haw.

I’ve written to TS, and the reply is a bland statement about how very member of CPS was contacted about the migration. How the issues were only as day tor two and all is well. That I should take up any charger issues with local authorities (I questioned the dearth of rapids and signage in Scotland - especially along the “Electric A9”), and any other issues will be solved by looking at the CPS help pages, which I can’t access as - of course - I can’t
Are you ok to be contacted and maybe quoted by a journalist based on Scotland?
Absolutely. Especially after the lacklustre and misleading response from TS to my letter.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts