Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once in a blue moon I sometimes, perhaps, make what others may view as "mistakes" on the road. Apparently it happens. ;)

Since driving the LEAF I somehow seem to take such very (very, I mean in the extreme, honeslty) mistakes to heart because somehow I feel like I'm "representing EV drivers" on the road.

I remember going on school trips and because you're wearing the uniform you had to behave because "you represent the school", and somehow this voice yells at me from the back of my head if I perform any kind of less than perfect manoeuvre in the LEAF. I can almost hear the other driver(s) cursing stupid electric cars, all of them, because I stopped in the wrong place or somehow failed to indicate at a turn.

Is it just me who feels this extra pressure?!

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
I do feel the need to 'educate' some ICE drivers from time to time... these are usually Porsche drivers but I had a Ferrari convinced his extremely loud ICE could accelerate quickly in London recently... it can't :)

The only conscious thing I do is try to avoid driving slower than the majority of people on the road I'm using. IMO that really does reinforce stereotypes about EV range and not something I want to be a part of :(

·
Registered
394 Posts
In some ways yes, but my EV is a BMW so am I not supposed to drive like a *&$% ? ;)

I had a 110 mile trip yesterday and I was interested to see how far I could get on the battery so drove quite slowly on the motorway. I was wondering if it might annoy a few motorists but you do also see quite a few ICE cars nowadays being driven slowly too so I didn't feel like it was much of an issue.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
[QUOTE="Andy, post: 24758, member: 39"... but you do also see quite a few ICE cars nowadays being driven slowly too so I didn't feel like it was much of an issue.[/QUOTE]

When I slowed down for "eco april" I was genuinely surprised by all the slow cars, you just don't usually notice them as you whizz by!

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
The only conscious thing I do is try to avoid driving slower than the majority of people on the road I'm using. IMO that really does reinforce stereotypes about EV range and not something I want to be a part of :(
That's the biggest new problem that I'm aware of. Only in week 2 with the LEAF but have undertaken two beyond range trips 180 mile roundtrip, and 260 mile roundtrip. Both have made me very self-conscious driving at 65mph on the motorway with the lorries & the caravans. That more than anything else tells me that something isn't quite right with the LEAF. I don't just have to change my driving habits, but doing so makes me stick out like a sore-thumb on the motorway.

That, and the fact it feels like I need to prepare a voyage plan when heading out to sea of waypoints, safe harbours, ports of refuge, emergency plans. Range is an issue as it forces me to behave and drive in such a way as to single me out in a traffic flow. I love the LEAF, great car and I'm sure we'll enjoy our 18 months with it. Jury is out for what's next though - I'd like to not have to make such compromises. As @Andy mentioned though, I did pass a few ICE cars, though they were either tiny tiny cars being driven by people who didn't look comfortable on the Motorway or towing big loads. Doesn't match the warm-hatch looks of the LEAF.

Interesting to see how the Outlander PHEV affects my behaviour. The limited EV range would have given me up to 60 electric miles each-way on the 260 mile roundtrip - 120 electric, 140 petrol. Will I still be as enthusiastic to take the pure-BEV on such trips, I genuinely don't know. There is a certain satisfaction with burning no oil :cool:

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
I was doing some 'experiments' with the Rex through Milton Keynes last week... seeing if it really could maintain charge with plenty of full-acceleration and hard breaking.

Worked fine, but it did seem to upset a couple of ICE drivers who couldn't keep up without breaking the speed limit.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I was doing some 'experiments' with the Rex through Milton Keynes last week... seeing if it really could maintain charge with plenty of full-acceleration and hard breaking.

Worked fine, but it did seem to upset a couple of ICE drivers who couldn't keep up without breaking the speed limit.
Absolutely, within range trips around Bristol & surrounding area I drive the LEAF in hooligan mode and do my best to get VFM out of the tyres before we hand it back in 18 months :D

·
Registered
707 Posts
Will I still be as enthusiastic to take the pure-BEV on such trips, I genuinely don't know. There is a certain satisfaction with burning no oil :cool:
If you're like me, you will use charging infrastructure when it is available and relatively convenient, but otherwise you'll leverage the range extender whenever necessary.

I don't mind parking a quarter-mile away from my intended destination in order to charge while there. However, if it's dark or my wife is with me and wearing heels or if I'm in a rush I don't. Certainly I am unwilling to stop every 35 miles (or 60 miles if I were in a LEAF) to charge en-route.

I'm no fan of using petrol, but in the end I'm driving a car for transportation purposes (okay, well, outside of my R&D purposes for work). If the battery can get me to my destination where it can be re-charged, then I am happy to do that. If the battery can get me to a place en-route where I would want to stop for a while anyway to eat or rest, then I am happy to do that.

The LEAF range and the battery range of the Volt are just too short for convenient long-range driving. When I make a trip that is beyond the battery range of the Volt I don't flinch much, but I do feel some disappointment and wish that the battery were larger... but I get over that rather quickly.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
For most (for me, less than 50 miles) speed isn't a problem, I can drive as I wish given road conditions etc...

For longer journeys i need to take some care. I find that if not driving at 75 or so the next logical so down is around 62 indicated as that seems to flow well with speed limited traffic indeed is often very relaxing.

Below that I really do not like at all, indeed slower than this I regard as a fail... An obstacle...

I sometimes have to be conservative due to charger reliability. I love the pure EV but for longer trips I suspect something like the BMW Rex may allow more confidence /pushing it on battery. With a lease up in Apr 15 it's a consideration since great though it may be I can't see a tesla being in my budget.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts