Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at the gm-volt site this morning, i noticed that one guy has managed over 70 miles on a charge in his volt.
Granted it wasn't in a normal driving style, but none the less, very impressive.
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?7993-72.9-Miles-on-One-Charge

It would be hard to replicate his journey over here, due to the number of cars on the road, but I did think that this could be representative of a Friday night queue around the M25 ;)

·
Super Moderator
6,389 Posts
I read on the GM Volt forum that the record now stands at 83 miles………..mind you the poor woman that was driving spent most of the time in a queue of traffic at about 10 MPH

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I read on the GM Volt forum that the record now stands at 83 miles………..mind you the poor woman that was driving spent most of the time in a queue of traffic at about 10 MPH
Omg! 10mph for 83 miles, I think I might actually doze off !!

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Inevitably the slower you go, the longer the range...

But please no-one start doing this in the UK as we'll get lumped in with Volvo drivers for doing 35mph everywhere!! ;-)

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I agree.

I very much of the opinion that as EV drivers we shouldn't drive any in any special way. These are just cars and we should try to treat them as just cars if we can. On motorways for example IMO we should drive at acceptable (and legal!) speeds so 60-70 is appropriate... on other roads again... sensible but normal speeds.

The issue I have with us driving at ridiculously slow speeds just to increase our range is that it gives the impression to others that you somehow have to drive an EV slowly, which of course is not true and it sends out all the wrong messages.

Of course, if you are low on battery then you will/must slow down to stretch the range and that is just one of those things that is sometimes necessary... but a better way is that we plan our trips so that we don't have that problem and then we can drive appropriately all the time.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Well said guys. One of the biggest selling points of the Ampera is that you don't need to alter your driving in any way, if you don't want to. Naturally you'll benefit if you do learn to drive more economically, but the last thing we want is streams of traffic behind EVs - it's bad enough with Grandads-out-on-a-Sunday-drive doing 35mph at weekends without giving EV drivers a bad name too.

Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Haha :) I traded in my Jag XKR for an Ampera so I have the opposite problem ;)

·
Registered
167 Posts
[QUOTE=", but the last thing we want is streams of traffic behind EVs - it's bad enough with Grandads-out-on-a-Sunday-drive doing 35mph at weekends without giving EV drivers a bad name too.[/QUOTE]

Wath it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We're not all like that.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Thankfully not ;) but an annoying number are! Count yourself the exception :)

Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thankfully not ;) but an annoying number are! Count yourself the exception :)
I am generally happy if I keep up with the flow of traffic. I'm sure I will have a few moments when I steam down the outside lane with all the other sales reps, but mostly I prefer a relaxing drive, even if it takes 10 minutes longer. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts