Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a text from my wife.

Every week we go to the local supermarket/mall and park the Zoe there to charge on the Tesla destination chargers. Usually the Zoe is full after 2 hours due to it's 22 kW charger.

Today she came across a Tesla owner taking ages to park their Model S in one of the bays.

My wife parks the Zoe next to the Tesla and plugs in.

Immediately the woman starts screaming that the bays are for electric cars only. My wife explains to her that the Zoe is electric and it's also charging.

(Note that this time she'd actually parked in the bay marked for 'all EVs', not just Teslas)

The woman then starts saying that it's for Teslas only and says she'll call Tesla to have the Zoe removed.

My wife tells her 'good luck with that' and walks away.

So is this the future of charging with all the nutter newbies coming on board?

·
Registered
208 Posts

Every week we go to the local supermarket/mall and park the Zoe there to charge on the Tesla destination chargers. Usually the Zoe is full after 2 hours due to it's 22 kW charger.

Today she came across a Tesla owner taking ages to park their Model S in one of the bays.

Immediately the woman starts screaming that the bays are for electric cars only. My wife explains to her that the Zoe is electric and it's also charging.

(Note that this time she'd actually parked in the bay marked for 'all EVs', not just Teslas)

The woman then starts saying that it's for Teslas only and says she'll call Tesla to have the Zoe removed.

For a minute there I thought your wife had actually worked out how to charge a Zoe on a supercharger. :)

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,678 Posts

I have been saying this for 6 years now. Once the 'main stream' get a hold of EVs there will be no end to the disagreements at public chargers.

Whilst they are in the hands of slightly chubby middle aged/retired people with an interest in sandals and other niche things, all will be calm. Move away from that demographic and it will be a wild-west.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
This isn't anything new, on my old phone I have several videos of people getting angry at me for doing similar things (I always discreetly turn my phone to recording when a stranger approaches me).

My favourite was a Scandinavian man telling me I could not park next to the Ikea chargers (in the double bay) until he had moved - even though his Leaf was 100% charged and he had no intention of moving it yet.

He said he would call the police.

People just seem to get a bit over protective of EVs.

·
Registered
26 Posts

Not excusing the model S driver under any circumstances unacceptable behaviour

I am a new EV owner..... of a Model 3 whether I'm crazy/mad is debatable. However I'm also retired and chubby so not sure which camp I fall into. The Tesla guidance is that destination chargers are also available to other EV users as well To quote:

Tesla destination chargers will be indicated by either a white or red sign. Ones with a red sign can only be used by a Tesla whereas a charger marked by a white sign is open to all EV owners to use and is not dedicated to Tesla owners.

One of the First things I did was look at the advice around charging etiquette yes Tesla provide such a thing whether people read it is another matter. Interestingly enough if you use Tesla superchargers and don't return within 5 minutes of hitting your charge limit you get a fine of 35-70 pence a minute depending upon the occupancy level of the station.

Just some thoughts

·
Premium Member
2,734 Posts
If anybody had an EV when Ecotricity used to provide their EH free of charge, you will have a good idea of what to expect as more EVs hit the roads.

I was so pleased I had an i3 Rex at the time, getting anywhere near the chargers was a challenge, as you had to try and battle through rings of PHEVs and Nissan Leaf‘s that were practically welded to the chargers for hours at a time as they waited to hit 100%. The eye contact and twitching facial ticks were akin to a spaghetti western as people sized each other up as they planned to make a move for the single charger.

Things are better now, certainly at the places I travel to where I need public charging, but I think the best advice going forward if you want to avoid this unsavoury situation is to buy the longest range car you can...

Or try a bit of education at the chargers and hope you don’t get stabbed in the face or something.

·
23,678 Posts
If anybody had an EV when Ecotricity used to provide their EH free of charge, you will have a good idea of what to expect as more EVs hit the roads.

I was so pleased I had an i3 Rex at the time, getting anywhere near the chargers was a challenge, as you had to try and battle through rings of PHEVs and Nissan Leaf‘s that were practically welded to the chargers for hours at a time as they waited to hit 100%. The eye contact and twitching facial ticks were akin to a spaghetti western as people sized each other up as they planned to make a move for the single charger.

Things are better now, certainly at the places I travel to where I need public charging, but I think the best advice going forward if you want to avoid this unsavoury situation is to buy the longest range car you can...

Or try a bit of education at the chargers and hope you don’t get stabbed in the face or something.
It's funny you say that. I was the only person here that I recall applauding the introduction of connection charges on EH, everyone else said what a bunch of idiots they were.

Then they were bullied into dropping the connection charge and everyone here applauded, except for me who again pointed out that might mean you end up with a 3kW charging Kangoo on one.

Feel free to correct my memory if anyone else expressed the same opinion as I did back then.

·
Premium Member
2,734 Posts
It's funny you say that. I was the only person here that I recall applauding the introduction of connection charges on EH, everyone else said what a bunch of idiots they were.

Then they were bullied into dropping the connection charge and everyone here applauded, except for me who again pointed out that might mean you end up with a 3kW charging Kangoo on one.

Feel free to correct my memory if anyone else expressed the same opinion as I did back then.
I do recall that, yes.

Being honest, I was initially very sceptical about the making it chargeable idea and it felt like a slap in the face for people like me who loved the idea of ‘free electricity’, but I can also honestly say I never abused it.

Their charging for charging worked on me, as I switched my electricity to ET and enjoyed the relative peace and tranquility of carnage free pumps before I decided to go full hybrid for a few years and didn’t need them. I used to actually give away my free charging to other EV’ers, starting their charges remotely from my app in a sort of carbon offsetting scheme.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Any charging that doesn't have some inclusion of cost/time will block the resource to BEV users that 'need' to charge. These are the main blockages I can think of: 80%+ club, PHEV'[email protected], 0% charging(free parking space). Most of these have been acknowledged on here - are there any other scenarios?

Even those who say they are camping on a 80%+ SOC, but would give up if someone else came along.. well someone else may drive by and see the unit occupied and has no idea of current SOC, and may not be inclined or wish to talk to the other driver. I was once parked near a EH charger with a Leaf on. An i3 came along, and the driver did chat to the Leaf owner, but drove away. Within 5 minutes the Leaf had moved on. 🤷‍♂️

I'm not sure I like connection charges as it encourage some to camp to 'get your money's worth'. Or what if it drops out forcing a reconnection?

·
23,678 Posts
Any charging that doesn't have some inclusion of cost/time will block the resource to BEV users that 'need' to charge. These are the main blockages I can think of: 80%+ club, PHEV'[email protected], 0% charging(free parking space). Most of these have been acknowledged on here - are there any other scenarios?

Even those who say they are camping on a 80%+ SOC, but would give up if someone else came along.. well someone else may drive by and see the unit occupied and has no idea of current SOC, and may not be inclined or wish to talk to the other driver. I was once parked near a EH charger with a Leaf on. An i3 came along, and the driver did chat to the Leaf owner, but drove away. Within 5 minutes the Leaf had moved on. 🤷‍♂️

I'm not sure I like connection charges as it encourage some to camp to 'get your money's worth'. Or what if it drops out forcing a reconnection?
I can think of a whole bunch of ways to help the flow of EVs, but it's going to end up down to individual companies, and based on EHs response of simply buckling at the instant of pressure on their scheme, I think it's not going to happen.

One simple scheme would be have charge-duration based connection charges; select '20 min' charge and there's no connection charge. Select '40 mins' and a connection charge applies.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Yes, this is what is going to happen when the great unwashed get their hands on a BEV.

Orderly queues at chargers, hmmm.
I think most would admit to enjoying a free lunch. You may not have to wait until the masses get hold of a BEV. Once the next big slew of Outlanders and other PHEV's come into the sub £10k secondhand market, just see those free vend points(including Rapids) being camped on. The difficult point for the PHEV drivers, is should the effective pence/kWh be such that it discourages those who don't need to charge. If it is cheaper than their home electricity, then the resource will be blocked by PHEV's to the detriment of the BEV users. Many on here have already acknowledged the attitude 'I was here first'.

·
Registered
243 Posts
One simple scheme would be have charge-duration based connection charges; select '20 min' charge and there's no connection charge. Select '40 mins' and a connection charge applies.
I agree. Very similar analogy to using a dryer in a Launderette when every 20p in adds 5 mins of credit. Anyone can walk in and see minutes remaining and know roughly how long to wait, and they don't have to talk to Mrs Muggins to ask how long she is using the dryer for. At least in that scenario there is zero benefit to overstaying, as the clothes would end up like Crimplene 😀

Agile pricing could be implemented, rather than the rigid £5/2 hours example I've seen before. There could be a zero credit remaining penalty; just like parking in a Pay&Display carpark. You know if the time runs out you're open to receiving a penalty charge..

·
Registered
59 Posts
That's why I'm going for a Model 3 LR over an SR+. I'll probably only need the extra range a handful of times over the lease period, but I know once April comes, selfish company car users will ruin an already inadequate infrastructure.

·
Premium Member
2,734 Posts
I arrived at a pair of Instavolt chargers today.

I hadn’t reckoned on the town having it’s Christmas market, so the car park they were in was rammed.

Sure enough, both chargers were occupied by EVs though both unattended.

The Leaf was connected and charging, albeit at 85% and drawing 10 kWh, but fair enough.

The other bay was occupied by an e-Golf that although plugged in wasn’t charging at all and the charger was asking for a card to start.

I think they’d used it as a handy car parking space.

The people with the Leaf arrived back after 30 mins, and I was able to get on. The Golf left as I was half way through my charge, but an i3 and an Outlander had both pulled up during the 20 mins it was there alongside me.

Some people are just selfish, end of.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts