Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
........The other bay was occupied by an e-Golf that although plugged in wasn’t charging at all and the charger was asking for a card to start.

I think they’d used it as a handy car parking space.......
I suppose I shouldn't complain at having to pay the parking charge at the shopping centre in Gainsborough then, even if I just want a charge and am not shopping.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,678 Posts
I arrived at a pair of Instavolt chargers today.

I hadn’t reckoned on the town having it’s Christmas market, so the car park they were in was rammed.
Could you have made it home without charging?

·
Registered
243 Posts
I arrived at a pair of Instavolt chargers today.
The Leaf was connected and charging, albeit at 85% and drawing 10 kWh, but fair enough.
The people with the Leaf arrived back after 30 mins, and I was able to get on. The Golf left as I was half way through my charge, but an i3 and an Outlander had both pulled up during the 20 mins it was there alongside me.
From an income point of view, that doesn't appear very good financial return to the operator. Drawing over 10kW could be arguable, but it stopped you accessing it for 30 minutes (My calculations approx.. they received £1.75 from the Leaf vs £7 if you had been drawing at 40kW?). Not sure what the Outlander can draw on a Rapid? 0kW is worst case for them as it is blocking their expensive resource. Maybe the Golf thought they had started the charge?

·
Premium Member
2,734 Posts
From an income point of view, that doesn't appear very good financial return to the operator. Drawing over 10kW could be arguable, but it stopped you accessing it for 30 minutes (My calculations approx.. they received £1.75 from the Leaf vs £7 if you had been drawing at 40kW?). Not sure what the Outlander can draw on a Rapid? 0kW is worst case for them as it is blocking their expensive resource. Maybe the Golf thought they had started the charge?
Yeah, if we give him the benefit of the doubt, perhaps that’s what happened re the Golf.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I have been saying this for 6 years now. Once the 'main stream' get a hold of EVs there will be no end to the disagreements at public chargers.

Whilst they are in the hands of slightly chubby middle aged/retired people with an interest in sandals and other niche things, all will be calm. Move away from that demographic and it will be a wild-west.
Thats not right, I am neither chubby nor middle aged but still like sandals and other niche things. And EVs, of course.

I think an ideal setup would be a pair of rapids and next to them 4x 7kw posts. The rapids could be set to stop at a set charge level, say 85% and not restart. The rapid knows the charge level so it can be made to refuse to charge if the car is at/above 85%. If people need 100% they can move to a 7kw post.

It also needs a light/sign on the side (bit like on top of a taxi) that says "Charging" or "Free" and once the 85% is reached it says "Free". Then you have encouragement for people to move on and somewhere for them to go if they need 100%.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I agree. Very similar analogy to using a dryer in a Launderette when every 20p in adds 5 mins of credit. Anyone can walk in and see minutes remaining and know roughly how long to wait, and they don't have to talk to Mrs Muggins to ask how long she is using the dryer for. At least in that scenario there is zero benefit to overstaying, as the clothes would end up like Crimplene 😀
Wouldn't it be a fun experiment if it was possible to take 7kW from the car once 100% SoC is reached? Move along! :)

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,678 Posts
Thats not right, I am neither chubby nor middle aged but still like sandals and other niche things. And EVs, of course.

I think an ideal setup would be a pair of rapids and next to them 4x 7kw posts. The rapids could be set to stop at a set charge level, say 85% and not restart. The rapid knows the charge level so it can be made to refuse to charge if the car is at/above 85%. If people need 100% they can move to a 7kw post.

It also needs a light/sign on the side (bit like on top of a taxi) that says "Charging" or "Free" and once the 85% is reached it says "Free". Then you have encouragement for people to move on and somewhere for them to go if they need 100%.

Cheers.
I didn't suggest others were excluded from the 'being calm' group! ;)

Better still I think is >12 rapids in one hub on main routes.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'd go with Donald's clusters of >12 rapids on main routes and then the standard occasional single or pair of rapids away from the bulk of users. We need to consider that with 50 kW rapids still being installed, cars like the iPace with a 90 kWh battery can be legitimately charging on a rapid for a long time. 1 pair of rapids on a major route isn't enough. I know EV early adopters have got used to waiting for a charge, but it's simply not going to be acceptable to most people. People I meet at chargers frequently shake their heads when I answer questions about charging time, I can't imagine the reaction if they were told that another hour might be added to the charging time just waiting to plug in!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Harsh 😰

We don't just like sandals you know...
Wouldn't catch me in sandals. I wear boots with steel toecaps and steel plates in the soles, all the time I'm not sleeping or wearing slippers anyway! After a lot of 'accidents' when "I were a lad" I take no chances now!

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have been saying this for 6 years now. Once the 'main stream' get a hold of EVs there will be no end to the disagreements at public chargers.

Whilst they are in the hands of slightly chubby middle aged/retired people with an interest in sandals and other niche things, all will be calm. Move away from that demographic and it will be a wild-west.
Donald not one that normally agree with some of your more inflammatory posts but I have to say you are spot on with one

21 - 32 of 32 Posts