Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 R135 GT-Line with CCS in Aconite.
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read on another owners club site about a problem with the tailgate creaking on cars built between March-May 2020!
The is problem driving at any speed, there is an intermittent "creaking" sound from around the
tailgate. Creaking is Renault's description. It sounds like a loose cable clicking against the plastic interior. Road surfaces can effect it. It's less noticeable if the car body has warmed up in sunlight. At first, you might think is down to poor boot storage or a loose safety belt. So do check, but it may be more serious.
The cause apparently is rough welding spots on the body shell which catch on the plastic boot liner.
The remedial work consists of removing the weld surplus, respraying and testing.
Such is the seriousness of the issue, that Renault UK have issued dealerships with the following information:
  • a text guide to the issue
  • photos of the affected tailgate.
  • a sound file to illustrate the "creaking" sound
  • remedial instructions to remedy the problem
Has anyone been effected by this problem?
Thanks to tjarrowsmith07 for the original post.

·
Registered
ZOE GT Line R135 Z.E. 50 Rapid Charge, Mar '20
118 Posts
I've noticed a sound that is very much like the one described, will have to empty the boot to rule out the stuff stored in there.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Really? Mines been free of rattles from day one.
Both my Zoe's have been/one still is rattle and creak free, so I guess, as with many other manufacturers, each car has its own peculiarities.

If there is some creaking occurring in ZE50, it has to do with the rock music rhythm... combined with the music volume...

·
Registered
ZOE GT Line R135 Z.E. 50 Rapid Charge, Mar '20
118 Posts
Have you found all the spare fixings under the carpet? :)
Yep :-D moved them out too and there is a definite occasional "clonk" as you drive along. No obvious pattern or cause.
When dealer re-opens will have to get them to take a look.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 R135 GT-Line with CCS in Aconite.
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep :-D moved them out too and there is a definite occasional "clonk" as you drive along. No obvious pattern or cause.
When dealer re-opens will have to get them to take a look.
When was your car built?

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I have this sound on my new Zoe
What should I do?
Contact your dealer, and mention it has been discussed on here and Renault are apparently aware of the issue.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,862 Posts
Looks like the old MK1 issue has resurfaced, dodgy roof weld for the hinges? Wasn't an issue on all cars, but did affect quite a few. I was one of the lucky ones without the issue. I believe the fix was, roof lining removal, grind the welds down a bit, paint, refit roof lining.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Looks like the old MK1 issue has resurfaced, dodgy roof weld for the hinges? Wasn't an issue on all cars, but did affect quite a few. I was one of the lucky ones without the issue. I believe the fix was, roof lining removal, grind the welds down a bit, paint, refit roof lining.
Yep, about time they sacked that robot :)

Reactions: WonkoTheSaneUK

·
Zoe Devotee
8,862 Posts
Yep, about time they sacked that robot :)
Its weird that it wasn't an issue from 2012 to 2014 then it became an issue for some cars between 2014-15 before the "fix" was identified then its been fine right up until now. Its almost like Renault don't learn from their mistakes.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts