Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I've just taken delivery of a Passat GTE Advance and so far very pleased with it.

Anyone know how to make an rSAP Bluetooth connection though, in order to get the full data experience on Discover Pro... e.g. Google Earth maps etc? I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 which made this rSAP connection no problem with my previous car - Audi A6. The only connection I seem to be able to make on the Passat is basic hands-free (hfs) and media?
Thanks
Pete

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts
Are you sure the Passat GTE supports RSAP? A more common way for cars to connect to the internet now is to use Bluetooth tethering. That is how we connected the B Class and it worked OK including streaming Internet radio.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I don't have Discovery Pro, so can't say 100% for sure.

However from what I have read, to my knowledge this needs the Advanced Telephone Connection optional extra to work. If you did not specify it I don't think rSAP is possible.

This forum although dated and relating to MIB1 suggests it is not standard on VW unlike Audi.

GolfGTIforum.co.uk - An independent forum for Volkswagen Golf GTI enthusiasts.

As a workaround you could set up your phone as a Wifi hotspot and try connecting the Discovery Pro to that.

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts
As a workaround you could set up your phone as a Wifi hotspot and try connecting the Discovery Pro to that.
Bluetooth sharing uses a lot less phone battery - that is why a lot of cars are now supporting it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you sure the Passat GTE supports RSAP? A more common way for cars to connect to the internet now is to use Bluetooth tethering. That is how we connected the B Class and it worked OK including streaming Internet radio.
Hi there it states that is does support rSAP in the manual... and doesn't mention that you need the advanced telephone connection option... I just never used to have to think about it in the Audi... it just connected and I had access to the extra services like Google Earth imagery - gimmick I know but great!! :) I will try the tethering option and wifi sharing... thanks all!

·
Regular contributor
301 Posts
@Pete Mitchelmore, yes as @doccb1979 says this actually works pefectly, and you can share again with others in the car. The only thing you need to be careful of is that the system doesn't try to do a map update and eat all of your data plan! I lost 500Mb one day as I forgot I'd left my hot spot on! :mad: (I think I'd started a map update on my home WiFi, but it never finished). o_O

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bluetooth sharing uses a lot less phone battery - that is why a lot of cars are now supporting it.
Hi there... ok please can you give me a hint as to how I set up Bluetooth sharing / tethering? I can set the feature up on the phone no problem but there is nothing that I can find in the menus anywhere that mean the phone will connect via Bluetooth tehthering?

Cheers Pete

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts
Hi there... ok please can you give me a hint as to how I set up Bluetooth sharing / tethering? I can set the feature up on the phone no problem but there is nothing that I can find in the menus anywhere that mean the phone will connect via Bluetooth tehthering?

Cheers Pete
I had a look online and can't find any details on using Bluetooth tethering with Discover Nav Pro, so I may be wrong that they support it! Our Mercedes and (USA) Ford did and a friend's Volvo, but that doesn't exactly help you - Sorry :(

Discover Nav Pro : Navigation And Entertainment Systems : Volkswagen UK

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts
Just found more info at link below. WiFi tethering should work, but no Bluetooth tethering. It does also say mobile phone with a remote SIM Access Profile (rSAP) or a SIM card with call and data options can be used with the "Premium mobile phone interface" option.

Experience the Passat GTE with Car-Net.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Just found more info at link below. WiFi tethering should work, but no Bluetooth tethering. It does also say mobile phone with a remote SIM Access Profile (rSAP) or a SIM card with call and data options can be used with the "Premium mobile phone interface" option.

That would suggest my conclusions were correct.

I don't have Discovery Pro, so can't say 100% for sure.

However from what I have read, to my knowledge this needs the Advanced Telephone Connection optional extra to work. If you did not specify it I don't think rSAP is possible.

This forum although dated and relating to MIB1 suggests it is not standard on VW unlike Audi.

GolfGTIforum.co.uk - An independent forum for Volkswagen Golf GTI enthusiasts.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Thanks for that information... that's a real shame though... the options list on the web site didn't state that as a feature of the premium mobile phone option otherwise I would have probably specced it. I am sure he wifi hotspot thing will work it's just not as seamless as the phone connecting automatically with rSAP which also gives SMS reading capability too... oh well!

·
Regular contributor
301 Posts
just not as seamless as the phone connecting automatically with rSAP which also gives SMS reading capability too.
I agree the VW info was not good. I remember the same dilemma when ordering mine. The only thing about rSAP which really bugs me is that all text messages are kept by the car and you can't see them in your normal message list. This annoys me not having a consistent SMS list.:(
If however you need a stronger phone signal and don't care about these SMS anomalies, then £100 is probably a reasonable price.:rolleyes:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts