Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found a set of cross bars that fit the factory installed roof rails on the 2019 Kona EV? I would really appreciate any links to specific products that you have purchased and successfully installed. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
I have the Thule stuff. I can't find any paperwork giving the actual part numbers, but their website tells you when you input the car.
IIRC you get a foot with the appropriate adaptor for the car and then pick your choice of crossbar according to needs and budget.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks mikegs - I only see the Kona non-EV version on their site. From the Hyundai website, they indicate that their Kona-specific cross bars don't fit the EV version, so I was nervous that these Thule ones wouldn't fit the EV either. Were yours EV specific, or just the regular Kona 5-dr ICE?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the Thule stuff. I can't find any paperwork giving the actual part numbers, but their website tells you when you input the car.
IIRC you get a foot with the appropriate adaptor for the car and then pick your choice of crossbar according to needs and budget.
Thanks mikegs - I only see the Kona non-EV version on their site. From the Hyundai website, they indicate that their Kona-specific cross bars don't fit the EV version, so I was nervous that these Thule ones wouldn't fit the EV either. Were yours EV specific, or just the regular Kona 5-dr ICE?

·
Registered
279 Posts
I got mine from roofbox.co.uk
Just select Kona 2017 onwards and you will get compatible kits. Just select the one you like and it will configure all needed part for you. I went for Yakima whispbars - details below:

YKS24B - Yakima flush bars: Yakima flush bars (1 x S4B, 1 x S5B), black, no. S24B
- Car chosen: Hyundai Kona (2017 onwards) with flush roof rails - bars are positioned 90cm apart (too far apart to fit most roof boxes)
1 x GBP 170.00 = GBP 170.00
YKK892 - Yakima fitting kit: Yakima Smartfoot fitting kit no. YKK892
- Car chosen: Hyundai Kona (2017 onwards) with flush roof rails - bars are positioned 90cm apart (too far apart to fit most roof boxes)
1 x GBP 24.95 = GBP 24.95
FS200-OFFER - Free FASTY Handy strap: Free FASTY 200cm Handy strap 340kg

·
Registered
279 Posts
Just one thing to consider: Kona hat 3 mounting points for roofbars. They are roughly 45cm apart. This makes middle point useless as you will not find any roofbox that can accommodate bars so close.
So I had to fix it to front + rear anchor points. But that makes them about 95cm apart. Very few boxes can take such a long gap.
Additionally rear spoiler prevents using any longer boxes.

Would be great if people who found other solution could share exact parts and pictures.

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
You're right, the Thule site only shows the one model. As it's a shared body I don't know why the roof/rails would be different.

They recommend the Rapid System 753 with the Kit 184089. I just found the instructions for mine and I do indeed have the 753 + 4089, so it looks like that is correct. It fits well on mine anyway.

Looks like you are in Canada, so I suppose there could be a difference, but I'd be surprised.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Just one thing to consider: Kona hat 3 mounting points for roofbars. They are roughly 45cm apart. This makes middle point useless as you will not find any roofbox that can accommodate bars so close.
Surely the point of roof rails is to provide mounting clamp points all along the rail for the crossbars. The exact location of the three studs that secure each rail to the roof should not matter.

·
Registered
279 Posts
@KiwiME , those points are to secure crossbars to rails. A bit like ISO-fix for car seats:

The other option is to clamp bars around the rails as you mentioned. But when I was buying those wingbars I had to select car model. This was the only "foot" type that came up for Kona.
But I'm sure other brands typically clamp around instead.

·
Registered
409 Posts
... those points are to secure crossbars to rails. A bit like ISO-fix for car seats ... This was the only "foot" type that came up for Kona.
But I'm sure other brands typically clamp around instead.
That's interesting and thanks for posting those photos. I had pulled off one of those plastic caps long ago and due the difficulty of doing that and that it clearly was just a cover for the rail attachment points, it dawned on me that the rail having a "T"-section was how Hyundai had intended cross bars should be attached.
I read the Wispbar instructions and it furthermore uses the tail end of the hold-down stud rather than clamping inside the hole in the rail, if I've understood that correctly. I'm sure in the bigger picture it's strong enough to do the job and won't damage anything, but I also have to wonder what they were thinking?

Attachments

·
Registered
279 Posts
@KiwiME , yes, that's exactly how I mounted my bars too.
When I was buying bars that was the only option available for Kona (and one of the Japanese makes). I didn't realize these were in fact roof-to-rail fix points.
Anyway, I will see if there is any way to get other foot for whispbars to attach to Kona.
Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts