Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tolerated the appalling Dunlop OEM tyres for 3.5 years and 23k miles but a change in circumstances mean we need to use the car more in bad weather and on country lanes so I'm looking to fit all weather tyres.

The Dunlops have about 5mm on three tyres but noticeably less on the front nearside so I'm going to get the tracking checked before getting them done! (Rear tyres seem fine so it's probably just pothole/speed bump related)

I've narrowed it down to the Michelin CrossClimate+ or Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons Gen 2 but haven't decided between them yet. I'm not bothered about tread wear but I am concerned about noise and rolling resistance. I know they won't be as good as full winter tyres but we don't get very severe winter weather often in these parts and I'm willing to compromise for a single year round set.

I've seen a few people recommend the Michelins but I don't recall seeing anyone mention the Goodyears on here. Does anyone have any experience of these?

Lastly, has anyone experienced a significant range reduction from either of these? I don't push the range so a couple of miles here and there isn't a concern but if it was getting up into the tens of miles I'd be more hesitant.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Worth having a look at this review info as applies to all vehicles, whether EV or not.

In our family we have one car on winter tyres, but mainly all season, crossclimate+ and vector4seasons (ICE not EV) and if I owned my own EV, would put all season on an EV purely from a safety aspect as summer or EV tyres just don’t perform below 7 deg C.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Worth having a look at this review info as applies to all vehicles, whether EV or not.

In our family we have one car on winter tyres, but mainly all season, crossclimate+ and vector4seasons (ICE not EV) and if I owned my own EV, would put all season on an EV purely from a safety aspect as summer or EV tyres just don’t perform below 7 deg C.
I've read a few group tests like that which led me to my final shortlist but I'm hoping for some Leaf- specific intel to help me to my final choice :)

Prior to getting the Leaf I always used to have a separate set of winter tyres but I haven't needed the car for commuting the last few years so the car has just stayed at home in very wintry weather. Now it's going to have to have more winter miles put on it so I'm going to do what I should've done from the start and put some tyres on with more grip than a Teflon frying pan!

·
Premium Member
2,730 Posts
I’m running a set of Michelin CC+ for the third ‘winter’ now, the previous two were on my Golf GTE.

I’m noticing the e-Golf definitely spins the wheels more easily pulling away in wet/slippy junctions, this could be the torque of the e-Golf or the fact the tyres are ageing.

Efficiency wise, people are reporting a few % reduction in range, which fits with my own findings.

They get good reviews the CC+, unfortunately I don’t know much about the Goodyear’s.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've just noticed I can get the Goodyears for just over £100 each at Costco whereas I think I'd be looking at more like £140 for the Michelins so that might persuade me to give them a go...

·
Registered
790 Posts
I've just noticed I can get the Goodyears for just over £100 each at Costco whereas I think I'd be looking at more like £140 for the Michelins so that might persuade me to give them a go...
One of the reasons I went with the Goodyears. Almost the same spec, so price decides.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Was that including the promotion? They have just had a Michelin tyre offer and I replaced a pair of winter tyres on my Civic with Crossclimate+ and it was a very very good deal (I think I paid £60 each for 225/55/16). I guess you won't want to wait for the next one though, it will probably be in a few months.

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
Think the Goodyears have just won one of the all season tyre tests. I was just reading about them. They're more winter/wet biased. The cross climates are better in the dry I think. But Goodyears are better in wet and snow and ok in the dry.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Was that including the promotion?
Might have been. I'm normally very good at deciding to buy something immediately after a sale ends 🤦‍♂️

Edit: just checked again and the Goodyears are £104 and the Michelins £117 (plus £8 for fitting or thereabouts) so there's not as much in it as I thought :unsure:

That's for 215/50/17 btw

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just had this dilemma and went for Goodyear. Partly the saving at Costco but tyrereviews channel on YouTube said Goodyear better for northern users and michellin for southern.

The auto express test gave me added confidence. I am sure they will be better than the sport max I have now.

lastly a kona charging next to me yesterday had the Goodyear’s on which I saw as a sign!

·
Registered
602 Posts
We had crossclimate+ on our leaf.

Really grippy, tenacious, very very quiet, just great to live with on a day to day basis.

The downside was some loss of range, even in the dry but especially noticeable in the wet - their ability to shift water became a relative weakness there. However, we still used the car for some journeys and on the day I sold it did 76 miles from 100 down to 14%, so not terrible.

We previously also had them on our Volvo V70, and I will have zero hesitation in putting them on our Lexus or the Tesla.

The Goodyear is a perfectly decent tyre too, neither one is by any means "bad". The differences aren't huge, more a matter of trade-offs. The goodyear probably better in snow, the Michelin better in rain and dry (which is more the UK climate).

A final thing to consider is performance over wear life:

For those reasons, and positive experiences with them so far, I will personally choose the Michelin over the Goodyear again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts