Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 BMW i3 120Ah / '20 Hyundai Kona 64kWh
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my first real experience of some proper crosswinds vs the i3 yesterday... not much fun!!

50-60mph gusts and heavy rain whilst trying to maintain 120-130km/h along the E40 to get to the Eurotunnel on time, and at times having to literally wrestle with the wheel!

It’s bordering on ridiculous how much it gets blown about. (Hardly any other cars had any noticeable issues).

On the plus side, the narrow tyres cope well with heavy rain / patches of standing water, and the camera only ACC did much better than might be expected given the amount of spray.

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,325 Posts
Looking forward to hearing how your European travel went in an ONTO vehicle.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
576 Posts
Yes it's quite susceptible. Tall, flat sides, light weight, and very sensitive steering all combine forces against you there.

·
Registered
BMW i3 REx 2014
255 Posts
My car is also affected such that 60mph is my highest speed when there are crosswinds. Could it be that the sunroof is making the car more top heavy and so more affected by crosswinds?

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
Yes it's quite susceptible. Tall, flat sides, light weight, and very sensitive steering all combine forces against you there.
Is the i3 also heavier at the rear like the i-Miev? The i-Miev/Ion/C-Zero is also very susceptible to cross winds and I think part of the reason is the 55% rear weight bias.

When a cross wind hits a front heavy car the wind will have an easier time pushing the rear of the car sideways which provides some natural counter steer into the wind. But on a rear weight biased car it will push the front to the side more easily which will steer in the direction the wind is already pushing...

·
Registered
132 Posts
It was designed as a city car primarily. Handling on a motorway was always going to be a bit of a compromise I guess!

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
576 Posts
Is the i3 also heavier at the rear like the i-Miev? The i-Miev/Ion/C-Zero is also very susceptible to cross winds and I think part of the reason is the 55% rear weight bias.

When a cross wind hits a front heavy car the wind will have an easier time pushing the rear of the car sideways which provides some natural counter steer into the wind. But on a rear weight biased car it will push the front to the side more easily which will steer in the direction the wind is already pushing...
The standard i3 is 52/48, so very slightly rear biased. The i3S complicates matters further by having wider tyres at the rear so more grip. Certainly under heavy acceleration you can push the front end wide before the back loses grip.

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
The standard i3 is 52/48, so very slightly rear biased. The i3S complicates matters further by having wider tyres at the rear so more grip. Certainly under heavy acceleration you can push the front end wide before the back loses grip.
Ah, the i-Miev is the same - skinny tyres at the front and wider tyres at the rear. I'm sure that makes cross wind stability worse as well because even if the weight balance was 50/50 there is less grip at the front so likely for the front tyres to experience more side slip under cross winds than the rear.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
576 Posts
Maybe. I still think the main issue is the slab sides of the car .. I don't find my i3S particularly bad in the wind, I find more of an issue with the over sensitive steering. But I think all comers are very aware that the i3S is a very different car from the standard i3. The super skinny tyres and tall sidewalls on the standard i3 wheels makes it wiggly as hell. I just don't have major stability concerns with the i3S.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Maybe. I still think the main issue is the slab sides of the car .. I don't find my i3S particularly bad in the wind, I find more of an issue with the over sensitive steering. But I think all comers are very aware that the i3S is a very different car from the standard i3. The super skinny tyres and tall sidewalls on the standard i3 wheels makes it wiggly as hell. I just don't have major stability concerns with the i3S.
The i3s is more planted on the road in all conditions at the expense of a small amount of range.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Never had an issue with crosswind instability in our 2016.5 94REX, been in storm force crosswinds (Cornwall near the coast) on dual carriageways at 70 mph with enough puff to occasionally lift the wipers off the screen, car was fine, sure you felt the wind but it was stable and secure, tyre pressures are as recommended as for the alignment I assume it’s correct.
I’ve never understood the crosswind complaints as we’ve never had the issue.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Never had an issue with crosswind instability in our 2016.5 94REX, been in storm force crosswinds (Cornwall near the coast) on dual carriageways at 70 mph with enough puff to occasionally lift the wipers off the screen, car was fine, sure you felt the wind but it was stable and secure, tyre pressures are as recommended as for the alignment I assume it’s correct.
I’ve never understood the crosswind complaints as we’ve never had the issue.
The REx benefits from a bit more weight over the rear axle.

·
Registered
380 Posts
The REx benefits from a bit more weight over the rear axle.
Very true, but I would have thought the ‘S’ benefits more with the wider tyres.........but seems S drivers are still getting sidewind issues, maybe tyre pressures and geometry have a major contribution on the i3.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts