Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am now 6 hours into my 3-day test drive and I am well impressed with the comfort and the ride. It's a bit unnerving pulling away without any noise though! I have discovered the cruise control but does the Ampera have a Speed Limiter? On my C3 Picasso I can set any speed and the car will not exceed it - I use it all the time set to 30mph for town driving. The delivery driver thought it had but he could not find out how to set it. Mind you he also suggested running off petrol as the default setting and just using the batteries when running low on fuel!!!!!!!

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Is there a speed limiter on the Ampera? Unfortunately no :(

Sounds like that delivery driver has no idea about what the Ampera is about or how to get the best from it.

You will want to drive in NORMAL mode normally! That is on battery if you have charge and when you run out it automatically switches to petrol. You don't have to do a thing.

The other modes are MOUNTAIN. That runs on battery until it gets to about 40% and then switches to petrol. This is to ensure that you have a bigger battery buffer in the event of you climbing mountains. This isn't really needed with the hills we get in the UK but I find it useful to automatically keep 40% battery back for when I get to the other end of my trip so I can drive in town on battery. When I turn off the motorway I switch back to NORMAL to use up the battery.

HOLD switches to petrol only. That can be useful in winter to force the car to use petrol so you can benefit from the heat generated by the petrol engine. Otherwise I don't use it much. Don't forget that when it is running on petrol the petrol generator will cut in and out as it needs power. Often it still runs on battery even when you have run out of battery. Particularly when pulling gently away. Very clever.

Then there is SPORT - YES! This is the same as NORMAL except that the throttle is remapped to give a sportier drive.

They are the 4 modes.

There is also the L setting of the "gear" lever. In "L" the throttle and brakes are remapped to give a more aggressive regen braking with feet off both pedals.

·
Super Moderator
6,360 Posts
The delivery driver thought it had but he could not find out how to set it. Mind you he also suggested running off petrol as the default setting and just using the batteries when running low on fuel!!!!!!!
Your delivery driver was a complete plunker, that is exactly the opposite way that the car should be used. If you used petrol and reach a charging opportunity and still have battery range then you have wasted money. I wonder why Vauxhall haven't sold many Amperas?

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
If you used petrol and reach a charging opportunity and still have battery range then you have wasted money
Exactly!

If I am on a trip where I used petrol then I aim to always fully drain the battery before arriving. If I didn't use up all of the battery then it means I have used petrol when I could have used battery and so wasted money :)

That doesn't mean I always drain the battery before charging though because if I haven't used petrol on the trip then I can charge whenever I want and not waste money but as soon as I use petrol... either in HOLD or MOUNTAIN modes then I will always try to drain the battery before arriving at my destination. If I don't then I could have used less petrol!!!

·
Registered
705 Posts
I am now 6 hours into my 3-day test drive and I am well impressed with the comfort and the ride. It's a bit unnerving pulling away without any noise though! I have discovered the cruise control but does the Ampera have a Speed Limiter? On my C3 Picasso I can set any speed and the car will not exceed it - I use it all the time set to 30mph for town driving. The delivery driver thought it had but he could not find out how to set it. Mind you he also suggested running off petrol as the default setting and just using the batteries when running low on fuel!!!!!!!
The delivery may may have been mislead as he would have been told to use the generator as the default setting so that the customer would get full benifit from using the battery on delivery.

·
Registered
313 Posts
There's an element of truth there - if you run out of petrol the vehicle unlocks some of the unused battery capacity and reverts to electric operation for a few miles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts