Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have now driven the Ampera for 2600 miles and have noticed on occasions some unexpected results when using the cruise control.

It is difficult to pin down but it goes something like this...

Set the cruise for a speed - say 40mph now I cruise along and then there is a need to slow down either by braking or cancelling the cruise mode. Then as I drive further there is a need to accelerate to say 60mph to keep up with the traffic. Then as the need for speed is completed I use the cruise button to "Resume" to 40mph (push the button up - not down to set the speed). Instead of resuming the cruise sets the current speed which is not IMHO what should happen. I have, I think also, seen it set a lower speed.

This does not appear to happen all the time so it is difficult to pin down the exact sequence of events.

Has anyone else had the same sort of experience?

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Ray, as far as I know... if you switch off the CC then it forgets the previous set speed so that when you next press resume it basically sets at current speed.

To keep the memorised speed don't switch off.

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
Paul, I think Ray just means he's cancelled the set speed, not turned cruise control off entirely.

Ray, yes, I've noticed the same thing. Sometimes attempting to resume the set speed sets it instead. I think it may be when you hold the switch on 'Res+' for too long: it needs a brief touch to resume and I think if you hold it there too long it goes into the 'increasing speed while using cruise control' mode instead.

Resuming a Set Speed

If the cruise control is set at a desired speed and then the brakes are applied, the cruise control is disengaged without erasing the set speed from memory. Once the vehicle speed is about 40 km/h (25 mph) or greater, move the thumbwheel up toward RES/+ briefly and then release it. The vehicle returns to the previously set speed and stays there.

Increasing Speed While Using Cruise Control

If the cruise control system is already activated:
  • Move the thumbwheel up toward RES/+ and hold it until the vehicle accelerates to the desired speed, then release it.
    To increase the speed in small amounts, move the thumbwheel up toward RES/+ briefly and then release it. Each time this is done, the vehicle goes about 1.6 km/h (1 mph) faster.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
RayG said:
...need to slow down either by braking or cancelling the cruise mode.
It might be that there are two outcomes for the two actions above. Braking might disengage the cruise totally (unset), whereas using the pause cruise button (the leftmost button not the switch), pauses the current cruise until it is resumed using the +/Resume .

It could also be as Duncan says with quick verses long press...

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I have used cruise control for the last 10 years on 3 different cars and the one on the Ampera seems to have a mind of its own over those vehicles used previously 1 * Mercedes A Class and 2 * Vauxhall Astra. So I don't think I am using it incorrectly but I cannot at this time seem to find a sequence that is repeatable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts