Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after a generally rubbish 2020, it seems that 2021 could be the best year so far for EV launches in the UK. The £35k - £45k sector will see the Mustang Mach e, Skoda Enyaq, VW's ID4, Cupra El Born and Nissan Ariya to name a few. I reckon the Spanish one could sell very well provided they improve on the ID3's cheapskate hard plastics in the front passenger compartment. By the time we see them, VAG should have greatly improved their software issues so the pretty El Born will be a great contender. I tried to glean more info from Google this afternoon, but still have no idea when we'll see them in Seat showrooms. Can anyone else enlighten us?
PS: I haven't heard anything about Audi's version of the ID3/ID4 yet. Surely it's just a matter of time.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
1,181 Posts
Make no mistake: the El Born is not a Seat. It is a Cupra that will be manufactured in Germany.

·
Registered
Ze50 GT Line Elmo Referral ISB2GG for mutual £50 off
482 Posts
Yeah it was sad that they migrated the El Born from Seat to Cupra, would have been a great one. Happy to see they haven’t f*ck*d the Enyaq too. They look better than their VW counterparts.

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,605 Posts
Prefer the look of this over ID3 as always though more choices of next EV the better for everyone

·
Registered
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
1,067 Posts
There’s a big piece about this on Autocar’s website. It looks like it should be fun, but it’s trying a bit too hard visually (like all Cupras in my opinion). I really don’t like the pretend window in the C pillar. Great to have a proper electric hot hatch option though, and should sell well.

·
Registered
306 Posts
E-boost option in 2022 according to the film. No details but it’s a glossy rather than a techie

·
Registered
89 Posts
Oh no! Another EV with a short bonnet! 😉

Reactions: Tooks

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
8,438 Posts
I like what they’ve done with it much more than I thought I would, apart from it looking like the (short!) bonnet isn’t closed properly, I think they’ve hit the Seat brief quite well.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
33,168 Posts
.....2021 could be the best year so far for EV launches in the UK. The £35k - £45k sector will see.......
Depends what you mean by 'best'.

Gone are the days a hard working family guy like me (= no money) could lease an EV for less than the fuel cost in his current car.

What I am reading here is 'best year so far for the nicely well off to get an EV'.

I've decided to stop working hard, so I can get more money to buy these things. I expect the money to come flooding in now.

·
33,168 Posts
Oh no! Another EV with a short bonnet! 😉
I'm surprised that there is one at all, and that we've not seen more rear mounted drivetrains, the point of sticking it at the front was because ICE get too hot there, but this is not a limitation for BEVs.

BEVs are still being designed to appeal to people who are used to ICE formats.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Depends what you mean by 'best'.

Gone are the days a hard working family guy like me (= no money) could lease an EV for less than the fuel cost in his current car.

What I am reading here is 'best year so far for the nicely well off to get an EV'.
Donald, I completely agree with you. I'm not blessed with a company car or the sort of income that warrants a new £40k car every 3 years. That's why I drive a 3-year-old Soul.
For now, we've got to accept the higher EV prices over ICE. At least depreciation is generally lower, so total cost of ownership isn't bad.
I can't see EVs becoming £1000 - £3000 runarounds for the youth of today like many conventional cars.
Unless EV makers can make big profits from cheap cars, they'll concentrate on the pricier stuff out of our price range. This won't change until the EV battery makers oversupply the market, making prices fall for us mere mortals.

·
33,168 Posts
Donald, I completely agree with you. I'm not blessed with a company car or the sort of income that warrants a new £40k car every 3 years. That's why I drive a 3-year-old Soul.
For now, we've got to accept the higher EV prices over ICE. At least depreciation is generally lower, so total cost of ownership isn't bad.
I can't see EVs becoming £1000 - £3000 runarounds for the youth of today like many conventional cars.
Unless EV makers can make big profits from cheap cars, they'll concentrate on the pricier stuff out of our price range. This won't change until the EV battery makers oversupply the market, making prices fall for us mere mortals.
Yep, quite so. In fact, for precisely the reason that (as I agree) I can't see BEVs dropping to a few k, let alone a few hundred, I think the cost of motoring will go up for everyone.

Figure this; Gov has a certain income from ICE cars being plodded around. Without that income, what does it do, how does it generate the car-related revenues?

Well, it'll have to come up with some other creative ideas to pull in the taxes which are not based on the fuels (it is easy when there is fuel costs involved, and indeed easy to use taxes to dis-incentivise people to burn the stuff).

If electricity-for-road-use (ERV) continues to be untaxed to the burdens currently dumped on fossil fuels, then the tax will shift to the cars themselves, making them more expensive in addition to this minimum bottom-end value, which in part is very low now because cars currently remain expensive to run and own ... try selling a post 2006 car that does 20mpg. The cost of ownership is so high that the purchase value is low. Good for people who want a bargain V8 for the weekends maybe but crap for the lower echelons of societal income demographics.

Instead, the cost of motoring will be spread across the ownership fleet, instead of those with new cars. This will favour people who can afford new cars and have nice driveways in their nice houses, while the runners-up in society will find that they have been slung that particular cost-monkey further down the line.

The total through-life cost of owning a motor car will not change much, Gov income depends on it. That means while new car owners are living it up and seeing good value on their low-depreciating, low-energy-cost cars, those who cannot afford to do so end up going hungry for personal transport.

Frankly, although it is difficult to see right now, there is a potential disaster brewing for the politics of progressive economics with the demise of ICE.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Without wishing to offend iD3 owners I much prefer the look of the Born , and hopefully the interior feels more welcoming and upmarket. Looking forward to seeing what comes out as the Cupra version of the iD4/5. Having tested the iD4 the interior was a deal breaker, just didn’t feel like a place I wanted to spend anymore time than I had to.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts