Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far I have managed these figures:

Using 627 kWh of electricity and 54.61 litres of petrol at a total cost of £140.79 I also reckon compared to my Vauxhall Astra 1.8 Auto those miles would have cost me approx £534.66 at £1.32 per litre for petrol a saving of £393.87.

And yes it is VERY warm here today...

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
I was about to post something similar today, but I've only achieved 200mpg so far.

Interestingly I never see a range of more than 43miles. Is there a trick to get more ? Is it based on past driving or just the amount of juice stored..

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
The range estimate is based on both of those things. Amount of battery power remaining and recent past driving style.

Battery power remaining seems to be a bit dependent on the weather. I seem to be using 10.8 or 10.9 kWh now the weather is warmer where as before I were using 10.6 or 10.7.

Also, I noticed that when I were on holiday we stayed at the top of a 500ft hill climb. So, whenever we got back to the caravan we had just climbed the hill and so the range always looked aweful when we stopped or the next day. It always sorted itself out the next day though until we did the climb again!

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
RayG what's your driving profile like? have you done many 100 Mile+ journeys or is this all achieved from just 45, 60 mile trips??

Also do you usually keep your fuel tank full? I try to keep mine at a lower level (~50 miles), until I need to travel further.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@parax

So far I have kept the petrol tank full and I have done 4 150+ mile trips the first two where around 55mpg and the second two were 62mpg but I even had juice to spare in the battery at the end. The last two trips were all motorway apart from approx 12 miles and were petrol powered at 70mph on cruise control - on the way home the last 6 miles were stop start in a motorway queue.

Most of my trips are short as my mother has been in hospital for the last two months and that is a 16/17 mile round trip, sometimes twice a day. Costs are a bit misleading as on these nice sunny days if I do a short trip of approx 20 miles in the morning I can charge the battery almost for free from the solar panels my monitor says that I am pulling 800w to 1.2kW from the grid when the car is charging. The house is consuming 4-500W on idle (if you know what I mean). Then when visiting is over in the afternoon I leave that car to charge ready to go at 09:00 in the morning and by 07:00 my panels are about 1.5kW and by 09:00 up to 2.5kW so the above costs are assuming I use 100% of the electricity from the grid, which I don't.

I will be using petrol again for another trip in a few days and I may then see what the difference is when using battery. Not sure if I will be able to see the difference.

BTW my battery miles are usually 48 rather than 46 - been a bit heavy with the right foot over the last day or two I think :twisted:

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
48! eek.. your shoes must be inflated with helium..
although I have achieved a 50 mile run I don't think I could get anywhere near achieving a 48 average!
I'll blame it on Nottinghams hills and traffic lights, but I'm usually getting more like 38 miles!

My lifetime mpg is now under 120, after another run down to Heathrow.

·
Premium Member
11,205 Posts
Is it not the first rule of Votec to return home with an empty battery and more fuel in the tank :)

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
proddick said:
Is it not the first rule of Votec to return home with an empty battery and more fuel in the tank :)
That rule means always use battery rather than petrol. In other words... you don't have to use all the battery everytime but don't finish a journey using petrol if you still have battery power remaining.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
But one cannot always see what the end of the journey will be. I thought at 70 mph petrol is best and as I have just 2 miles to go when I get off the motorway I sometime don't have a choice.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I think it is always true that if you are on a journey that is further than your full battery range then you should always ensure that you have used all the battery by the end of the journey. How you split that between battery and petrol during the journey is down to your own preference. I prefer to save a bit of battery for my slow bit at the other end but I won't do that at the expense of not using all the battery even if that means going on to petrol for the last few miles. That is preferable to arriving having not used all the battery power that I could have.

Obviously, if your journey is shorter than the full battery range then none of this matters because you would do it all on battery power anyway.

Now, I understand that problem... we don't know how much battery to save for the other end. Well that comes with experience but just make sure you save too little rather than too much. Arriving with power still in the battery when you could have used that power instead of petrol is simply madness as it is just a waste.

If it were me Ray. with just 2 miles off motorway at the other end I wouldn't bother to save any battery power... just use all the battery on the motorway and accept you will go onto petrol at the other end. That way you are sure to use all the available battery power.

·
Premium Member
11,205 Posts
I am still to do my 'myth busting' test to see if this 'switch to hold mode' when on the motorway idea is worth the hassle and/or risk of ending up with charge left in the battery (which happened to me twice when I tried it!) Hopefully I will get the opportunity to do a semi-controlled test soon.

if the end of the journey was a congested city then I get the reduce local pollution argument and zero emission zones concept.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I have found that with a bit of experience I always end up using all the battery now.

Having said that, the savings are very small and probably not worth worrying about if you think you might not use all the battery... just use it up regardless. Better that then leaving some in the battery when you next fully charge.

·
Militant EV driver!
4,937 Posts
I gave up on the hold mode for the motorway and then trying to save some electricity for the end of the journey thing. I kept finishing with a couple of miles charge.

The car pretty much runs on electricity for a couple of miles under 30mph anyway in CS mode.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Agreed. I think I will give up on this too unless there is a good reason to do it. The benefit is just too small to worry about it :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Picked up the new Ampera today, really excited and looking forward to playing with all the features. The car was the demonstrator at Vauxhall Luton, so done 1800 miles with 118 mpg so far. I, like most buyers purchased the car with the battery range as a key criteria, so am really interested to see what I can get. Most usage will be under 40 miles but I need to make some journeys of 110, hence the Ampera over other EV's or Prius. I got 33 miles off battery on the run home which was a bit disappointing, but on reading the topic thread can hopefully get this up as no doubt demonstration driving was not the most economic. Will report on the progress!

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Don't mistake the estimate and what you actually get. The estimate is just that, based on recent use.

So, did you actually get 33 miles from a full charge? That isn't much. I have never had anything that low. I average about 40 - 45 miles.

·
Registered
99 Posts
During summer I always had an estimated range of 50 miles and managed about 45 miles per charge.Now that Autumn is with us I now get an estimated range of 48 miles and the max draw from the battery is 10.5 kw. I guess this is a battery temp thing

·
Registered
86 Posts
Likewise I was normally getting estimates in the high forties for range but now with the onset of the colder weather I only get an estimate in the high thirties, anyone else had a drop this big, btw not really had time to check what the actual range has been, but the used and left does seem to tally

Gary
Delivered May 2012
7600 miles at 105 mpg

·
Registered
145 Posts
My expected mileage has also dropped from 49 to 50 miles at best to 44 to 46 miles since the on set of the cooler weather.
Strange, as I have not changed anything from driving style, charging times or trip lengths.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts