Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
361 - 380 of 419 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Is nobody tempted to change their mind? Personally if I hadn’t had mine since last September, I would be tempted to look at the Born. Might not get it any sooner but I prefer the looks.
I've been looking at the born but to get the same specs is looking like it will come out as more and still no promises as to the delivery date.

Sent from my Surface Duo 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've been looking at the born but to get the same specs is looking like it will come out as more and still no promises as to the delivery date.

Nobody is giving any promises for delivery dates. The difference with VW is that they’re not even giving any trustable guidance whatsoever for anything EV they’re making.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Ordered in September 2021. Latest claim was July delivery.

Hanging on because the price was unbelievably cheap compared to what's on offer now. Hundreds a month.

VW are desperate for people to cancel so are deliberately providing terrible customer service. IMO. I reckon they're making at least £5k loss on every Family, Max or Tour they have to make.

·
Registered
Kona 64kw Premium 2022
639 Posts
I too have changed my mind. I cancelled my ID3 order as originally (at the time of order) I was told it would be delivered in May or June at the latest. By early March I was told it had a build date of week 40 but that this could slip. I therefore jumped ship.

Budget couldn't stretch to Polestar/Tesla/Ionic 5 etc but found a pretty good deal on an 'in stock' Kona 64 (which has actually been languishing at Tilbury docks for 6 weeks now awaiting transport to the dealer - its already 4 weeks late to him)

·
Registered
711 Posts
My main concern is that VW will cancel the order. They've probably got legal cover somewhere in the contracts. Or offer a voucher or something.

That would be a cheaper option for VW than building the things. Inflation for car materials since customer orders were placed last summer must be 10%? 15%? It's a lot of energy and metal, plus more expensive chips and wiring contracts, so maybe 20%? On a build costing £25,000 that would be £2,500 to £5,000 higher cost.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
My main concern is that VW will cancel the order. They've probably got legal cover somewhere in the contracts. Or offer a voucher or something.

That would be a cheaper option for VW than building the things. Inflation for car materials since customer orders were placed last summer must be 10%? 15%? It's a lot of energy and metal, plus more expensive chips and wiring contracts, so maybe 20%? On a build costing £25,000 that would be £2,500 to £5,000 higher cost.
On a build costing £25k? Do you really think that on a £35k RRP car, there's only £10k left after build costs to cover VW GmbH profit, VW UK profit and dealership profit margins, transport costs and warranty liabilities?

The dealerships alone have about 25% (£9k) margin if they max out on customer satisfaction and volume ratings.

The factory are knocking these out for less than £16k, inclusive of parts, energy, wages, plant/equipment and warranty liabilities. The parts will be no more than 60% of that £16k.

When I used to work at Ford Southampton, the plant KPI cost of building a £22k RRP top end Tourneo Transit van (back in 1998) was around £8k.

·
Registered
711 Posts
A Tour was £40,000, I believe, when it was available? Or was that with paint and alloys etc. Build cost £20,000?

Call it £1,500 to £3,000 cost inflation. It's a big dent in the P&L account. VW wants to rid themselves of Tours and Families ASAP so they can streamline to the single spec Life version now for sale, and getting people to cancel orders will be part of that.

Nobody's customer service is this bad without it being deliberate.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
A Tour was £40,000, I believe, when it was available? Or was that with paint and alloys etc. Build cost £20,000?

Call it £1,500 to £3,000 cost inflation. It's a big dent in the P&L account. VW wants to rid themselves of Tours and Families ASAP so they can streamline to the single spec Life version now for sale, and getting people to cancel orders will be part of that.

Nobody's customer service is this bad without it being deliberate.
That £40k tour will be no more than £16k to build, and no more than £10k of that will be parts - I think you're talking an extra £1k with 10% parts inflation and Germany currently getting most of its energy relatively cheaply (coal and Russian gas, before they're banned from using it by the rest of the EU). It'll hurt their bottom line, but not half as much as you're postulating.

Hate to break it to you, but VW UK customer service has always been crap. They make great cars, but I've had multiple issues with plenty of VWs bought that should have been properly resolved. Straightforward mechanical warranty issues are fine, but other things that the dealer fears non-reimbursement for when done under warranty are really concerning.

1. In 2007, my 2 week old Golf GT TDI170 was clouted by a bus. The local dealership group's workshop sat on my car for 5 weeks after having all parts until I went down there and had a go at them, painting out my untouched car in the lot. When it was finished, I picked it up in the dark and pouring rain. The brakes felt dodgy and the contents of my boot were missing. The next morning I surveyed the workmanship - oily handprints all over the headlining, scuffed alloys, a loose brake caliper, metal filings all over the back seats from the new rear quarter panel cut in, missing wheel arch linings. These got fixed over many visits, and the wheel arch of the rear quarter panel was resprayed 4 times over the next 9 months - it kept rusting up as the anti corrosion protection was compromised.

VW UK insisted that I accept a free valet from the workshop to close the case satisfactorily. I refused.

2. 3 counts of white worm corrosion on alloy wheel refused correction under warranty despite no breaches of lacquer attributable to user.

3. My 2015 Golf R took 8.5 months to arrive at a time when others were getting them in 3 months - the factory lost my order in a black hole. They strong armed my dealership to give me free Lifeshine that I didn't want, and wouldn't compensate the dealership for loss in my p/x value (5.5 months unplanned depreciation).

4. They dithered for a while on a warranty claim for a Polo tailgate that had to be slammed to shut them let it go into 6 months since collection and cited a 6 months limitation clause for "adjustment" and denied the claim. I fixed it myself in the end, but it was an undeniable mis-build at the factory

When they refuse stone-wall warranty work, the supplying dealership usually picks up the tab.

Absolute sheisters in customer care, but I do like VWs despite all that.

The waits and the wall of silence for many are not new/recent drops in customer service standards with current supply issues.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Several folks are known to have switched to more available vehicles - Polestars, EV6’s and in my own case a Model Y - and availability has even forced some to ICE rather than EV.
I had to extend my BMW i3 lease twice due to my November delivery (ordered in July) of an ID3 being pushed back... It got to April and I chose not to have a 3rd extension and likely having to purchase expensive new tyres etc as delivery was still not even on the radar. Bought a used 3.0tdi A5 and must admit I'm enjoying it - the media keep on about changing to EV's but given how things look at the moment, the current manufacture/delivery and rising (lease) cost situation is going to severely stall that, if you pardon the pun.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Update from my VW dealer regarding the two ID3's we ordered, the first was ordered in Sept and the second in Oct last year.
The first will be a MY22.5 (BW24) and unless the second ID3 gets a build sharpish it should be the MY23.0.
VW have honoured all orders that were already in so you will get exactly what ordered"

·
Registered
433 Posts
The ID3 no longer seems to be available or listed on the VW website? Only the ID4 and Buzz.
Shame really, I came very close to ordering an ID3 Tour last autumn through salary sacrifice, but the tax and mileage payment treatments for that arrangement killed it for me in the end. Nice car but VW seem unable to build many at the moment, and the dealer was truly dreadful!

·
Registered
82 Posts
The ID3 no longer seems to be available or listed on the VW website? Only the ID4 and Buzz.
Shame really, I came very close to ordering an ID3 Tour last autumn through salary sacrifice, but the tax and mileage payment treatments for that arrangement killed it for me in the end. Nice car but VW seem unable to build many at the moment, and the dealer was truly dreadful!
They must have been updating something when you looked, the builder only let's you select the Pro Performance Life though. There are warnings of extended build times whilst doing it too.

Let's hope they do honour the existing orders.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Ah ok. I ordered a Kia Niro today anyway so VW have missed out. I'd have wanted a Tour anyway.

·
Registered
Kona 64kw Premium 2022
639 Posts
I suspect a lot of "us" have cancelled over the past 2 months. From reading this forum and others it would seem a number have cancelled and then bought/leased a Polestar or a Tesla and those with smaller bidgets have gone for the Kona or eNiro.

I am sure VW doesnt care a jot about the lost business.

·
Registered
433 Posts
TBH I wasn't all that sold on the iD3. Nice car and liked the interior, even liked the haptic buttons. But the efficiency seemed very poor and I doubt you'd get anything like the WLTP range. The Niro on paper has a lower range than the iD3 Tour, but feedback seems to confirm it's much more efficient and can even exceed the WLTP range.
The VW dealer (Norwich) was absolutely shocking too. Surly staff who complained that they "didn't know anything about" my pre-booked test drive. She then proceeded to go and loudly moan at someone else "you can't keep doing this too me" before chucking me the keys. "It's parked out the back. You can have an hour, is that OK?" was the extent of her sales patter.
I wouldn't have bought from that dealer for sure!

Reactions: Jimrod

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
TBH I wasn't all that sold on the iD3. Nice car and liked the interior, even liked the haptic buttons. But the efficiency seemed very poor and I doubt you'd get anything like the WLTP range. The Niro on paper has a lower range than the iD3 Tour, but feedback seems to confirm it's much more efficient and can even exceed the WLTP range.
The VW dealer (Norwich) was absolutely shocking too. Surly staff who complained that they "didn't know anything about" my pre-booked test drive. She then proceeded to go and loudly moan at someone else "you can't keep doing this too me" before chucking me the keys. "It's parked out the back. You can have an hour, is that OK?" was the extent of her sales patter.
I wouldn't have bought from that dealer for sure!
A shite dealer is easily avoided, there are plenty of decent ones out there. However, most have their hands tied by lack of supply of cars and information from VW Germany, and they're the front face of VW that customers vent at.

I do think you're being harsh on the ID3. Efficiency for me is as per my realistic expectations - a solid 3.6 miles per kWh Summer driving at 75mph on the motorway with a bit of aircon, around 4.2 miles per kWh around the doors with temps above 15C, although very short journeys in Winter take a hammering due to battery heating being as big a battery drain as moving the car initially.

Kia do have lighter battery tech, but have a dirtier battery chemistry (heavier use of cobalt and cadmium), and get a little more range than pretty much any other marques out there.

Trouble with a lot of the efficiency stories is people comparing Summer urban efficiency for car X against Winter motorway efficiency for car Y. Like for like, there's not a lot between an EV6/Soul and an ID3.

For me, the ID3 is a superb car. The interior space they have for an EV that isn't a whacking great saloon or SUV, or a tiny supermini with 100 miles effective range. It's handling is as sharp as you can expect from the likes of a Golf with an extra 450kg of weight on board, tiny turning circle. There's not much more than I could ask from the car (maybe sports seats option, a proper armrest rather than the airline style ones and a more powerful variant). Apart from the Born, there's nothing else out that is available in the footprint of a VW Golf/Ford Focus. Initial software issues are long gone. All at a sensible (ish) RRP. It's a big monetary jump to the likes of Tesla and Polestar. Drove an EV6 not for me.

361 - 380 of 419 Posts