Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
381 - 400 of 419 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I ordered ID.3 Fastlane in Finland in the beginning of March -22. They promised delivery in early summer. I inquired about this 1,5 weeks ago, and the dealer said that my car will be in production last week and we will get it by the end of June. He may be lying, of course, but if not, then the fastlane model seems a wise move. With the Fastlane you don't get to choose many extras. They've left out the accessories that can't be produced right now.

·
Registered
433 Posts
A shite dealer is easily avoided, there are plenty of decent ones out there. However, most have their hands tied by lack of supply of cars and information from VW Germany, and they're the front face of VW that customers vent at.
This was back in September time when there were some delays but nothing like now. They were just rubbish, disorganised, too busy arguing with each other in front of potential customers and the particular lady who dealt with me was stuck so far up herself she could barely deign to speak to me.
I do think you're being harsh on the ID3. Efficiency for me is as per my realistic expectations - a solid 3.6 miles per kWh Summer driving at 75mph on the motorway with a bit of aircon, around 4.2 miles per kWh around the doors with temps above 15C, although very short journeys in Winter take a hammering due to battery heating being as big a battery drain as moving the car initially.
[...[
For me, the ID3 is a superb car. The interior space they have for an EV that isn't a whacking great saloon or SUV, or a tiny supermini with 100 miles effective range. It's handling is as sharp as you can expect from the likes of a Golf with an extra 450kg of weight on board, tiny turning circle.
Yeah I do agree with you - it's a lovely interior and a nice drive. But the efficiency isn't as good as it should be - car like that should be pushing high 4's, into 5 m/kWh is favourable conditions, and it's nowhere near. It was about 14C the day I drove it, mainly on city streets with a few minutes at 50mph and a quick blast along a dual carriageway. It returned 2.6 m/kWh over the one hour drive. Really very poor and the battery heating thing in winter is just bonkers.
I'd have just gone to another dealer, but the disappointing efficiency killed it for me. I could have made a Tour work but then that was withdrawn and I just don't think the 58kWh version would suit my use case.

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,905 Posts
This was back in September time when there were some delays but nothing like now. They were just rubbish, disorganised, too busy arguing with each other in front of potential customers and the particular lady who dealt with me was stuck so far up herself she could barely deign to speak to me.

Yeah I do agree with you - it's a lovely interior and a nice drive. But the efficiency isn't as good as it should be - car like that should be pushing high 4's, into 5 m/kWh is favourable conditions, and it's nowhere near. It was about 14C the day I drove it, mainly on city streets with a few minutes at 50mph and a quick blast along a dual carriageway. It returned 2.6 m/kWh over the one hour drive. Really very poor and the battery heating thing in winter is just bonkers.
I'd have just gone to another dealer, but the disappointing efficiency killed it for me. I could have made a Tour work but then that was withdrawn and I just don't think the 58kWh version would suit my use case.
How about a Cupra Born? They have 77kWh models available.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts

Not sure what you're after from the car - do you need a longer range because you do long journeys and want to minimise charging away from home, or just bothered about efficiency, but don't necessarily need the long range?

A test drive isn't necessarily the best way to judge efficiency, you end up driving it harder than you normally would as you're testing it out. I had a 32 miles commute this morning, 2 miles of pootling around 40mph roads and then 29 miles doing 75mph on the A19, then a mile mixed driving into the business park 13C, and the journey yielded 3.8 miles oer kWh. On the way back, I cut across to join the A1 back up to Newcastle and go to the Metrocentre to then go home - 51 miles on that journey, about 27 miles doing 75mph and 50mph most of the rest of it, 14C ambient temp 4.1 miles per kWh. On that basis, in decent weather, the ID3 isn't exactly leagues behind the Kias. Ask someone how they're getting 5 miles per kWh in their EV6, it's not very likely they were sat on the motorway doing 75mph, more like 40mph around the doors or a motorway journey strictly adhering to 55-60mph (just from looking at Kia forum entries here). If I were to do a motorway joourney say at 60mph, i'd be doing an easy 4.5 miles per kWh, maybe more.

There used to be someone on the Golf GTI forum I used to be on, showing trip readouts showing 51mpg, but used to sit on the motorway at 58mph to achieve that.

I think it's more of a case that the Kia is marginally better than Ave, rather than the ID3 being worse than average. Our ID3 does seem marginally more efficient than last year, maybe better battery thermal management on software version 2.3 than 2.1 that the xar came with.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
There are 47 CUPRA Born on AutoTrader, so there is UK stock.
A fair few of those look like demonstrators that they're seemingly planning on running as such for 6 months before making them available to buy as second hand cars, and some others are incoming orders with stock photos that they don't physically have yet. I've yet to trawl through the configurator, but i'm very slightlytempted to put an order in, to expect it in a year's time and hopefully the bubble on used cars won't yet have burst, so the ID3 will still command most of its RRP when sold. I think I would have to see the interior in the flesh though and see if I could live with the Bronze trim. Would most likely go for one with the boost to 230ps and sports seats. Are sports seats standard on any of the models 1/2/3 or is it an add on pack? Couldn't give a toss about the HUD, or lack of Matrix lights, but to be honest i'm not desperately wanting to change the ID3 either, it would just be nice to have that little 26ps boost.

I would want to see what the GFVs are on the finance calculator and how they stack up to the ID3. Part of the reason i've had lots of VWs, a few Audis and no Seat/Cupras is that even though they generally have a lower RRP vs equivalent VWs, i've always had a hard time getting a decent level of discount (no chance in current circumstances, I know) and the residuals have always been significantly worse. Buying a Cupra could be an expensive proposition if it costs the same as a VW, but depreciates like a Ford.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Life Pro Performance, MY22 (software v2.3)
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #390 ·
It was about 14C the day I drove it, mainly on city streets with a few minutes at 50mph and a quick blast along a dual carriageway. It returned 2.6 m/kWh over the one hour drive.
I had a 32 miles commute this morning, 2 miles of pootling around 40mph roads and then 29 miles doing 75mph on the A19, then a mile mixed driving into the business park 13C, and the journey yielded 3.8 miles oer kWh. On the way back, I cut across to join the A1 back up to Newcastle and go to the Metrocentre to then go home - 51 miles on that journey, about 27 miles doing 75mph and 50mph most of the rest of it, 14C ambient temp 4.1 miles per kWh.
My experience is much closer to Monkeyhanger’s. Honestly I can’t remember getting as low as 2.6 on any hour+ journey - even in the winter I was averaging 3.4, and since 1 March between 4.0-4.1.

Yesterday (in mid-teens degrees, some showers) I drove from Dorset to Shropshire, M5 from Taunton to Worcester at mostly 65-70mph, plus a mix of A/B roads and a few tiny country lanes, finishing with an average of 4.0. On some of my regular 60-mile A/B road journeys in the last month or two I’ve had 4.5 or higher, and I’ll be surprised not to get 5 reasonably regularly as the summer comes in properly.

The ID.3 may not be the most efficient car out there, but it’s really not bad.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
plus, it’s likely to get better as they tweak the battery heating etc. We’ve already seen VW change the charging curve to get a increased kW throughput at low battery levels.
But… that’s only on newer cars out of the factory. No one has yet had the software (and hardware module) update that’s supposed to do this. Sorry for my cynicism - I really hope it all works but VW have had a crap record in getting their updates out (still waiting for 2.3 here…)

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22)
419 Posts
plus, it’s likely to get better as they tweak the battery heating etc. We’ve already seen VW change the charging curve to get a increased kW throughput at low battery levels.
I have a car that doesn't do the battery heating when cold in an obvious way (built late last year) and it's great for short journey efficiency in winter but I don't think it helps at all on longer trips. I suspect the car does the same heating but just cuts in after a certain time or when a certain power is reached, then spreads it out more. My efficiency isn't as good as Coalhangar above... the worst I've had on a long term trip was 2.4 (65mph in one of those big windy winter storms), in winter I generally got about 3 on the motorway at 70 but sometimes a bit less (2.8-2.9) from a cold start with the family in the car. Now I generally get about 3.4-3.5, edging up to 3.8 if there are stretches of busy traffic. I only see 4+ when driving much more slowly (50mph roads or less). My overall long term average since January (4k miles) has just ticked up from 3.3 to 3.4.
It's funny though, I was thinking on the way home this evening (while trying to beat 4.5 on a 40mph road with some lights) how it's kind of funny that people obsess about efficiency, especially those with home charging and Octopus Go. Even if I caned it off the lights every time, did 90 on the motorway and averaged 2mi/kwh it would still be dirt cheap to run while in range of the house.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
It's funny though, I was thinking on the way home this evening (while trying to beat 4.5 on a 40mph road with some lights) how it's kind of funny that people obsess about efficiency, especially those with home charging and Octopus Go. Even if I caned it off the lights every time, did 90 on the motorway and averaged 2mi/kwh it would still be dirt cheap to run while in range of the house.
It is odd. I usually leave the efficiency screen on. It's not about saving money (I'm on the 15p/5p Octopus GO tariff until 21 May 2023), its about seeing how efficiency is affected by driving style. I'm not so obsessed that I become one of those types who'll sit on the motorway at 58-60mph and jostle with the trucks.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I had an update from the dealer last week stating that the estimated build date of Week 18 is now a confirmed build date 2nd to the 8th May so hopefully as it is now confirmed it wont change again but I wont hold my breath on that.
Further update from the dealer at the weekend the ID3 was built on the confirmed build date at the start of May and is now is the UK at the docks awaiting transportation to the dealer and will be ready for collection/delivery within a week or two. A total of 31 weeks from order to arriving in the UK.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
We were so lucky to get one of the last incoming Tour Pro S cars, ordered through Vanarama in November last year, got it beginning of March. That was pipeline stock.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Further update from the dealer at the weekend the ID3 was built on the confirmed build date at the start of May and is now is the UK at the docks awaiting transportation to the dealer and will be ready for collection/delivery within a week or two. A total of 31 weeks from order to arriving in the UK.
Ours is still at Build Week 27, so hopefully we get it around Septembe.

·
Registered
711 Posts
The Zwickau factory has been back to full steam for the last two weeks. So there should be a flow of cars on the way.

But there isn't a flow of information. The dealers can get nothing from the factory, so they're helpless when it comes to getting info from dealers to customers. Build weeks seem a vague estimate, with some customers getting them changed by many weeks or cars suddenly showing up as built and on the way.

My order date was 17 Sept (Leaseplan, Family Pro Perf). I'm guessing typical wait time is 10-12 months, a few cars earlier, a few later. So I'm approaching the right window. But no idea if there's any chance of Aug holiday in it.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Just had word from VW, our ID3 has already been built and is now waiting for the next ship.
We should have it next month apparently.
My Dad’s is still waiting for a Build week, his was ordered in October.

·
Registered
Pro Business 150kW
1 Posts
I ordered ID.3 Fastlane in Finland in the beginning of March -22. They promised delivery in early summer. I inquired about this 1,5 weeks ago, and the dealer said that my car will be in production last week and we will get it by the end of June. He may be lying, of course, but if not, then the fastlane model seems a wise move. With the Fastlane you don't get to choose many extras. They've left out the accessories that can't be produced right now.
This case from Finland too:

I ordered ID3 Pro Performance Business in late 09/21. First delivery was promised March 22, then May 22, then July 22. Now the latest info is that it might come in July, or if not then November. Pffft...

381 - 400 of 419 Posts