Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Current lead time?

85K views 425 replies 79 participants last post by  Mice 
#1 ·
Just wondering if anyone with a recent or soon-to-be-delivered order can shed any light on current lead times for factory orders? (Nothing exotic! Thinking Life Pro or Pro Performance).

#3 ·
Ordered 3 weeks ago, still waiting for a production slot, was told 3 weeks ago that it'll be September. Still problems with semiconductors, one factory burned down, another is in an area in the middle of a bad drought so has to get water shipped in. That combined with a step down in production at the smaller companies due to covidis giving the shortage.

#4 ·
Depends how quick you want it. If you ask about, there are "Pipeline" cars coming through- built or about to be built. A dealer sourced me a Life Pro Performance in my specified Glacier White with East Derry wheels on March 29th, already built and waiting for a buyer to put it on the shipping priority list. I received it on May 8th and paid around £450 less than the drive the deal broker price.

#9 ·
Well, to my surprise I had a phone call this morning to tell me my car is scheduled to be built around the end of this month, for delivery end of July/early August (I actually don’t want it before early/mid August but that’s another story!). So that implies lead time of something like 8-10 weeks! (There may have been a delay in confirming the order because of a spam mis-detection, another story again…)

It wasn’t showing that way when I looked at the My VW portal afterwards, so hopefully it’s true and wasn’t a dream… maybe the dealer view gets a different data refresh cycle, who knows…?

#10 ·
Interesting, I just did the old trick of removing the car and then adding in again and it's now changed to stage 3- build week confirmed. Which I believe 'should' be about 4 weeks before it is actually built. With a 16 week lead time I didn't expect to be at stage 3 until mid July. So guessing mine 'could' be early August too though I can imagine port delays etc

#15 ·
I tried the web chat and they blanked my request for an update on the progress of my car. Instead they gave me a customer hotline, which generated an email containing a standard PDF which stated that my car would be ready when it was ready and not before.

I paraphrase of course...

The dealer just shrugs when I ask him and says he has no further information. He won't or can't find the details in any way. Apparently phone calls to.the factory bring nothing!

I am in Germany, where customer service is famous for being atrocious, but VW really are bad!

Ordered end of Feb. First non-binding was mid August, they changed that to June, which clearly they have now missed, and now they are claiming the June date was never really real and it's possibly going to be August!

I don't know. I think there is a chance I might not see my car until early Autumn. Possibly later.

ID.3 is a car of the future, sold by a company with a customer service from the past.

#16 ·
Customer service atrocious in Germany? Well there's a myth busted. I thought theirs was exemplary as the market demanded it and was less apathetic than ours.

It is completely crap here in the UK with VW and has been for many years.

Usually the way to get progress is to ring customer services - they won't know, but if you insist that they check with the department who do know, you'll be put on hold briefly and get an answer.

#17 ·
When I first moved to Germany I was told that if it weren't for market pressures, the German shop keepers would probably never open at all. In fact the best thing you can say about German customer service is that it's not as bad as Austria.

If you ever go to a German restaurant, bring plenty of patience.

/rantmodeoff

I did try to ring customer services, and after an extensive security check, they just sent me a generic PDF that said,

"At the current time, we do not have any more detailed information on the delivery date. As soon as an appointment is available for collection at the Autostadt, your sales advisor will contact you. "

I mean that's all they could give me after missing the non-binding delivery date and moving me back to another arbitrary non-binding date in August.

I think the honest answer is they have a shortage of semi connectors and they are allocating them to those cars that sell well and have a high profit margin, such as the T-Roc, and they are gambling that they can source more semi conductors to honour the contracts they have made for less profitable cars, such as the ID3.

#18 ·
I currently hae no visibility of my order. On the Global dashboard all I can see is my current GTE, and there is no way of adding an order number, logging in to the UK dashboard has worked on a couple of occations, but most of the time I get stuck on the "One last step to complete your registration" screen. I have already completed my registration, but if I try to get past this by filling it all in again all that happens is that the page remains unchanged with an added message that I am already registered.

#19 ·
I got a status from the online chat yesterday. I've a 'stock' order so have a VIN. From that they were able to tell me its sat somewhere waiting to be shipped to the UK. I asked about the timing - and they said usually two weeks.

Might be worth trying the chat again? A different operative may give you a different answer (hopefully a better one!)

#41 ·
@EV Believer - just checked on the UK chat. I can only assume that for some unknown reason we have different/better operatives than you have in Germany. This is a copy paste of the conversation:

Tom02:49 PM
Hi there - I was wondering if you could tell me the shipping/delivery status of my order please? VIN number WVW****

Concierge02:49 PM
Welcome. A customer service agent will be with you shortly.

Concierge02:49 PM
You are now chatting with Liam

Liam02:49 PM

Good afternoon Tom, you're through to Liam at Volkswagen UK. I hope you are well.

Liam02:50 PM
I can certainly look into your order for you.

Tom02:50 PM
Great thanks. its a moonstone grey iD3

Liam02:51 PM
Perfect, thank you, I have found your fantastic ID.3 Life Pro and may I say, a brilliant choice Tom.

Tom02:52 PM
Thanks. Last time I checked it was waiting for a place on a ship..

Liam02:52 PM
Your vehicle shows as at the UK port.

Tom02:52 PM
Oh - thats great news - its kind of arrived then. Only a few days to get down to the dealer and have its checks etc..

Liam02:53 PM
Not too long now, I hope you have many happy years with your new ID.3 Life Pro.

Liam02:53 PM
Is there anything else I can help you with Tom?

Tom02:53 PM
Thanks Liam. Nope thats all. Much appreciated.

Tom02:53 PM
Bye.

#23 ·
So I tried and I got this:

The vehicles of the ID. Family is subject to exclusive care. We will therefore be happy to discuss your questions with you personally. If you wish, we will inform our colleagues and will be happy to call you back. Please give us your name, email address and telephone number.

I declined to do this, because when I did this before, I got a PDF and then I got a snotty call from the dealer asking why I was being annoying (I paraphrase). When I declined the chat windows offer of giving me a call, I got this response.

We do not give out any information about the delivery status in the chat. You are also welcome to contact customer service yourself. You can reach them daily on the toll-free number 0800 (VOLKSWAGEN) 8655792436.

So, seems as though this is something UK VW will do (give you a status report on the build) but in Germany, you can go screw yourself.

I am pretty sure I won't be buying VW in the future. I am already pissed off with them and I haven't even got the car yet!

#26 ·
So I tried and I got this:

The vehicles of the ID. Family is subject to exclusive care. We will therefore be happy to discuss your questions with you personally. If you wish, we will inform our colleagues and will be happy to call you back. Please give us your name, email address and telephone number.

I declined to do this, because when I did this before, I got a PDF and then I got a snotty call from the dealer asking why I was being annoying (I paraphrase). When I declined the chat windows offer of giving me a call, I got this response.

We do not give out any information about the delivery status in the chat. You are also welcome to contact customer service yourself. You can reach them daily on the toll-free number 0800 (VOLKSWAGEN) 8655792436.

So, seems as though this is something UK VW will do (give you a status report on the build) but in Germany, you can go screw yourself.

I am pretty sure I won't be buying VW in the future. I am already pissed off with them and I haven't even got the car yet!
There are definitely differences - on the UK website to check order status you have to use the 'order number' of which I don't have, NOT the VIN number - but on the German website I can enter my VIN number but not anything else (and it doesn't tell me the order status anyway!).

Who knows...

Perhaps have another go (use a different name in the chat etc..) and ask what is the delivery status - rather than a delivery date? And if that isnt forthcoming, ask if they can tell you if its in production, produced waiting to ship, on the ship etc.... ?

#28 ·
Mine started as "you can have it on friday" (on a sunday) - and by tuesday (when I'd agreed) it slipped to just over two weeks... presently waiting a shipping slot I was told by VW, "oh they come through fast" according to the dealer... :D

I'm not holding my breath - but can wait 2-3 weeks or so... not 14...

#31 ·
I ordered by VW ID.3 Family at the end of April. Lead time at that point was 12 weeks, so was expecting it to be delivered at the end of July.
This has now been extended by four weeks to the end of August.
At this point, I'm not expecting it before September. I fully expect it to slip further.

#32 ·
I ordered at the end of February. I was also told, initially, and of August, this was bumped to June, the slipped back to Mid August.

I fully expect to not see a car until September.

What pisses me off is a lack of transparency. VW clearly know when these cars.Will be made, but they don't want to publicly say anything because it will affect their share price.

If it is revealed that semi conductors are being prioritised to diesel and petrol cars because they have a higher profit margin than EVs, then their green intentions are shown to be fraudulent.

Currently if I directly contact the chat line they refuse to talk to me and give me a.hotline. If I call them, they refuse to talk to me, send me a generic PDF that's says 'don't call us, we'll call you' and then I get a call from the dealer to say he's been contacted with a complaint, because now, apparently, asking for a progress report on the car that I've ordered qualified as a complaint.

At this level of customer investment, the level.of customer service is simply not good enough.

#33 ·
VW clearly know when these cars.Will be made
Honestly, I suspect they don't know at all. Unfortunately they seem to be trying to avoid telling customers that, rather than being a bit more up front about it.

The shortages and delays are affecting a lot of manufacturing industries. It's quite possible VW are operating completely outside their usual procedures and making cars as parts become available.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.