Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2012 24kw upgraded to 40kw
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can i get the wisdom of the community on prices for a 2017 30kW acenta ?

I've seen an acenta at £9500; one owner, 33k miles - advertised at Arnold Clarke (on 'sale' reduced by 1500). Seems a competitive price, though i'd want to run Leafspy to see what the battery looks like.

I've got a 2012 24kw - would i be correct that this 30kw should manage 100 miles in the summer ? (at 60-70mph, dry etc). And how far in the winter ?

·
Registered
2018 Leaf 40kwh Tekna
190 Posts
I have had both 24 and 30 kWh Leafs. I can say 100 miles is doable in summer, although wouldn't leave too much in reserve. Winter range was easily 90 miles none motorway speeds with heat etc. When I got the 30 back in 2016 I wasn't convinced i would appreciate the extra range over the 24 but proved to be very useful.

·
Registered
363 Posts
My experience with a new to me second hand 2017 Acenta 30 over my first Summer at a real 60 on a dry motorway run was over 4 mile/kwh which was certainly 100 miles, though as stated above with not a lot of spare. IIRC got to about 105 miles more than once at which point the VLBW kicked in which suggests another 5-6 miles.

Through this winter I would say that with liberal use of heating and conditioning in wetter colder weather I get 80-85 miles of 60mph motorway before the vlb warning kicks in. Definitely takes a significant hit.

Another example recently, a 70 mile round trip across country 30-65mph the whole way in very cold fairly wet conditions with three adults in the car, heating and air conditioning on the whole time. Started with 100% charge and finished with 27%.

I was impressed. Though remember mine is flame red which is good for an extra 5 miles 🤭

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, good to hear some real experience. I'll go and look at this car on Saturday, and see what Leafspy says - dealer/salesman is actually keen to see how the OBD and Leafspy works (!). Of course, if the data is bad he may well change his mind about how useful it is... I'll be expecting an SoH in the 87-92% range, and a nicely balanced set of cells with no outliers. However, i think this car may have sat about for the past few weeks - they've made a big price reduction, and i think that the GOM is showing 79 miles fully charged with 12 bars. But, this is info from a photo of the interior which doesn't show the dash properly and so it could be wrong (and the GOM is pretty much a random number generator...).

I note that there's a keenly priced 30kW in the classifieds here; but it's flame red and SWMBO will not entertain red.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a 2017 30 Acenta. 57000 miles on the clock, 86.9% soh last time I checked. I'd trust it for (if desperate) 100 miles but only on the way home. I did York to home last year ok (98 miles) and have done Warwick services to home (105 miles) several times after free vends on EcoT. In the winter, rain, darkness and cold are a killer, and I've been caught short a few times returning from Lancaster (65 Miles). The key is to know where all the rapids are for every trip in case a 10 minute life saving top up will be needed. Price wise I did look the other day and 2017 acentas were advertised around 11k from what I could see..

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update; the Leaf was a lemon - only 10 bars, and looking rather unloved. I didn't manage to connect the OBD to look in detail (the OBD port access cover wouldn't come off...). The dealership didn't have either charging cable (!) and had ordered one (said it was £1800 - surely not ?).

I'm back to wondering whether i'd be better off just replacing the battery in mine, with a 40kw (but currently none available) or find a really good 30kw (though i'm not sure the breakers provide battery health data - so how to get a good one ?). Sigh.

·
Registered
363 Posts
How long have you been looking? If not long I'd keep trying, at least for a couple of months, I'm sure you'll find a better example.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How long have you been looking? If not long I'd keep trying, at least for a couple of months, I'm sure you'll find a better example.
I was not really looking - i thought i'd have a nose about on Autotrader and this one looked like a really good deal. It's a question of economics; comparison of keeping my car (2012, but in super good shape) and putting in a new battery versus the cost of upgrading to a newer car with a better battery (eg a Leaf 30, or maybe 40). I'm a total skinflint/cheapskate when it comes to cars, and prefer to spend as little as possible. Of course, depreciation on electric ones may be less. I also don't like the notion of PCP etc, i prefer to just buy and be done with it - old fashioned !

·
Registered
117 Posts
Had a quick look at the acentas an found a 2016 leaf 30kwh 16000miles full nissan history with 12 mths nissan warranty etc etc £10400, 2017 30kwh 25000miles £10797 full history with 12 mths nissan warranty, I reckon there's movement in them prices too, plus if you take the pcp/finance crap they'll give you another £400 off them prices.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The prices that i've seen advertised are 8-8.5k for a 40kw (and 7k for a 30kw - but that seems a poor deal vs the 40!).

I believe that a salvage 40kw pack is about 5k, and then you need a CAN bridge and cable (supplied by EVs enhanced, Dala, Muxsan, or Ingenext) for about 600, labour costs at a garage are advertised as around 2k.

I've been toying with the possibility of DIY (i used to be handy with a spanner, but gave up as cars become computers... and i could afford to pay someone else to get greasy). The Dala video, and others, have noted that pack removal isn't that hard - but it's both heavy and high voltage (i bet there are plenty of H&S rules - though for pack switching you're not likely to electrocute yourself, though it's your life you're risking !).

I would be happy to spend up to 8k on my old car, to get a 40kw range. It's done just under 24k miles, and is like new. The downside is that it has the first gen heater, and will be 9 years old. The downside to getting a newer 30kw is that there's always the chance to get a car with issues (and it doesn't go as far as a 40kw...). None of the foregoing concerns are really big potatoes, as i could resolve them by spending money and buying a 40kw leaf (or model 3). I'm just too stingy !

·
Registered
363 Posts
If you're stingy I can't see the battery replacement being your thing. Assume the 40kwh upgrade at say £8k, and add that to the current value of your 24kwh, let's say if in immaculate condition with lowish mileage you might get 6k looking at Autotrader.

I'm no expert but I cannot in a million years see a 2012 Acenta irrespective of battery size/SoH, being worth £14k. Maybe someone would but given it would be non standard....... I know I wouldn't.

So I'm my mind you've immediately lost 2 or 3k straight out the gate.

Whereas a good condition 2017 30kwh will be worth what you pay for it so you in effect lose nothing. Get from a dealer and you have all sorts of warranties and rights of return including MoT failure warranty and so on.

I dunno, but the battery replacement option has never made sense to me given what it costs.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you're stingy I can't see the battery replacement being your thing. Assume the 40kwh upgrade at say £8k, and add that to the current value of your 24kwh, let's say if in immaculate condition with lowish mileage you might get 6k looking at Autotrader.

I'm no expert but I cannot in a million years see a 2012 Acenta irrespective of battery size/SoH, being worth £14k. Maybe someone would but given it would be non standard....... I know I wouldn't.

So I'm my mind you've immediately lost 2 or 3k straight out the gate.

Whereas a good condition 2017 30kwh will be worth what you pay for it so you in effect lose nothing. Get from a dealer and you have all sorts of warranties and rights of return including MoT failure warranty and so on.

I dunno, but the battery replacement option has never made sense to me given what it costs.
I think that my equation doesn't involve 'residual' value - of course a 2012 car with a 40kw battery isn't going to be worth much secondhand. It's a question of how much to spend, and what you get for it (at least, that's my perspective). Spend a few thousand (about 6-7k ?) to upgrade to a 30kw (with a 80-100 mile range) or spend 8k to get 120+ range. I tend to keep vehicles for 5 years plus, so they're not worth anything by then.

If my old jalopy could do 120+ miles, that'd be fab, and i suspect it'd remain quite good for the next 5 years or so (and i'm suspecting my kids might inherit it as/when they learn to drive and want a car). Then, i'd buy another EV.

Also, i've never placed any faith in main dealers or warranties - which may be unduly pessimistic; but it seems that making a claim is a pain with variable/low chance of success. My view is that it's better to have little money tied up in a car, and accept that it'll need fixing from time to time (tho with a good electric one, there's no money to spend on servicing and not that much to go wrong).

·
Registered
363 Posts
Yeah I totally get that viewpoint badman, certainly one very valid way of approaching it, but for me I'd prefer to pay much less overall including the sale cost of the car in hand to get a much much newer car with a 100 Mile range. Partly depends upon your usage profile I guess and what you need.

I do normally hate dealers, but my experience was ok, I reckon they are a mixed bag.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah I totally get that viewpoint badman, certainly one very valid way of approaching it, but for me I'd prefer to pay much less overall including the sale cost of the car in hand to get a much much newer car with a 100 Mile range. Partly depends upon your usage profile I guess and what you need.

I do normally hate dealers, but my experience was ok, I reckon they are a mixed bag.
The other thing that my rather stingy view does not account for is the genuine enjoyment that is to be had by driving electric. My baseline smugness is pretty high (understatement ?), and driving the Leaf leads to 'peak smug'. I should really accept that spending a few bob on this is in fact a reasonable investment (depending upon your perspective...).

Usage - this jalopy is my wife's commute (i cycle), and we occasionally need to do 100-115 mile trips. I'd like to get something that can do it with no charging en route. Also, an occasional trip to Skye or the Highlands (i'm in the central belt) would be possible with 120+ range.

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,528 Posts
Usage - this jalopy is my wife's commute (i cycle), and we occasionally need to do 100-115 mile trips. I'd like to get something that can do it with no charging en route. Also, an occasional trip to Skye or the Highlands (i'm in the central belt) would be possible with 120+ range.
Do you really need the extra range? It seems sufficient for your wife’s daily commute. You would save a couple of extra charge stops when you go further afield, but only a couple of times a year. You could even just hire a car for those occasions. It would be a lot less than the £8k you’d need to upgrade your present Leaf. Just wait until you pass it on to your kids and get a longer range EV then.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Do you really need the extra range? It seems sufficient for your wife’s daily commute. You would save a couple of extra charge stops when you go further afield, but only a couple of times a year. You could even just hire a car for those occasions. It would be a lot less than the £8k you’d need to upgrade your present Leaf. Just wait until you pass it on to your kids and get a longer range EV then.
Yes, you're correct that we'd use the extra range rarely - and currently we rent an ICE when going on longer trips. I find the newer ICE cars that i rent less enjoyable to drive than the Leaf (they are surprisingly loud inside compared to an EV), not to mention a lot less good for the environment. I'm also thinking that with the range of a 40kw, i suspect we'd go further afield (North coast 500 ?). Following this logic down the rabbit hole, i then wonder that maybe a model 3 really isn't such an extravagance...

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,528 Posts
Yes, you're correct that we'd use the extra range rarely - and currently we rent an ICE when going on longer trips. I find the newer ICE cars that i rent less enjoyable to drive than the Leaf (they are surprisingly loud inside compared to an EV), not to mention a lot less good for the environment. I'm also thinking that with the range of a 40kw, i suspect we'd go further afield (North coast 500 ?). Following this logic down the rabbit hole, i then wonder that maybe a model 3 really isn't such an extravagance...
Could you not hire an EV instead maybe even that Model 3 you hanker after? Not sure how available EVs are to hire in your area, but may be worth doing a bit of research.

I was due to do the NC500 in a M3 but it had to have a new front wiring loom! Did it instead in the MS Loaner the SC provided. Slept in the car which saved on accommodation, as I’m a bit stingy as well ;)

·
Registered
363 Posts
It's almost as if they're there's a theme developing that folks North of the border are a wee bit stingy........ 🤭🤭

1 - 20 of 46 Posts