Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Hyundai IONIQ
424 Posts
I am quite “close” to a Hyundai dealer told 5 minutes ago that it is 22 weeks for a “today” order (end of July)

In theory, your Nov order, which will have missed December production ,cos not ordered in 1st week of Nov, should have been in January’s production

If I had to guess I would say “May or very end of May” for yours👍
Your dealer may be a little optimistic. I’m seeing late August/early September and that’s assuming no additional hold ups once it arrives in the UK as there’s been a shortage of drivers to deliver from arrival at the docks to the dealer.

Don’t get me wrong Hyundai have quite often beaten their estimated build dates, but especially in the current climate I personally wouldn’t like to be quoting ‘only’ 22 weeks.

For anyone reading this thread thinking of buying a Kona, there are a lot of dealer build slots that aren’t assigned to customers yet, as well as a few dealers that even have cars in stock ready to drive away today. Most of these pre-builts are Premium trims with no extras and 75% 64kWh, 25% 39kWh. Range of different colors. So if not too picky most people won’t have to wait anywhere near this long for a car.

·
Registered
Hyundai IONIQ
424 Posts
From reading this I guess I was very lucky.

I ordered a 64khw Kona Premium SE in Knight Grey around the 10th October. It arrived on New Year's Eve.

This was through Lex autolease
I assume you mean an earlier year and not October last year? - So probably before all of these issues started. In which case that sounds about right for a regular factory order with the usual slight delay for leasing companies.

The Premium SE hasn't been on sale for quite some time now. Since the facelift model came out the UK Offering is SE Connect, Premium, and Ultimate.

If you have actually managed to get a Premium SE delivered only a month ago then that must have been pre-built and sitting around for at least a year now.

·
Registered
Hyundai IONIQ
424 Posts
Has anyone ordered around the 14th of January? Have any of you had a date or anything??
I'd expect you'll probably get it in late May, maybe early June if unlucky.
Speak to your dealer. They should be able to pull up your order and tell you the estimated delivery date. Whatever date they tell you, probably slap one extra week on top due to issues delivering from docks to dealer at the moment, and it should give you a pretty good idea.

·
Registered
Hyundai IONIQ
424 Posts
Ireland dealer, ordered today, ETA May. Let's see if that works...
I’m assuming that was a dealer order that was already in place and you’ve put your name against it then? There’s no chance you’ll get a factory order that fast. Once it is out at sea it’s about 8 weeks to delivery to the UK or Ireland, and obviously the wait time for a build slot, and the build process at the factory add a lot on top of this too.

I put my name against a back order build slot for a Kona at a dealer 8 days ago. My estimated delivery date is W/C June 26

·
Registered
Hyundai IONIQ
424 Posts
Dealer has contacted me to say that loads of orders are being pushed back more significantly now, and often with more than one delay per order so it’s going further and further back. He has seen lots of cars supposedly go into production but not come out by the expected dates either.

I’ve been offered an IONIQ which I’ve now accepted as an alternative.

There’s a ship that’s already en-route that has a number of unsold Ioniqs on board in a range of trims and colors. Just in case it helps anyone who’s after a car in a hurry. I appreciate this model won’t suit everyone as a replacement but it’s something to consider.

·
Registered
Hyundai IONIQ
424 Posts
we ordered a kona ultimate first week of January 2022 from cars 2 barnsley.we have had no contact from Hyundai unless we Bug them . Same from dealership but they say that will change??? .we got told March / April now supply is saying august dealership is saying October so who do we put our trust in??? Any information from anyone else to there Predicament with ordering a Hyundai kona ultimate electric would be fantastic
I’d go with the October suggestion. Ultimates are only made in small batches that are produced weeks or sometimes even months apart.

To be honest even at the start of the year, anyone who told you march or April was very poorly informed because even back then, that would have been crazy optimistic for an ultimate.

I’d say go with the October guess. If you’re lucky it might come a little sooner. But you’ll not know anything until the dealer finds out that it’s suddenly finished production early out of the blue.

If you’re after a car sooner, there’s a chance you might be able to pick up a Premium if you are in the right place at the right time. It’s rare now but there are still a few unallocated builds going through. Otherwise there’s my earlier comment around Ioniqs too which will be easier to get a hold of. Otherwise it’s just a case of playing the waiting game.

·
Registered
Hyundai IONIQ
424 Posts
When I talked to supply they said it didn’t mater what grade either premium or ultimate the wait was the same?
Whether you go for a 39 or 64kWh battery, SE connect or Premium trim it doesn’t matter which no. But with the Ultimate it definitely does. They’ve always been produced separately to each other and in limited batches but the lower number of orders they received meant that lead times were comparable.

More recently we are typically seeing longer delays being added on to the orders of ultimate models vs premium ones. Typically 6-8 weeks longer from what I’ve seen but if you’re unlucky it could be longer.

It’s very hard to give you an answer because if you watch the order trackers they tend to jump around quite a bit, and then out of nowhere you’ll find they randomly slapped a month or two of delays to your order.

The best advice I can give is to expect the later of the two estimates you’ve been given but hope for better. And if you’re after a car sooner than take a look into the Ioniq. If that model works for you then you should be able to drive away in one within a month.

·
Registered
Hyundai IONIQ
424 Posts
Hi koda how do you get to watch the order trackers please????
I’ve got a good dealer who just emails me a screenshot or sends a text whenever something changes, or every few weeks if there’s otherwise no contact just so I’m kept up to date and know I’m not forgotten about. He’s always done this with all my orders.

Some dealer networks have their own trackers you can log into online. But otherwise it’s a case of getting your 10 digit Hyundai order number and contacting Hyundai each time you want to get an update. From what I’ve been told Twitter is the easiest way though not something I’ve personally tried before.

·
Registered
Hyundai IONIQ
424 Posts
This is definitely just hopeful thinking, but does anyone think there's a possibility of a few upgrades on the konas that are due for October time? I'd love side parking sensors and rear USB (which weirdly only the UK doesn't have) and rear air vents. With the cost of the kona. Its a shame they don't have that.
Even if there was a change to specification, the majority of the time you would get the car as it was described at the time of ordering and the new spec would only go out to those who put in the orders after the announcement.

There’s a new Kona design that’s being developed but as I understand it the changes are more substantial than that. Even if it’s announced between now and your car being delivered, your chances of getting substituted with one of those is almost nil. The current facelift design is still quite recent so I don’t anticipate any minor tweaks between now and then.

·
Registered
Hyundai IONIQ
424 Posts
Is anyone wating for a premium and how long? I've heard they aren't as delayed as the ultimates. I ordered a premium through work at the end of December, might only have been processed early Jan, but as it's through work I have no real updates or a dealer to get in touch with. I'm hoping it'll arrive soon, just hoped there would be someone out there who ordered at a similar time that'll be able to tell me if it's on a boat yet!
There's a ship - 'Morning Concert' - that's arriving at Tilbury in the early hours of tomorrow morning which has a lot of Konas on board. From what I am told this should have some SE's and Premiums on board that were ordered towards the end of last year. Due to significant delays at Tilbury I don't think most people have any chance of seeing their cars from this ship until some time in June now.

If it's not on this ship then there's not another arrival at Tilbury that could contain Kona EVs until mid-June (plus the ever-increasing time required to transport from Tilbury to dealer) assuming this ship does actually depart Korea as expected next week... There have been a couple of voyages that were cancelled at the last minute recently.

The problem is these are dealer orders. If it's been ordered via your employer's fleet scheme or a leasing company then your order date doesn't necessarily have any relation to the date a car was actually allocated to that company. It could be much sooner, or much later. If you try to press the company a little they SHOULD be able to provide the Hyundai 10 digit order number. That would then allow you to approach Hyundai themselves and ask for the estimated schedule for the build, shipping and delivery of your order.

·
Registered
Hyundai IONIQ
424 Posts
Hi Paul on another forum it said there is a ship leaving on the 15/06/22 from uslan to tilbury with Hyundai’s on it . But I got a shipping date of the 30/06/22 . Can’t some how see that they would be two ships in one month??? Unless they have managed to catch up on some back orders .we ordered our kona ultimate on 6/01/22
The Grand Pavo left on the 15th of last month and is due to arrive into Tilbury in a couple of weeks time. There’s nothing leaving on the 15th of this month so I suspect you might be confusing this ship’s voyage date?

There’s provisionally a departure at the end of this month but it’s not fully scheduled just yet. Wouldn’t be surprised if it was the 30th and your car was on that.

From what I’ve seen recently they’re sending them out 5-6 weeks apart. Two ships a month would be very rare. If anything it would be less frequent not more - There was at least one journey this year that got scrapped at the last minute and never happened.

You can check the Eukor website closer to the end of this month and look at the shipping schedules from Ulsan to Tilbury to see what’s happening.

·
Registered
Hyundai IONIQ
424 Posts
Us too Paul we have forgotten how the car looked inside and how much we enjoyed driving it . The 8/9 months of waiting takes the shine off it . We just hope it will have all the features it should have as Peugeot have been sending there Vehicles out to customers with some of the spec missing.it a take it or leave it Attitude as they know they can sell it too next customer in line ???
Also your Kona should be exactly as specified. Nothing missing (aside from the usual Hyundai UK exclusion of mats and a few emergency kit items)

Hyundai are pretty good with stuff like this and communicate clearly if anything has to change. What you order is typically what will come - and so far there’s no changes announced to this model unlike uncorking Ioniq 5 models for example which have been dropped to an old version of HDA due to chip shortages. With the Kona nothing was removed, just a longer wait for production of the top spec trim instead.

·
Registered
Hyundai IONIQ
424 Posts
Thanks for that koda any and all information is welcome. We got a update from dealership and first it said 15/06 and then it changed to 30/06 .and car to dealership 31/08 . Is there just one shipping line Hyundai use ???
For the most part everything comes over on a Eukor ship to Tilbury. There's a few exceptions but recently I Haven't seen anything else.

The car to dealer date looks very optimistic honestly. There's a huge backlog of cars at Tilbury and the HGV driver shortage isn't really getting any better. By the time it arrives at Tilbury dock, is unloaded and processed that only gives it a couple of weeks to get to the dealer - And I have seen some people waiting much longer than that unfortunately. I'm not going to call it impossible, but I wouldn't be planning around that estimate personally.

·
Registered
Hyundai IONIQ
424 Posts
My car was delivered on the Morning Concert and docked on 11/05. Anyone else had a car on that boat and have a delivery date? I'm still waiting for mine.
Mine came off it but was one of the first cars to be unloaded, and pushed to the front of the queue since I was owed a big favor. Had it for a couple of weeks now. I don't say that to rub salt in the wound. More just to confirm that the cars really are all here in the UK now and will be processed, hopefully without waiting too much longer!

For everyone else, the backlog at Tilbury is constantly growing and the shortage of delivery drivers isn't getting any better. On average, I think it's taking most cars around 7-9 weeks to get to the dealership. Then up to a week for PDI and preparation before handover depending upon how busy they are.

HOPEFULLY That doesn't get delayed any further. I know Hyundai are having a particularly bad time in other markets right now with a number of last minute recalls that need fixing at the dealership before they can deliver to customers. Hopefully things stay this way as we could do without any further issues and delays.

·
Registered
Hyundai IONIQ
424 Posts
Well if they cancel our orders or ask for more money it puts all Motability orders in question as the Advanced payment has already been agreed…

Hope it doesn’t come to that.
If that happened the order would have to be cancelled altogether. A new model would be a different specification and would need to be reclassified by Motability and added to their listings, and likely at a different price too.

Not Hyundai, but similar things have unfortunately happened in the past. Most recently with MINI and the Cooper SE. The order would be cancelled with Motability and you’d have to place a new order from scratch.

As you say, hopefully it doesn’t come to that. But especially with it being an Ultimate that has an even longer lead time, there is sadly a possibility.

·
Registered
Hyundai IONIQ
424 Posts
Where can I find out when shipments of cars arrive in port?
This is the shipping company they use the most. But there’s occasionally others brought in.

you ideally want to speak to your dealer who should be able to tell you what the tracking data says. Once the car is built the dates they advise tend to be very accurate give or take just a few days most of the time. So will give you a much better idea of what ship it’s on.

·
Registered
Hyundai IONIQ
424 Posts
Got update from Hyundai customer service today who said that my car had been already built!! It was on the ship and should be with dealer on 17 October. When I updated the dealer with this information their explanation for all the discrepancies was that it had been suddenly changed on the system and it's always changing. They agreed that the car had been built and that it was on a ship but it would be arriving on the port on the 2nd of October. According to them due to changes in ship schedules and issues at the port, I'll probably not see the car until November.

I can rest easy now and I'm quite happy with that!
It will be on the Morning Pride ship then. You can track this on various websites online. They rarely arrive to schedule. Sometimes up to a week early. Other times up to 2 weeks late.

The delays at Tilbury are thankfully starting to ease a bit now, but I’d agree with them not to expect to see the car until November to avoid disappointment. If it comes sooner then that’s just a bonus.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts