Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kia e-Niro. On 1st public charge. 7kw so it’ll be slow. I’d like to go home instead of sitting in car watching the blinking light. Do I lock the car? Or does that stop charging? Thank you. Can’t find the info in the manual.

·
Registered
2019 Renault Zoe R110 (ZE40)
995 Posts
Of course you can lock and leave. You're not expected to stay with your car for the full 9+ hours.

Even at rapid chargers you can leave it and return as long as you're not blocking the charger after its done.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Sign up with the NeedToCharge app, stick the sticker in your window, then people can easily contact you if they need to find out how long you’ll be.. Need To Charge

·
Registered
503 Posts
Kia e-Niro. On 1st public charge. 7kw so it’ll be slow. I’d like to go home instead of sitting in car watching the blinking light. Do I lock the car? Or does that stop charging? Thank you. Can’t find the info in the manual.
When you unlock the car that temporarily reduces charging current as that's what you have to do to remove the charge lead. Lock it and leave it nobody is going to be in a mad rush on a 7kw some contacts details in the window is always polite if you are not nearby

·
Registered
16,897 Posts
Sign up with the NeedToCharge app, stick the sticker in your window, then people can easily contact you if they need to find out how long you’ll be.. Need To Charge
I don't think we need to do this with destination charging. That's the whole point of it.

So what if someone is 'waiting' - they can't be that much in a hurry if they're wanting to use a 7 kW charger.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I don't think we need to do this with destination charging. That's the whole point of it.

So what if someone is 'waiting' - they can't be that much in a hurry if they're wanting to use a 7 kW charger.
They don't need to be in a hurry as such, but if I'm out and about and pull up to plug in at a destination charger it would still be useful to know if the person will be back soon.

As you say, it still won't make a huge difference as I'm unlikely to be running on sparks at that stage, or I'd be hitting up a rapid rather than a 7/11kw charger.

But I have requested and been requested via the needtocharge app on a destination charger.

When I contacted someone else they replied that they were just coming back and would be there in 10, so I waited as I was in plenty of time for the cinema.

Last week I received a request, I replied that I had just sat down to lunch and wouldn't be back for about an hour. They thanked me and just parked in a normal space as they didn't have any great need. But they were still able to check.

I've also used the system to alert a driver to a pending parking ticket so it has other uses too, lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts