Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
So now Elon confirmed CT is only for US market. Why Whyyy Elon, Why did you open preorders in Europe before making any sort of research... This is bloody disappointing. I have a CT on preorder, and this is a reason I'm not switching my current car.
Tesla really has some communication issues with customers...

Registered
馃槹

My dream of all the local council vehicles being cybertrucks is dead 馃槗

Surely they will make a RHD for the Aussie market?

Registered
Charging? :unsure:
I'm sure there will be some sort of adaptor. :unsure:

Premium Member
It鈥檚 confirmed then, here in the UK it will be consigned to being a trade promotion vehicle coming to a country show near you, or if it鈥檚 really unlucky will be fitted with a light bar and the words 鈥楧og Unit鈥 emblazoned across the bonnet with high vis chevrons to the side and rear.

It was never really an EU vehicle was it.

Mind you, if we get the 鈥榖est trade deal ever鈥 with our kissin鈥 cousins, homologation may not be a problem...

Registered
He did say a smaller version could be designed for markets outside the US

Reactions: cah197

Super Moderator
So now Elon confirmed CT is only for US market
It is still on the GB website --> Cybertruck and pre-ordering is still active.

Full size US pickups are too big for the UK.

An F-150 standard cab is 2504cm wide and 5791cm long. Adding a back seat makes the thing even longer. The Wheelbase on a crew cab is 163".

"It just doesn't fit" -- Autocar.

Registered
2017 Golf GTE
Is there a requirement for pickups to do a Euro ENCAP test to be sold in the EU?

I cannot see how you can have any sort of crumple zone if the body is made of thick steel plate.

I know that the California emissions rules only apply to cars hence the widespread popularity of these big ICE trucks as personal vehicles. Maybe they are excluded from safety testing too in US.

Anyone know? That would put Tesla off offering the cybertruck here.

Registered
I think it may be that Tesla just want to focus on North American demand at the moment, which is likely to be 500,000 vehicles per year.

There isn't quite the same market for these things in Europe.

Registered
Is there a requirement for pickups to do a Euro ENCAP test to be sold in the EU?

I cannot see how you can have any sort of crumple zone if the body is made of thick steel plate.
It can't have any sort of pedestrian crumple zone when the outside exoskeleton is made from 3mm thick stainless steel. That stuff is as tough as hell and wasn't even deflecting visibly with a sledgehammer let alone someones head. As far as a pedestrian is concerned it might as well be a 3 ton mobile battering ram. (Comparative note - the 9 metre diameter Starship is being built from approx 4mm thick stainless steel, and is 50 metres tall...)

As soon as I saw the Cybertruck reveal I thought "no way will that ever be legal in the EU". Unless it gets some sort of huge exemption there are a whole host of safety regulations it won't be able to pass.
Surely it could be a commercial vehicle which gets round some of the issues.
Because commercial vehicles are allowed to mash pedestrians into a pulp with impunity ? :p

Registered
It can't have any sort of pedestrian crumple zone when the outside exoskeleton is made from 3mm thick stainless steel. That stuff is as tough as hell and wasn't even deflecting visibly with a sledgehammer let alone someones head. As far as a pedestrian is concerned it might as well be a 3 ton mobile battering ram. (Comparative note - the 9 metre diameter Starship is being built from approx 4mm thick stainless steel, and is 50 metres tall...)

As soon as I saw the reveal of the Cybertruck reveal I thought "no way will that ever be legal in the EU". Unless it gets some sort of huge exemption there are a whole host of safety regulations it won't be able to pass.

Because commercial vehicles are allowed to mash pedestrians into a pulp with impunity ? :p
You really do lack any imagination.

Do you think that Tesla lack the know how to develop crashworthy compliant cars?

Registered
You really do lack any imagination.

Do you think that Tesla lack the know how to develop crashworthy compliant cars?
Really ?

Go and watch some NCAP videos and look at the pedestrian part of the test where a pedestrian's head or torso impacts the bonnet and how much the bonnet is designed to deflect on modern cars to soften the blow on the pedestrian.

The bonnet is deliberately "soft" on modern cars, and is required to be either raised up significantly above the engine (hence the "high bonnet" styling of so many cars these days) or have a system that automatically pops up the height of the bonnet just before the impact to provide said clearance to give the bonnet sufficient room to deform.

A 3mm thick 301 or 304 stainless steel bonnet will not deform at all when struck by a pedestrian. You can be sure the pedestrian will deform though...

Go on, use your amazing imagination to come up with a solution that doesn't involve not having a 3mm thick stainless steel exoskeleton.

Crashworthy is not just about protecting the occupants inside the car. In the US they will get an exemption for it being a "truck" (pick up truck) as most other US "trucks" are similarly deadly to pedestrians. That won't fly here though.

Registered
Really ?

Go and watch some NCAP videos and look at the pedestrian part of the test where a pedestrian's head or torso impacts the bonnet and how much the bonnet is designed to deflect on modern cars to soften the blow on the pedestrian.

The bonnet is deliberately "soft" on modern cars, and is required to be either raised up significantly above the engine (hence the "high bonnet" styling of so many cars these days) or have a system that automatically pops up the height of the bonnet just before the impact to provide said clearance to give the bonnet sufficient room to deform.

A 3mm thick 301 or 304 stainless steel bonnet will not deform at all when struck by a pedestrian. You can be sure the pedestrian will deform though...

Go on, use your amazing imagination to come up with a solution that doesn't involve not having a 3mm thick stainless steel exoskeleton.

Crashworthy is not just about protecting the occupants inside the car. In the US they will get an exemption for it being a "truck" (pick up truck) as most other US "trucks" are similarly deadly to pedestrians. That won't fly here though.
So you can鈥檛 think of a way to solve the problem.

Maybe leave it to the guys who sent Astronauts to space and land rockets back on earth for re-use...

Registered
So you can鈥檛 think of a way to solve the problem.

Maybe leave it to the guys who sent Astronauts to space and land rockets back on earth for re-use...
Your blind faith towards Tesla is always endearing in a cute kitten kind of way. The rest of us prefer to engage our critical thinking skills.

Oh wait, did you think SpaceX design and build Tesla's ? ;)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts