Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So 2 weeks ago I contacted CYC by both Twitter and email to ask why the charge points at 2 critical locations by me aren’t working (the hospital and the train station) and I’ve still not received a reply. I paid £20 for the rfid card to be able to use them and can’t use either.

The one at the hospital is really important as it’s the only rapid charge point available there, it has no power to the unit at all.

The one at the train station is a fast charger with 2 sockets, both sockets have power and let you select them using your card etc then say ‘charging’ but neither charge at all (I left it for 8 hours last week when I was at work). My cable is fine as I’ve used it elsewhere.

I’ve tried calling CYC too but just don’t seem to get anywhere with them. Have they always been a shambles like this?

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,186 Posts
Not always. The problem with CYC is that they don't maintain the chargers. They're the property of whoever hosts them (usually the local authority) and its down to them to sort it out.

Some councils are on the ball, others couldn't give a toss and will leave them broken for months before finally agreeing to a one off maintenance visit, or simply decommission and remove.

Thankfully places are starting to get rid of CYC. Councils are signing up to new charging contracts with companies like Electric Blue now who are doing a way better job in the areas they have taken over.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Thankfully places are starting to get rid of CYC. Councils are signing up to new charging contracts with companies like Electric Blue now who are doing a way better job in the areas they have taken over.
Possibly more accurately, they are getting contracts which will ensure maintenance. CYC cannot be blamed if they are not contracted to maintain.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Possibly more accurately, they are getting contracts which will ensure maintenance. CYC cannot be blamed if they are not contracted to maintain.
Chargemaster can and do offer to maintain. They just aren't very good at it. I've seen some councils do this and as a result end up moving onto the Polar network instead. Things break down and you still end up waiting on average about 6 weeks from what I've seen... Likewise I've heard the council say they've given the green light for CYC to get either the manufacturer or some other approved maintenance engineers out and still have to wait weeks from that point before there's any more progress. I'd say they still deserve at least some of the blame here.

Since Electric Blue got involved in my area I've been seeing regular visits from their team coming out to check chargers, clean them, clean their bays, and in the event of a failure the longest I've seen a device offline for is 2 days.

·
Registered
112 Posts
They were a complete and utter shambles in Manchester charge points only got fixed because ev drivers were CONSTANTLY frustrated by the lack of points available and ringing and emailing to say points were not working.
The whole set up was a lesson in patience with break downs waiting to happen from the start. By installing machines which were not robust enough to be running almost around the clock. Average fix was 4 to 6 weeks duration before failure.
They (Mcr Council) have gone with Swarco and called the network Be.Ev. Its too early to tell if we will be back to "square one" in months to come. I'm not holding my breath ! Especially since Be.Ev have "missed" replacing a few charge points that were on the network for over 4 years-taken out in 2019 by Travel for Greater Manchester and the space just left empty. I've emailed them with all the locations and post codes-no reply-plus made the obvious point that the amount of machines was adequate 4 YEARS ago but Its a joke now when no more have been added.
Overall its an up hill struggle compounded by the people answering the providers emails or phones NOT driving an electric car so the person on the other end of 99% of "enquiries" made in the street-sometimes in the pouring rain-have not got a clue of the frustrations faced by us.
Bob leaf

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great to hear everyone’s take on this because it is so frustrating.
It’s the lack of replies from anyone willing to take any responsibility and engage with customers, that’s what we are at the end of the day. It’s things like this that make people who are thinking of switching over to go “forget it”. Imagine a remote petrol station not being open for 6 weeks and nobody telling people why, there would be chaos.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
The one at the hospital is really important as it’s the only rapid charge point available there, it has no power to the unit at all.
Talk to the hospital. Almost certainly they've just turned it off.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I’ve tried calling CYC too but just don’t seem to get anywhere with them. Have they always been a shambles like this? ......

some things don’t change it seems. Polar have been marginally better. Maintenance contract responsibility as suggested is a big part of the problem. Northumberland County Council or one person within the team have been very responsive whilst Newcastle Council I am not sure about. Fortunately many of the old CYC points are being replaced. With some going to Polar challenges seem to remain.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Not quite the same thing... Chargeplace Scotland charge-points, but the rfid card is branded CYC. Going back a few years, many local 7kW charge-points not far from me that would have been really handy located in P&Rs and local train stations. Installed in the ground for years but never turned on/commissioned yet boasted about on their web sites [CPS & ScotRail]!? So old now they have been ripped out and finally replaced with working units. But too late for me now working from home thanks to covid.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
some things don’t change it seems. Polar have been marginally better. Maintenance contract responsibility as suggested is a big part of the problem. Northumberland County Council or one person within the team have been very responsive whilst Newcastle Council I am not sure about. Fortunately many of the old CYC points are being replaced. With some going to Polar challenges seem to remain.
Northumberland have ditched CYC. Some have already been taken over, or replaced by Electric Blue. Others are sitting around in free vend waiting for progress that was halted by the whole COVID-19 Thing. Hopefully by the end of the year everything has moved over to them and things can continue as planned.

Newcastle have been approached by EB too but a contract is still yet to be signed. Currently the only units that are getting replaced are the ones that are being ordered by the likes of car clubs to operate from (For example Dean Street MSCP) And even they are only getting installed with A LOT of persuasion and persistence.

Thankfully Fastned have now arrived in the city. You also have some Polar chargepoints coming to QPark on Stowell Street in the near future I believe. Other than a few remaining working CYC posts at Grainger Town car park Newcastle isn't doing so well for EV Charging at the moment.

·
Registered
Zoe ZE50 GT Line R135
246 Posts
What ere Electric Blue like for pricing and ease of use?

The only ones I've come across are a pair of rapids outside the County pub on Gosforth High St. They've been in for months, but not switched on, and the CYC posts that were already there seem to have faded out now.

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe (ZE40) Q90
1,193 Posts
Electric Blue App
No connection fee | No subscription fee | No minimum spend
Electric Blue iOS and Android Apps are available from their respective App Store and Play Store. Just search for Electric Blue, download the App, and install like you would do for any other App.
Looks like the price is around 25p per Kw , not many chargers on ZapMap

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
What ere Electric Blue like for pricing and ease of use?
25p-29p/kWh around here depending on council. Pay by App, Free RFID Card (Settled by monthly direct debit) or Contactless payment on their new chargers. They also revert to free vend if there are any communication issues rather than risking leaving you stranded like some others do.

24/7 Telephone support who actually know what they're talking about, maintenance teams who regularly visit to clean and service chargers and repair issues within a couple of days. They have also said they will always aim to install at least 2 chargers at every location, even most of the ones they are taking over from CYC.

Basically they have very quickly become my favorite charging network in this area. They're giving an Instavolt-level of service but as a bonus are cheaper and also keeping Zoe drivers happy with AC support too.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Chargemaster can and do offer to maintain. They just aren't very good at it. I've seen some councils do this and as a result end up moving onto the Polar network instead.
That doesn't really add up. BP Chargemaster operate both CYC and Polar, but Polar is their primary brand and CYC is just a brand they bought in and probably want to run it down as much as possible. If Chargemaster really aren't good at maintaining points that is hardly going to encourage the councils to continue using them on Polar.

I think it's actually that with CYC the maintenance is extra and councils don't like unexpected charges so they will offer Polar as a more easily budgeted price alternative. (I don't of course know the detail of any of these contracts, this is just a guess)

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
That doesn't really add up. BP Chargemaster operate both CYC and Polar, but Polar is their primary brand and CYC is just a brand they bought in and probably want to run it down as much as possible. If Chargemaster really aren't good at maintaining points that is hardly going to encourage the councils to continue using them on Polar.

I think it's actually that with CYC the maintenance is extra and councils don't like unexpected charges so they will offer Polar as a more easily budgeted price alternative. (I don't of course know the detail of any of these contracts, this is just a guess)
I feel like I worded that badly. What I mean is the local authority got the sales pitch for a complete service contract, and as a result we're moved from CYC to the Polar Brand.

I realise what I typed made it sound like I was saying they suck so let's spend more money to be tied into a contract with a company that sucks.

Unfortunately that still is true though, like I said I've heard the council explain that they have requested a one off CYC repair, or have called on Polar as part of the contract. Both have often led to waiting several weeks before anything was done about it.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
If Chargemaster really aren't good at maintaining points that is hardly going to encourage the councils to continue using them on Polar.
I doubt that many councils are engaged enough to understand.

When Source East abandoned their charging network (of Chargemaster posts), Chargemaster offered to fix and maintain them for free as long as they then got the contract to roll out the charging network locally.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Re Electric Blue, their site only mentions the app, they don't have Chademo and no one has managed to get the Colchester one to work yet (according to the Zap Map comments).
Another one to avoid for me.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Re Electric Blue, their site only mentions the app, they don't have Chademo and no one has managed to get the Colchester one to work yet (according to the Zap Map comments).
Another one to avoid for me.
Just had a look on Zap Map. That's a very weird one. Never seen a 43kW AC socket on its own before. Thankfully around here we have the more traditional triple head rapids including Chademo. As you can see equipped with credit card terminals, and happily accepting RFID cards since that's how I pay every time I use them. You do have to ask for one though, they don't advertise that.

According to comments the Colchester chargepoints are working with RFID cards but not the app.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts