Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm slightly unclear on what's what re charging in Scotland, but I've got a nice list of convenient CYC Rapid chargers and just want to make sure I go about accessing them in the correct way. I think that CYC and Chargeplace Scotland are kind of under the same umbrella. I have the CYC app and have successfully used it to start a charge at Casteview Park-and-ride chargers near Stirling, but it also says that you can buy an RFID card for £20, just wondered if someone knows what advantage having the card will give me ?

any help most appreciated (bear in mind that I don't live in Scotland, but quite like travelling up there.... particularly while free charging continues ;)

Paul

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I live in Scotland and use the RFID card every 2nd day plus sometimes multiple times over the weekend. It never fails.

.I have tried the app multiple times, it's always a hassle and mostly it fails. The latest reason given by the helpdesk ( after a longish wait) was that the Android version on my 2 year old phone was incompatible ( too old). I had been told a year before that my Android version was too new.

It might work for any Apple folk, but it didnay for me.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Very occasionally I come across chargers that have not worked with the app, have no ID number on them and don’t appear on the map/list. Also chargers that have not activated with the rfid card but start with the app. Only ever happens when you really need a charge far from home, lol Best to have both and also to say I think the app is dated, slow and... well crap. So much easier tapping a card.

Reactions: freddym

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gotcha, so it's basically reliability.... or at least another chance at it. thank you, I'll give it a try, also, if it's quicker, that's handy, because I'm pretty unlucky and can turn sunshine into pouring rain as I approach a charger :)

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,543 Posts
You'll need a card for the rapid in Crieff as the one here was in a bit of a mobile signal black spot when it was installed. It's fine now, I've have managed to watch NetFlix when I needed a charge quicker than the home one could supply in the time I had. There could well be others.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sorted, one is on it's way, must admit, really enjoy my little trips around Scotland, heading up there in a few weeks.

thanks guys, for all your replies, as always :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts