Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got an e-mail from @CYC saying that there are changes to the T&Cs. Having forgotten I even set-up an account I wanted to go to my account and review my personal data and if I had any credit or card details. Unfortunately the morons who implemented this will not allow a login to review personal data *before* agreeing to the new T&Cs and no way to cancel and close the account.

I had to phone up and spoke to a very abrupt woman who "disabled" my account. But no mention of what happens to my personal information, especially given I have not agreed to the new T&Cs.

Professional? No.

0/5, would not recommend.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I have just received an email from Charge Your Car (whom I registered but have never used to date) who have said they are warning me of an impending change in their terms and conditions, among other things they've changed. One they highlighted was that they will now charge an "Admin Fee" of £5 for account errors for charging sessions (app or card) or representing account info if your bank account fails for any reason.

Now I understand while businesses need to make money and recover costs to remain profitable, this blanket cost of £5 is, in my view, not a pre-estimate of their losses for representing account information.
I.e. They are charging too much for errors.

Given that the bank should be liable for erroneous account errors, then is CYC is also attempting to charge for these errors too, so you'll get hit twice for the same error in banking.

Now I've never used CYC and have not been in a position to use their card or service, so I feel that is highly unlikely (now) that I probably will at all. I'm now wondering if I might be better off just asking for refund of the cost of the £20 RFID card I bought.

Also if anyone disagree's with their new terms and conditions (as with ANY term and condition change you ever been given) you have the right to disagree/dispute them during their notice period. If you don't write to them to say "I dispute your new terms and conditions" or words to that effect, then you will obviously agree to them by acquiescence (silent agreement).

If you agree with what their doing, then do nothing. It's up to you.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hi Peter

Sorry to hear you had trouble cancelling your account. To explain the change, if a card for CYC is due to renew or a driver uses a Charge Point with a tariff on, we notify them in advance to let them know via email. If, for any reason, this payment then fails CYC is charged by our banking provider. For the last few years, CYC has taken this cost on the chin. Unfortunately now this has gotten to a level that we cannot afford any more and so if a payment is declined an admin charge will be added to your account to cover costs, in the same way you have an admin charge on your phone contract if something similar happens.

Your account has now been disabled. Subject to specific local legal requirements, the Company will normally retain your personal data during the course of transactions and for a period of 7 years afterwards in order to be able to discharge obligations in relation to tax and accounting information, to deal with queries and for risk management purposes. The Company does not retain your location data whilst using its application or account card, other than recording the location of charging points used by you for billing purposes.

Apologies if the operator you spoke to seemed a little stressed this morning, as you can imagine we've had a LOT of calls from drivers asking why we're now 'charging them £5 for every session' We're a small team and we're normally very friendly (I like to think) but things have gone a little into meltdown today. However I've spoken to the team and made them aware of your complaint.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
25,296 Posts
@CYC - I think you are missing the first point Peter made - he was willing to manage his account, but you'd introduced a new barrier forcing him to accept T&Cs he didn't want to accept.

I have found this on a number of occasions with other service providers, and it is infuriating. If there are new T&Cs and you decline to accept them, no alternative is often given. This is unreasonable if you have a live account.

You can't change the terms of access BEFORE requiring acceptance of Ts&Cs. You have to ask if a user wishes to move to the new arrangement by accepting the Ts&Cs, and if they don't give them due notice the old platform will become defunct in a set, and reasonable, period of time so they can shut their account down in a controlled fashion.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hi Donald

A point well made, I will flag this up with our developers and ask that in future we provide some mechanism for not accepting the changes which will automatically cancel your renewal and allow your access card to run out on the same T's+C's

Again though, we are not adding this charge to be vindictive. We're merely trying stop losing money.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
25,296 Posts
A point well made, I will flag this up with our developers and ask that in future we provide some mechanism for not accepting the changes which will automatically cancel your renewal and allow your access card to run out on the same T's+C's.
OK, well that's a good lesson learned that many companies would do well to learn.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
I think a £5 charge is very reasonable. Banks and credit card companies charge about £12 - £15 for similar.

I think the CYC service is great value for money. Sometimes I'm slightly embarrassed by my monthly charge being as low as 75p.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,627 Posts
Hi Donald

A point well made, I will flag this up with our developers and ask that in future we provide some mechanism for not accepting the changes which will automatically cancel your renewal and allow your access card to run out on the same T's+C's

Again though, we are not adding this charge to be vindictive. We're merely trying stop losing money.

Perhaps give some sort of notice period detailing the proposed changes instead of implementing the changes immediately, that would give people a chance to log into their accounts and make the necessary changes before the T&C's changed.

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,886 Posts
Hi @CYC I am interested to know how this change affects those of us with Lifetime Cards - the T&Cs are not clear (especially as they make no mention of the annual fees)

·
The best there is at what I do
10,627 Posts
I think a £5 charge is very reasonable. Banks and credit card companies charge about £12 - £15 for similar.

I think the CYC service is great value for money. Sometimes I'm slightly embarrassed by my monthly charge being as low as 75p.
One of the reasons I cancelled my card is because on a few occasions I was charged £4.50 for around 3kWh, I have no idea why this happened but this highlights why the charges should be per kWh and not time based.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hi @CYC I am interested to know how this change affects those of us with Lifetime Cards - the T&Cs are not clear (especially as they make no mention of the annual fees)
Hi Matt

Those with lifetime cards are not affected in the same way. Their cards don't need to renew and so there is no chance of a payment bouncing for that, so no charge will be applied. If a drivers with a lifetime card Charges on a post with a tariff and this cannot be claimed from their bank for whatever reason, CYC will be charged by our payment provider, so the admin charge will be applied.

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,886 Posts
Hi Matt

Those with lifetime cards are not affected in the same way. Their cards don't need to renew and so there is no chance of a payment bouncing for that, so no charge will be applied. If a drivers with a lifetime card Charges on a post with a tariff and this cannot be claimed from their bank for whatever reason, CYC will be charged by our payment provider, so the admin charge will be applied.
Thanks for the clarification - perfectly clear now (y)

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@donald was exactly right and nice to see some positive feedback from @CYC

I don't actually care what the new T&Cs said, I just wanted to shutdown my dormant (and forgotten about) account once I was reminded it exists and based on the terms I originally must have signed up to.

·
Registered
317 Posts
And... now that I am in I am liking the "My Charge Points" list - very handy. Just wish the page was taller as it fills less than 50% of my monitor vertically!
God, I know. Hideously ugly at present. Thankfully it's only a beta version at present. A new, lovely looking reactive layout should appear very soon.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
I agree with what they're doing. They're passing on a cost. Your bank or credit card will charge if a payment fails or bounces so why not.

You've never used CYC so what's the problem? I use them and am totally happy with them. Write to them and cancel your card if you wish. As you say, it's up to you.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,578 Posts
I wouldn't be in the least surprised if a number of EV owners have intentionally changed their card details so as to avoid successful charging for charges, or registering with an account that only had sufficient funds to register for the card.

When presenting a card (or using app) does it allow charging irrespective of your account balance? If so then I totally understand why CYC are passing on that cost, they're getting fleeced otherwise.

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,886 Posts
God, I know. Hideously ugly at present. Thankfully it's only a beta version at present. A new, lovely looking reactive layout should appear very soon.
Nice, I would also love to see a much bigger map on the main CYC page (maybe via a button to pop out) as it is a pain peeping through the keyhole trying to figure out what is going on!

Actually, I now use this instead as it is a much better view ;-) CYC Map iFrame

·
Zoe Devotee
8,578 Posts
I'm liking the direction the website is going, good work @CYC

1 - 20 of 70 Posts