Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else had this?

Affecting 7kW Elektromotive 'Elektrobay' posts in Islington and 7kW APT 'evolt' post in Derbyshire. All CYC.

Only happened since last week - previously successfully charging my MY2017 i3 via our 3-ph 32A cable at the posts in Islington.

Now gets stuck on "Ready to charge" (elektrobay) or ends session instead of starting charge (evolt).

A 3kW CYC post in Islington via EVSE cable started to charge but ended early, 5-10 mins in.

I've tested the car/cable on a Polar Chargemaster 7kW post nearby which charged successfully.

Any similar experiences and solutions keenly sought!

Edit: Another i3 was successfully charging at the evolt post before us...

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For the benefit of others who get this in future

CYC daytime phoneline is obviously much more clued up than out of hours operators. He says it's a known i3 issue with Elektrobay posts, concerning the final electronic handshake between the car and the post. He advised trying 2 techniques:

1) Connect in reverse order to the norm, i.e. Plug into post first, then car, then lock car. Didn't work for me.

2) When all plugged in, unlock car and unplug from car. Plug it into again and re-lock car. Tried this a couple of times. SUCCESS!

·
Registered
296 Posts
I've had similar experiences at type 2 chargers, but not specific to CYC. Some of my problems seemed to be linked to opening a front door after the charge had started - that stopped the charge, and the car won't accept charge again until after the doors have been closed and locked. However, on some occasions, that break seemed to be sufficient for the chargepoint to have lost the authorisation to charge, so the car's port would show the blue charge indicator but nothing else was happening. When starting a charge, I now try to leave the driver's door ajar and don't close it properly until I've retrieved anything from inside and am ready to lock up and leave.
I've never (yet) had a problem linked to opening the tailgate, though.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Sandbee.

PS Worth adding that the Derbyshire evolt problem may have been unconnected (scuse pun) to the above. It's not a known issue with the post model and many other cars had been unable to charge. So he thought the charging point had an undiagnosed fault.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
For the benefit of others who get this in future

CYC daytime phoneline is obviously much more clued up than out of hours operators. He says it's a known i3 issue with Elektrobay posts, concerning the final electronic handshake between the car and the post. He advised trying 2 techniques:

1) Connect in reverse order to the norm, i.e. Plug into post first, then car, then lock car. Didn't work for me.

2) When all plugged in, unlock car and unplug from car. Plug it into again and re-lock car. Tried this a couple of times. SUCCESS!
I have been experiencing this problem when using the EVolt chargers in Great Malvern. Yesterday, I got a failed charge and whilst I was sorting it out I was approached by a very nice chap that runs the Malvern EV event. He was telling me that the problem is down to the EVolt controllers which are now over 5 years old. He did say that Chargemaster are pressing the Council to have the posts replaced but the Council are keen to keep them free to use.

I can usually get a charge by playing around with plugs, locking, unlocking etc. I am not sure whether it is (a) or (b) that works. I shall experiment with the posts when I next need a charge.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Just to follow up on my earlier post. I arrived at the Great Malvern chargers today to find a Polar CM engineer working on one of the three posts. I mentioned the problem that I was having getting the car/post to connect to start a charge. As luck would have it, my attempt failed so I moved to one other other posts that had been checked/serviced. The charge started immediately.

The engineer opened up the back of the EVolt charger that had failed to initiate a charge. He found that the neutral wire needed to be replaced and there was evidence of arcing across the terminal block. He couldn't explain what had happened. I came back to my car after an hour and he was still working on the post.

Question: could post terminal block arcing damage an EV or will the car's protection systems kick in?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sometime in Islington you have to disconnect and reconnect the car end to start charging..

Also watch the post which tells you the draw in amps, and a total kWh take from the vehicle...

Watch your app too, when you leave the car...

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sometime in Islington you have to disconnect and reconnect the car end to start charging..

Also watch the post which tells you the draw in amps, and a total kWh take from the vehicle...

Watch your app too, when you leave the car...
Hi Alec.

Nice to hear from a fellow 'Islinger' - first time I've come across one.

Which app are you referring to? Presume you mean the BMW app - not aware of an Islington one, would be great if there was though.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just to follow up on my earlier post. I arrived at the Great Malvern chargers today to find a Polar CM engineer working on one of the three posts. I mentioned the problem that I was having getting the car/post to connect to start a charge. As luck would have it, my attempt failed so I moved to one other other posts that had been checked/serviced. The charge started immediately.

The engineer opened up the back of the EVolt charger that had failed to initiate a charge. He found that the neutral wire needed to be replaced and there was evidence of arcing across the terminal block. He couldn't explain what had happened. I came back to my car after an hour and he was still working on the post.

Question: could post terminal block arcing damage an EV or will the car's protection systems kick in?
I was there today and my Leaf refused point blank to take a charge from any of the three posts. A Kona was plugged into the middle post but I couldn't get the Leaf (24kW) to talk to the posts. Annoyingly this was after I failed to get a charge at the H2O Cafe in Colwall because nobody knew how to turn the charger on.

The old evolt chargers are getting a bit long in the tooth, it's impossible to read
the status displays as the screen is now frosted plastic.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts