Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm back in the EV world, Ioniq due next week after 2 years of ICE.

Anyway, we have an old 7kwh CYC branded point at our NHS office, its used for a pool car and for staff if/when needed.

I was there today and met a colleague who was trying the point, new to EV and he was struggling, no worries I thought I'll help out.

Long story short we both get "card not found" when trying to use swipe card (it isn't on the app) so I call the CYC number the 0191 as listed on the point.

Not really much help as the point "isn't on the official list" nothing i can do.

Excuse my ignorance and I haven't really looked in depth as yet, but CYC was taken over by Chargemaster, who have joined BP but also have something to do with Polar? but who is actually "responsible" for the point? I'm having no joy tracking it down :(

It used to be so simple before, problem with point, ring CYC , it was reset and charge initiate all good. I had thought that over the past two years that we would have had more progress with EV support and infrastructure, but so far all I can see is backwards steps, well in the Newcastle area anyway!

So glad I have the pod point at home for when the Ioniq arrives.;)

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,183 Posts
It could have gone to another operator. CYC just do the back end for payments. Worth checking with ZapMap and plugshare to see who they think it's with.

If it's not on the app then it's probably not theirs.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, when i say "not on the app" well it's listed on the app, but no option to initiate a charge, just says free to use.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
925 Posts
It will be owned by the hospital estates department I suspect, I have looked into a similar story where I live and was told the land owner who put it in is responsible for maintaining it.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,183 Posts
If it's free to use what happens if you just plug in the car, post end first then car end without tapping any card or anything? Does it do anything? Are there any indicator lights on it?

Is there an emergency stop twist handle? If so the unit can be reset that way if just plugging in doesn't make it start.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
925 Posts
Since it sounds like an old point probably installed under a different exec team who tend to change, they may have little interest now that “Fad” has moved on. There is never a shortage of hairbrain projescts in the NHS to mark as higher importance!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It will be owned by the hospital estates department I suspect, I have looked into a similar story where I live and was told the land owner who put it in is responsible for maintaining it.
That's another thing to add to the mix. It's a rented office space (private firm) but the actual points were paid for by NHS years ago.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
925 Posts
If it's free to use what happens if you just plug in the car, post end first then car end without tapping any card or anything? Does it do anything? Are there any indicator lights on it?

Is there an emergency stop twist handle? If so the unit can be reset that way if just plugging in doesn't make it start.
Do 7kw posts have emergency stops? I have only seen those on rapids.

But getting estates to turn it on and off at the maintenance box may clear it.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Its an old single head type 2 thing. No response from it until you swipe a card, People who have used the point for past year or two still work. So i believe.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
925 Posts
That's another thing to add to the mix. It's a rented office space (private firm) but the actual points were paid for by NHS years ago.
Oh that sounds like bad news then as if it’s not used for the NHS now they’ll just leave it without repair.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its still NHS who use it mate, its just they have outsourced where we work so we are using private building rather than NHS owned (backhanders somewhere no doubt)

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,155 Posts
They are old posts that were previously on the CYC network but are no longer, since the maintenance contract ended after not being renewed. They are now the responsibility of the land owner if they want to do anything with them.

The database will still remain on the charging post the last time it was worked on, or received a remote update depending on what model that unit is. So an old CYC/CPS Membership card should still work, but the app will not, nor will a Polar plus card, or a recently issued CYC card... Unless it has corrupted over time (it does happen sometimes especially on the first gen. Elektrobay points)

Some places are gradually taking up new contracts with the likes of Electric Blue, who are pretty much taking over all the abandoned CYC locations around Tyne and Wear at the moment, and a few others going to Hubsta. NHS Properties seem to be amongst the worst affected right now, but things may get better over time if they continue to sign these new contracts.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They are old posts that were previously on the CYC network but are no longer, since the maintenance contract ended after not being renewed. They are now the responsibility of the land owner if they want to do anything with them.

The database will still remain on the charging post the last time it was worked on, or received a remote update depending on what model that unit is. So an old CYC/CPS Membership card should still work, but the app will not, nor will a Polar plus card, or a recently issued CYC card... Unless it has corrupted over time (it does happen sometimes especially on the first gen. Elektrobay points)

Some places are gradually taking up new contracts with the likes of Electric Blue, who are pretty much taking over all the abandoned CYC locations around Tyne and Wear at the moment, and a few others going to Hubsta. NHS Properties seem to be amongst the worst affected right now, but things may get better over time if they continue to sign these new contracts.
oh, that is good to know, some useful information mate. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
A select few people made a lot of money running those early charging 'networks' by doing not much at all aside from getting the early government grants and setting up a system which involved them doing nothing but persuading people to have a 'free' charger installed on their land.

Turns out the charger maintenance was all down to the landowner who obviously was never going to pay for a repair to something he thought was free. I remember chargers being broken when installed and NEVER working. How much money did the 'network' owner get for arranging that install?

Then the network 'owners' sold their 'network' for, in some cases, millions of pounds.

The whole thing is bizarre.

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,158 Posts
But getting estates to turn it on and off at the maintenance box may clear it.
This is definitely worth trying. “Switch it off and turn it on again” sounds like a simple solution to a problem but often works!

Reactions: JohnMars

·
Registered
125 Posts
Well I'm back in the EV world, Ioniq due next week after 2 years of ICE.

Anyway, we have an old 7kwh CYC branded point at our NHS office, its used for a pool car and for staff if/when needed.

I was there today and met a colleague who was trying the point, new to EV and he was struggling, no worries I thought I'll help out.

Long story short we both get "card not found" when trying to use swipe card (it isn't on the app) so I call the CYC number the 0191 as listed on the point.

Not really much help as the point "isn't on the official list" nothing i can do.

Excuse my ignorance and I haven't really looked in depth as yet, but CYC was taken over by Chargemaster, who have joined BP but also have something to do with Polar? but who is actually "responsible" for the point? I'm having no joy tracking it down :(

It used to be so simple before, problem with point, ring CYC , it was reset and charge initiate all good. I had thought that over the past two years that we would have had more progress with EV support and infrastructure, but so far all I can see is backwards steps, well in the Newcastle area anyway!

So glad I have the pod point at home for when the Ioniq arrives.;)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Not much has changed in 2 years then. Ex CYC points remain broken and those that have been ‘converted‘ to Polar continues to give grief, at least for some of us. A case in point is the bank of charge points at County Hall in Morpeth. I have spent more time on the phone to Chargemaster than actually charging. At least the Hubsta points on some NHS premises actually work!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have also looked round the city centre and where a few years ago we had a lot of type 2 bays dotted round and in the multi stories, seems now most are either broken (for a while) or have been removed altogether.

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,155 Posts
I have also looked round the city centre and where a few years ago we had a lot of type 2 bays dotted round and in the multi stories, seems now most are either broken (for a while) or have been removed altogether.
Dean Street was recently replaced with a new Chargemaster unit but is only 3kW. Grainger town is next on the list and I Think they are going 3kW too. Quayside and Eldon Garden haven't yet been confirmed but it seems likely in the not too distant future.

The privately owned car parks are seeing charging units being installed too. The Gate have Pod Points, and next door the QPark at Stowell Street is rumored to be getting a much needed rapid charger by the end of the year, likely on the Polar network.

Fastned plans are still in place and due to go ahead too, but I haven't heard anything else about it at all this year.

The street chargers and those in surface level outdoor car parks are all due to be removed if they haven't already been. They have proven unrelaible, had countless complaints about trapped cables, and subject to regular vandalism. Unfortunately the council haven't been smart enough to remove the road markings and signs to say EV only, and CEOs are still instructed to ticket cars who are parking in those bays despite charging posts being missing for well over a year in some locations like Collingwood Street.

Newcastle City Council still haven't got a new contract in place as far as I am aware so things are moving fairly slowly right now with current installs or maintenance being agreed one by one at the moment. All the other local authorities in Tyne and Wear have now signed up with Electric Blue who have been moving pretty fast across the river in Gateshead... They even finally brought a new, working rapid charger to Metrocentre again! With any luck it won't be much longer because I agree trying to get a decent charge in Newcastle city centre is a nightmare especially when busy.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
oh, that's all good too hear.

Hopefully it will all start making sense once I have had the chance to get around and investigate myself :):)

Car is to be delivered tomorrow so it's all good.

Cheers.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts