Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
eNiro 64kWh 2021. Ioniq 38kWh 2020.
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are a few threads about 'packing and racking' on eNiro's, but these have not been added to for a while, so I thought I would start another with some questions I have.

I will be planning (CV-19 and BoJo dependent) on travelling through France with 3 bikes. In the past I have used roof carriers, but as fuel economy has taken a huge hit by destroying the aerodynamics, I don't want to follow this option with an EV. We will be stopping enough anyway to recharge (I will be looking at the charging options in another post).

I can see the 'tow' bar and cycle carrier option mentioned, but as this is invasive and we have a leased car, I don't think this is a great option.

So, I am looking at rear cycle carriers. I can see people using Saris Bones 3, so does anyone have any experience with this? Saris' site does not have a recommended carrier for the Niro, it says 'Sorry! We do not have any approved rack fits that match your criteria'.

Are there any other options?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4+ Yacht Blue. Jan 2021
163 Posts
The boot door on the e-niro is aluminium, which is why it is classed as a no-no for boot mounted carriers.
The other issue is the large spoiler at the top of the boot door which is a bit fragile if mounting straps push down on it.

I used a Saris Gran Fondo carrier, which fits well as the straps don't push down on the spoiler.
But the strength of the boot door is a concern still.

I've switched to a roof carrier for now as I only need it for local trips.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
946 Posts
Maybe put the bikes in the car with the backseat partially down and use a roof box for your stuff? I think a roof box has less impact on consumption than 3 bikes.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The boot door on the e-niro is aluminium, which is why it is classed as a no-no for boot mounted carriers.
The other issue is the large spoiler at the top of the boot door which is a bit fragile if mounting straps push down on it.

I used a Saris Gran Fondo carrier, which fits well as the straps don't push down on the spoiler.
But the strength of the boot door is a concern still.

I've switched to a roof carrier for now as I only need it for local trips.
Thanks for this. I have seen people on this site and others using the Saris bones 3 and mounting it in a way that doesn't affect the spoiler, but I supposed the alu door is an issue?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I researched all the choices, but nothing will beat a tow-bar with a bike carrier. As you said, it's an "invasive" approach, but actually adds value to the car, and if you pick the right hitch, it could be removed so that you don't even know there is a tow-bar installed.

I'm still waiting to get mine installed due to some problems with the documentation, but definitively fought for this option with the dealer, as they were trying to convince me to get the roof-mounted one.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
946 Posts
I researched all the choices, but nothing will beat a tow-bar with a bike carrier. As you said, it's an "invasive" approach, but actually adds value to the car, and if you pick the right hitch, it could be removed so that you don't even know there is a tow-bar installed.

I'm still waiting to get mine installed due to some problems with the documentation, but definitively fought for this option with the dealer, as they were trying to convince me to get the roof-mounted one.
I see you're in Spain? (or maybe you use a VPN). So am I and I got permission from the ITV. The key issue is mounting a tow-bar that is for bike carriers only. That way, they consider it an accessory for bikes which does not require homologation.

If you have a '21 then it is homologated for towing 300 kg (I believe) and there shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thanks, from the images I have seen, they cut a hole in the undercarriage, which would be an issue for a lease car I assume.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I see you're in Spain? (or maybe you use a VPN). So am I and I got permission from the ITV. The key issue is mounting a tow-bar that is for bike carriers only. That way, they consider it an accessory for bikes which does not require homologation.

If you have a '21 then it is homologated for towing 300 kg (I believe) and there shouldn't be an issue.
there are two versions of the car in Spain, and sadly, mine has some... let's say controversies. In order for the car to be valid to towing, it must comply with the DGT and with the CoC (which is at EU level). Both MY21 versions comply with DGT, but it seems that only one E11DY1 is recognized at CoC level.

It's a paperwork error by Kia, and in order to get my approved, they need to run an "individual validation check". It's an expensive process, and definitively not worth for an owner, but as it was an error by the dealer, they are paying for it :).

·
Registered
82 Posts
Well, I got bad news today. The approval center communicated that individual validation will not be possible if the CoC says it's not valid for towing.

So my only solution is going to be a tow bar for vertical carry. Enough for bicycles but can't be used to carry anything else.

·
Registered
82 Posts
OMG... Bureaucracy at its best. The MY21 is homologated for towing in (AFAIK) all EU countries, but Spain is different.
Actually, it's the Canary Islands importing a different version. In mainland, the CoC specifies 300Kg, whereas in the islands not. And it seems that as the car is imported from outside the EU, the CoC has priority over the technical specs recognized by the DGT (which says it has support for 300Kg).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts