Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone...

We are a UK based manufacturer of cycle carriers.

As you're probably aware there are a number of issues with putting cycle carriers on E-cars. Put them on the roof and you reduce your battery range, the rear hatch is generally lightweight and often leaves the bike sitting too high.

We utilise an American style hitch that can safely and legally be fitted to E-Cars (Certainly in the UK and much of Europe - Not Germany yet!) and will give you a real option to carry bikes on your EV.

The last piece of this puzzle is outside of our control... We require a 13 pin output for the lights and we need an Automotive electrical manufacturer to finish this aspect for us.

So, if you're interested in this proposition, can I ask you to go to our website and register your interest, so we can prove that there is interest to the manufacturer and hopefully get the ball rolling on production?

If you go to our website to register, we will only contact you about the carrier, I assure you:

Cycle Carrier for Electric cars |

Regards,

Pete @ Auxtail

·
Zoe Devotee
8,983 Posts
Most EVs are not rated to have tow bars fitted, if this is where the hitch mounts you might find that a bit of an issue.

Reactions: cah197

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,491 Posts
We utilise an American style hitch that can safely and legally be fitted to E-Cars (Certainly in the UK and much of Europe
Can you provide some more detail on this claim? It was my understanding that unless a car has a quoted GTW on the V5 (most EVs don't) then you can't technically fit a hitch. (Questionable if the Police would choose to prosecute, of course.)

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,653 Posts
I think you' LL find that most EVs are not rated for TOWING.

Nothing to stop you from fitting a towbar as long as you don't tow with it. Which is exactly what is proposed here

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,330 Posts
...and you want to drill holes all over your EV to fit a tow hitch.

Not sure what’s wrong with a standard rear hatch cycle carrier.

·
Registered
VW eGolf
274 Posts
The American-style hitch receiver is a horizontal square tube (pointing backwards) that you then attach things to. Different size tubes for different rated loads. Similar in concept to the detachable ones here but a standardised car-side fitting.

I really prefer that design, it makes far more sense for bike carriers than trying to clamp something on to a towball or bolting to the plate behind. Would be quicker and easier to fit and leave less sticking out the rest of the time. Very different loads from a couple of bikes on a rack than a 1 ton or more caravan.

Rear hatch carriers are terrible. Faff to set up with the straps and lots of potential for damaging panels or paintwork.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,983 Posts
I think you' LL find that most EVs are not rated for TOWING.

Nothing to stop you from fitting a towbar as long as you don't tow with it. Which is exactly what is proposed here
The law stops you from fitting a towbar and not using it. ;) Fitting it a permanent modification, if your car isn't rated for one and you fit it you've instantly invalidated your insurance.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,330 Posts
The law stops you from fitting a towbar and not using it. ;) Fitting it a permanent modification, if your car isn't rated for one and you fit it you've instantly invalidated your insurance.
Could you not just declare it to the insurance company as a modification?

·
Registered
755 Posts
Not entirely sure what the problem is...

Just stick the Thule bike racks on the roof and go. Had 4 bikes up top no problem. Consumption impacted somewhat, but no more so than in the previous ICE car.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,653 Posts
Could you not just declare it to the insurance company as a modification?
That's what you usually do and they accept it as not increasing your risk. However I have never tried it with a car not rated for towing. I do think that they'd throw a wobbly since there's nothing to stop you towing once the towbar is there.

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
It's certainly not a towbar, just a structurally secure mount (for a cycle carrier). It would only be in conflict with the EU towing directive and it's national implementation if a towing device such as a ball AND a trailer etc was attached.

There is still a question to be answered as to how the attachment to Leafs, Zoe's, eGolfs etc will be made.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,653 Posts
On the eGolf you have a fighting chance that the standard Golf towbar attachment method will work.

For the others you're on your own. Ask Mr Witter maybe?

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Etailer dot com have a video showing how to attach their own hitch to Leaf and fitment of their cycle rack to same. Nothing to stop any Leaf owner importing from US. Ryder Towing have plenty of universal interface for sorting out the light board. Job done for Leaf!

Now Zoe? i3?, Kona? Soul?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Most EVs are not rated to have tow bars fitted, if this is where the hitch mounts you might find that a bit of an issue.
You'll have to excuse me, as I'm NOT the technical part of this outfit! Craig Broadbent who designed the system is an Ex Nissan engineer who designed chassis for them.

My understanding is that if you are TOWING with the hitch, yes you'd have problems, but to attach a bike carrier is NOT an issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
...and you want to drill holes all over your EV to fit a tow hitch.

Not sure what’s wrong with a standard rear hatch cycle carrier.
EV cars are very lightweight to compensate for the weight of the batteries... It would be relatively easy to damage a rear hatch with bikes on... On the whole they're just designed to take it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The American-style hitch receiver is a horizontal square tube (pointing backwards) that you then attach things to. Different size tubes for different rated loads. Similar in concept to the detachable ones here but a standardised car-side fitting.

I really prefer that design, it makes far more sense for bike carriers than trying to clamp something on to a towball or bolting to the plate behind. Would be quicker and easier to fit and leave less sticking out the rest of the time. Very different loads from a couple of bikes on a rack than a 1 ton or more caravan.

Rear hatch carriers are terrible. Faff to set up with the straps and lots of potential for damaging panels or paintwork.

We agree!!!!

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,330 Posts
EV cars are very lightweight to compensate for the weight of the batteries... It would be relatively easy to damage a rear hatch with bikes on... On the whole they're just designed to take it.
Apart from most are versions of ICE vehicles, not lightweight aluminium construction.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts