Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys, noisy pump from rear engine bay. This is the culprit in the photo. Anyone confirm what this does, brake vacuum? Looks easy to replace. Thanks
59A4B220-489D-4BBC-AAE6-A099996CB5D9.jpeg

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
That pump has been subject to two recalls - yours looks like it hasn't been replaced so I would definitely get onto them to see if it has been replaced in the last recall - if not they should be doing it free of charge!

If they won't, you might be able to fix it. One of the problems the recall addressed is that the exhaust port of the pump is prone to being blocked up by dirt and mud from the road. A vacuum pump with its exhaust port blocked will of course get noisy. So check and clean that if they won't replace it under recall.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fingers crossed this could get fixed under recall :) So far working fine just noisy but needs to get sorted sooner rather than later. Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Chatted with several Citroen dealerships, just to make sure... The upshot is the pump has already been replaced :( So looks like it will be a DIY bodge if it fails 😁

·
richi.uk
138 Posts
Ah, but was it replaced with the part with the WHITE dot? (near the Mikuni logo on the flat part of the fat end). I don't see the white dot in your photo, but the angle is tricky.

If it's not got a white dot, I believe it was replaced with a bad part, and should be replaced again.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tried again, no joy. In fact after the airbag recall, which was an utter farce, I'm happier sorting it myself. Main stealers are a total pain. Got a replacement part for £30 all in. A UP28 off a 2016 Vauxhall Mokka. I probably won't fit it it straight away but have it stashed so it's there just in case. I'm also going to fabricate a bracket like the one on the link earlier in the thread. I'll update when fitted, eventually, lol. Thanks again!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
UP28 brake vacuum pump installed this evening as the endless buzzing from the old unit was driving me nuts, especially at the McDonalds drive-through, lol! It's like a different car now, well you know what I mean.

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
So was your brake assistance not working properly or was it just taking a long time for the pump to top up the vacuum after each pedal press ? Mine is still working "OK" but now you bring this up it does seem to take a bit longer for the pump to cut off than it used to after each pedal press. Hmm...

Did you take any photos of the new pump fitted ? Is it a good fit ? I assume you needed to splice the wiring to the old connector ?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Morning!

Pump was running frequently for long periods also very noisy. Never used to be like this. Replacement is quieter and runs for shorter periods.

Didn’t want to risk a possible breakdown.

Ordered a sheet of aluminium to fabricate a bracket. Until then it’s cable ties. Will post a pic then.

Undoing the pump bolts were a pain, needed lots of penetrating spray and cleaning off the filth prior to working the bolts loose.

cheers

·
richi.uk
138 Posts
Yeah, that sounds very much like a failing pump.

I think the usual failure mode is that the outlet gets blocked with muck, making it less efficient (so runs for longer). Over time, it wears out the pump (gets noisier), until it completely fails. (My failure mode was different, caused by a sheared bolt.)

My cable-tie-and-jubilee-clip bodge still stands. I put the subframe mount back on and attached the new pump to that, as it had some rubber isolation, and the two holes lined up nicely with the mounts on the Hella UP28 I used. See pic (click to embiggen):
IMG_20190324_161908 (1).jpg

1 - 20 of 30 Posts