Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it okay to change from B to D and vice versa on the move. Manual not very specific About this.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,963 Posts
Don't forget that it's only a software control and the changeover is gradual rather than instant. Other manufacturers provide paddle controls to do similar, it's a pity Nissan don't.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Is it okay to change from B to D and vice versa on the move. Manual not very specific About this.
Eco mode, ok to activate, max once a year to check its working, and then for no longer than a minute..!!

Note: B mode, brake lights do not activate automatically, so can create alarmed expressions to the faces of those in cars behind..!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Getting a bit worried about the last couple of replies. Seems Eco is not recommended, wouldn’t mind an explanation of why. The B mode brake lights worry me now. I have tried reading various threads on this subject but it’s such a maze I got lost.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Getting a bit worried about the last couple of replies. Seems Eco is not recommended, wouldn’t mind an explanation of why. The B mode brake lights worry me now. I have tried reading various threads on this subject but it’s such a maze I got lost.
Don't worry, just drive it.
B mode is the same for nearly all EV manufacturers, brake lights are not required on that level of regen. Obviously the brake lights operate when the brake peddle is operated.

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
Seems Eco is not recommended, wouldn’t mind an explanation of why.
Ignore them. Eco mode gets a reputation for making cars boring to drive because it dulls the throttle response, and generally gives minimal savings at best by itself. However, the dulled throttle response is supposed to make you more inclined to drive gently (because you need to press the accelerator harder than normal to accelerate quickly), so you get eco savings by it "suggesting" a particular driving style. On some cars (not sure about yours), it also limits the maximum power, which only really matters if you're hooning it or overtaking. Personally, I use eco mode nearly all of the time on any car that has it, because I prefer the dulled throttle response, because I find it easier to control and more comfortable. It is also useful when it is slippery, because the dulled throttle response makes it harder spin the wheels. Of course, all of this is moot if you floor it. Basically, drive it in whatever mode you like, the only thing that eco mode hurts is your "street cred", and I don't know about you, but I'm old enough to not care.
The B mode brake lights worry me now.
It's no different to an ICE driving everywhere in 2nd and lifting off the accelerator - engine braking kicks in and the car slows down pretty quickly. There is (now) a rule somewhere that brake lights need to come on if the car is decelerating quicker than a certain amount (can't remember it off the top of my head), so if you're car is newish, they should activate. Best thing to do is find a quiet road on a dark night and experiment a bit - I can see my brake lights illuminating trees and suchlike when it's dark, so I could get an idea of when they activate and when they don't.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great post cdlb. Just the sort of answer I needed. Whilst in town I will continue to drive in B mode and ECO. As I’m not a boy-racer (I’m in my 70's) being unable to do a wheelie when the lights turn green doesn’t bother me.
ponce again, great forum.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I'd recommend D, then flip to B only when you need it (like driving in Milton Keynes).

Eco is very useful and I use it on every journey - I turn it on as I reach my destination, and off again as I start....

That way, the wife is always driving in Eco - we don't want all that power available to her, do we?

·
Registered
432 Posts
B is definitely not more efficient per se. It gives you more regen by default when you lift off the accelerator. That might be useful if you need to slow down or it migh waste energy if it slows you more than necessary. The most efficient driving style is to avoid unnecessary acceleration and to maintain as much of your momentum as possible. Switching between D and B frequently can help with that.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,590 Posts
And for Nissan drivers doing long trips, there's a case for avoiding using B mode, in order to reduce the amount of regen, as that heats up the battery and hastens the onset of rapidgate.
Not on Leaf 2s. The BMS will cut down charging or regen current depending on battery temperature.
On a long journey you want every extra mile that regens provide so madness not to let it regen.
I prefer 'D' and E-pedal, although locally D, Eco & E-pedal works for me.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
I tend to drive in D mode most of the time, and engage B sometimes when going down a hill to recoup some electrons. But that's just my personal driving style. I don't have to bother about conserving battery while I am not going anywhere during lockdown. On the rare occasions I need to charge (at home), on my rare outings I try to drive to get it down to 80% or less if it's gone over.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Great post cdlb. Just the sort of answer I needed. Whilst in town I will continue to drive in B mode and ECO. As I’m not a boy-racer (I’m in my 70's) being unable to do a wheelie when the lights turn green doesn’t bother me.
ponce again, great forum.
"Ponce again, great forum" indeed! :)

For what it's worth Tyler, I prefer to ponce around in eco usually. It's just a bit easier! I will knock it off though if someone's up my rear on a motorway slip road or similarly being a bit EV disrespectful in another situation (come on, don't we all? We have to show them sometimes). I prefer B to D mode usually and use e-pedal quite a lot. I find that an unintended advantage of a higher regen mode means I keep to an urban speed limit better; the lack of roll seems to make that easier for me. I don't combine e-pedal and eco though, that is just too dampening. We're all different, these are just my preferences.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts