Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Vauxall Corsa E
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot of people seem to think that B mode enables regenerative braking (that's what the guys who sold me the car thought - but what do they know?). But I've noticed that in D mode the energy display shows plenty of regenerative braking when you put your foot on the brake. I think light braking pressure uses regenerative braking in either mode, and only heavier pressure on the brake pedal engages the disc brakes.

I think what B enables is what I'd call "simulated engine braking", i.e., when you release the accelerator, regenerative braking cuts in and slows you whereas, in D mode, you just coast.

So when I read about preferring D mode in range stretching I'm dubious. Like the Eco mode, you can achieve the same effect by the way you drive.

Which suggests that the fancy new "e-pedal" is no more than an exaggerated B mode.

What's your experience?

·
Registered
19 Posts
You're partly right. ePedal is a more exaggerated form of B-mode but has the additional advantage that you don't need to keep your foot on the brake, because the car will come to a complete stop without the need to slam on the brakes. By playing with the gas pedal you can actually pretty much determine yourself how fast the car will reduce speed without ever (except in an emergency stop) having to use the brake. Never drive without it anymore.

·
Registered
943 Posts
B will only (AFAIK) use regenerative braking and never apply the real brakes when you lift your foot. D "coasts" but still does a little regen. ePedal will apply as much real brake as it requires to slow or stop over and above regen.

When the battery SoC is over 97% B and D are almost the same.

I use D when driving on open flat roads or uphill types journeys, B with slight foot on accelerator when going longer downhills and ePedal (with either B or D) when in stop/start traffic.

·
Registered
NISSAN LEAF 62Kwh
1,456 Posts
B will only (AFAIK) use regenerative braking and never apply the real brakes when you lift your foot. D "coasts" but still does a little regen. ePedal will apply as much real brake as it requires to slow or stop over and above regen.

When the battery SoC is over 97% B and D are almost the same.

I use D when driving on open flat roads or uphill types journeys, B with slight foot on accelerator when going longer downhills and ePedal (with either B or D) when in stop/start traffic.
I couldn't have said it better myself, I think this is the best driving style to adopt and I am convinced that employing this style obtains the maximum efficiency from the vehicle.

Regen is good that it harvests energy back into the battery, that would otherwise be wasted through heat in the brakes. But it is far more efficient to drive economically and not waste that energy in the first place, of the regen harvested I would think a good 50% (I am not really sure) is wasted through the inverter and doesn't end up back in the back in the battery.

The most economical way to drive is to coast in "D", but as you say, "it still does a little regen" to stop that little bit of regen, then apply a slight positive pressure to the accelerator, but not sufficient pressure to bring the white bars back on the energy gauge, (no blue bars and no white bars on the energy gauge) hold that position for as long as you can and you are effectively coasting. (this really increases range especially if you are running on empty to get to a charger)

The amount of regen harvested through the brake pedal is reflected in the pressure applied to the brake pedal. Slight to moderate pressure will light several blue bars on the energy gauge, where applying full pressure will light all the blue bars on the energy gauge. (subject to battery SOC being below 97%)

The actual brakes are only applied in emergency stop situations, in the last 5 mph to bring the vehicle to a stop or to stop the vehicle from creeping in slow, stop traffic, when in "D" or "B". (Also when the battery SOC is above 97%)
It all beautifully dovetails together on the Leaf, doesn't it, so you don't really notice that it is all happening.

(E Pedal tip) The "E Pedal" is excellent in slow stop start traffic, it saves having to continually have ones foot on the brake pedal.
When take you right foot off the accelerator it automatically switches on the rear brake lights, when at a stop in a traffic queue, a slight positive pressure on the accelerator, but not enough pressure to engage the drive motor, will turn the rear brake light off, so not blinding the driver behind you.

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, Outlander PHEV
2,594 Posts
I'm on old leaf so no ePedal.
I use B mode in stop start traffic and in instances where I can see the need to brake faster with a for on accelerator to control the regen amount.

Sure D mode can when pressing the brakes and I do use brakes irrespective off the noise.

The thing ePedal does better is to brake to a stop (I've seen B mode take it down to 8 mph or so) and light up the brake lights (that B mode does not)

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
I'm on old leaf so no ePedal..
...The thing ePedal does better is to brake to a stop (I've seen B mode take it disc to 8 mph or so) and light up the brake lights (that B mode does not)...
Indeed. ePedal is very good for parking - it even works in reverse.

It also saves holding your foot on the brake when sitting in traffic queues or at the lights.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts