Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that a few people like me would like to have DAB on the 250e, but this is not an option if you have the radar assisted regen option. If you have MB Connect Online, then you can tether your phone to get internet radio, but this is not particularly easy and more than a little cumbersome.

I use an iPhone with Apple CarPlay, but I am sure that Android devices with AndroidAuto will work as well if you have this.

So, I use an App called Tunein Radio, which is easy to use and enables you to get internet radio in an easy app. When I connect the iPhone to the MB250e, this app icon is included on the screen with the other apple icons in Apple CarPlay, making it easy to scroll across and access hiss free BBC 5 Live and digital stations like BBC 6 Music. Yes, you do use mobile data, but extra data is relatively cheap these days, compared to the £430 option of a DAB radio. The only other issue is if you are in areas where you cannot get 3G or 4G.

If I get the chance, I will add an image later of the screen.

·
Premium Member
11,017 Posts
For people who live in areas of poor 3G coverage, there are third party DAB solutions but I guess the windscreen issues would make it difficult in the B250e?

I hear this one is quite good for cars with USB

DAB+U - USB Receiver with Antenna

·
Registered
115 Posts
The Dension DAB+U is a great after fit DAB radio. Best used with a megnetic roof aerial as windscreen DAB aerials will give poor results on the B Class.

·
Premium Member
11,017 Posts
The Dension DAB+U is a great after fit DAB radio. Best used with a megnetic roof aerial as windscreen DAB aerials will give poor results on the B Class.
Their DAB aerial might work OK on the rear quarterlight glass - aerial looks very small and this placement is shown in manual as an option.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Has anyone actually got dab+ to work? I have the regen option so cant have factory fitted DAB, I also have CarPlay but my new journey to work has very very poor phone signal so keep losing connection. Been looking into DAB addon but unsure of the best options been looking at pure highway and also the dension but cant find any reviews on if they work in the b250e.

Also does anyone know the main reason why DAB cant work with the regen option? is it just where the regen is fitted so no space for the DAB?

·
Premium Member
11,017 Posts
Has anyone actually got dab+ to work? I have the regen option so cant have factory fitted DAB, I also have CarPlay but my new journey to work has very very poor phone signal so keep losing connection. Been looking into DAB addon but unsure of the best options been looking at pure highway and also the dension but cant find any reviews on if they work in the b250e.

Also does anyone know the main reason why DAB cant work with the regen option? is it just where the regen is fitted so no space for the DAB?
Denison list the MB system as compatible.

It is the heated windscreen that stops DAB being an option because the DAB aerial normally goes on it and it wouldn't work. That is the same for any other DAB in the car. My suggestion was to fit the Denison aerial on rear quarter light, but I don't have car any longer to check if it would fit, etc.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Do you mean put the airel into the light fitting? Is the windscreen actually heated? I thought it was just treated with some sort of film and the aircon actually defrosted the screen. I thought it was where they placed the regen took the place of the dab module? Also Denison module only works with bclass upto 2007? I may be wrong in a bit of a rush this morning.

·
Premium Member
11,017 Posts
No!
Do you mean put the airel into the light fitting?
NO :) Aerial would go in quarterlight glass window at rear - see below.

I am fairly sure it would work as just emulates a USB stick. Contact Denison if you are worried.

I can assure you DAB is not offered by MB UK due to the windscreen. They offer DAB and range mode without the heated windscreen in some countries that no longer have FM.

mercedes-b-class_2.png

Edit: Thread on windscreen here
Heated front windscreen

·
Registered
115 Posts
The ICE B Class is absolutely hopeless with a windscreen DAB aerial, so I'd expect the B250e to be just as terrible. However, a magnetic DAB aerial on the roof would be fine. Dension DAB+U just plugs in to the USB. It works by making each station an MP3 track. Switching between stations takes about 10-15 seconds while the audio is loaded, but that is the only downside really.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
140 Posts
No!

NO :) Aerial would go in quarterlight glass window at rear - see below.

I am fairly sure it would work as just emulates a USB stick. Contact Denison if you are worried.

I can assure you DAB is not offered by MB UK due to the windscreen. They offer DAB and range mode without the heated windscreen in some countries that no longer have FM.

View attachment 30457

Edit: Thread on windscreen here
Heated front windscreen

I know MB uk do not offer Dab here in the UK with the B250e with the regen option thats a given. But I also can not find anywhere that actually states that the B250e windscreen is electrically heated rather than it just having a coating.

Could it be that the space that they use for Dab in a normal B class be taken up by the module that controls the regen?

·
Registered
140 Posts
The ICE B Class is absolutely hopeless with a windscreen DAB aerial, so I'd expect the B250e to be just as terrible. However, a magnetic DAB aerial on the roof would be fine. Dension DAB+U just plugs in to the USB. It works by making each station an MP3 track. Switching between stations takes about 10-15 seconds while the audio is loaded, but that is the only downside really.

ive seen some videos on it working do you know if it has the dab text come through? Have you used it yourself?

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know MB uk do not offer Dab here in the UK with the B250e with the regen option thats a given. But I also can not find anywhere that actually states that the B250e windscreen is electrically heated rather than it just having a coating.

Could it be that the space that they use for Dab in a normal B class be taken up by the module that controls the regen?
Here is an except from the manual that explains how the windshield (American) heating works. Not the clearest way, a simple button would be better. Here is the link for the full US handbook, I could never find a UK version this detailed
Windshield Defrost.jpg
:

http://www.mybclasselectricdrive.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/2015 Mercedes B-Class electric drive user manual.pdf

·
Premium Member
11,017 Posts
But I also can not find anywhere that actually states that the B250e windscreen is electrically heated rather than it just having a coating.
Use the B Class web configurator and select Range Plus. You will then see the Heated screen is included (zero cost) further down. Click on + and it explains feature.

I am 99.9% sure that lack of DAB has nothing to do with the radar and regeneration.

·
Premium Member
11,017 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Not being able to have an aerial on the windscreen issue affects ALL W246 B Class, petrol/diesel as well as electric.

I have used the Dension, yes. Don't own a B Class any more. Get a magnetic aerial is my advice. It doesn't do scrolling text.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I dont use AM but I really need to try and source out DAB! i cant get a stable internet connection on my commute to work. looking into dension system.

·
Registered
331 Posts
After more listening I think it is the car that is causing the poor reception, the whining and general background noise is throttle dependent, its almost like an older car with an ICE that needed a resistor in the ignition system to prevent interference with radio reception. Anybody else get this with AM??

If you coast with the power meter on 0 there is almost no noise, apply the throttle and the whining starts again, same on regen braking.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Car went into Mercedes last Wednesday to have the poor AM reception fixed. Tried a booster, didn't work so they got Merc Technical involved. Technical know of the problem and there is no solution! Quote "Nobody listens to AM any more, people are all using DAB"!

You cant get DAB on a B class I say, Cant you? say Mercedes!!

Nissan Leaf here we come!!

·
Premium Member
11,017 Posts
A lot of EVs create interference on AM bands. Model 3 drops AM an it is assumed that is the reason.

The B250e does internet radio when connected to wifi hotspot (spec depending?) which I used when we had one. That would be my solution in B250e - 4G box and external mag mount aerial.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts